Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #16

My Wasabi battery dies without warning. it shows a full charge one moment, then the camera just shuts down. It has done this several times. The stock battery never does this, showing a gradual progression to discharge on the battery symbol. I just use the Wasabi as a backup battery now.

06-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Forum Member

Related problems

Allow me to quote a post in another thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/210111-k-01-shutting-itself-d...ml#post2425078
Maybe my problems with the K-01 are related to what has been discussed here.

Has anyone found any answers?

Cheers,

QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
My K-01 has been shutting down unexpectedly when I trip the shutter.
It doesn't happen when filming or in playback mode.
It has happened with three Pentax batteries. One came with the camera (Amazon) and the other two I bought from B&H.
After the camera shuts down, the battery's voltage is 1.7v or 3.5v (can't recall the exact values).

However, after a few seconds in the charger, the battery's voltage output is reset. Maybe some sort of switch is in action here.

But then I measured the battery's output after being charged and it was 8.34v. Is this normal? The batteries are labled 7.2v.

I see the AC adapter for the K-01 outputs 8.3v (I don't have it) and the camera itself is labeled 8.3v. The battery charger outputs 8.3v or 8.4v.

Does anyone have a clue on what may be going on here?

Did anyone have this problem solved?

I've also downgraded from firmware 1.03 to 1.02 and back, to no avail.

Cheers,
06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #18

One of the things with Li-ion batteries is that it has a very flat discharge curve - Meaning that the voltage drops very little over a long period of time, and the at the very end (when you have used allmost all of the capacity) it drops very fast. I am not sure if that is the case with your problem, but what you can experience is that the battery is very close to "empty" and the taking a picture takes quite a lot of juice and the voltage drops below what the camera needs for working. And then just a few minutes in the charger, and it is up again. I have done a lot of testing on different types of battery technologies (not for cameras), and what I have seen, is that there is a huge difference in the quality of the batteries, even within the same brand, an example - we tested a 33 Ah lead acid battery, and well the capacity on the tested samples was between 25 and 36 Ah. (I know that it a completly different story :-) ) We also had another strange problem with our chargers - they were normally in the mains socket, waiting to attatch batteries for charging, but sometimes we went out with the, apparently, fully charged batteries, and very shortly the equipment went on low battery. Strange..untill we found out that some of the chargers didnīt measure the initally state of the battery correctly, when attatched to charger. So it looked like after a short while that the battery was full. But when we removed the charger from the mains, and reinserted it - we could see that the charger started up and did a completly different charging cycle. I know this was a long story, and maybe not helpfull with your problem. But batteries can be rather tricky - and you can get really strange results.
06-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Genesis Quote
[...] We also had another strange problem with our chargers - they were normally in the mains socket, waiting to attatch batteries for charging, but sometimes we went out with the, apparently, fully charged batteries, and very shortly the equipment went on low battery. Strange..untill we found out that some of the chargers didnīt measure the initally state of the battery correctly, when attatched to charger. So it looked like after a short while that the battery was full. But when we removed the charger from the mains, and reinserted it - we could see that the charger started up and did a completly different charging cycle. [...]
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

I normally don't leave the charger plugged in. But I have done so recently. Although I'm not sure that's when the problem arised.

Nevertheless I'll check the state of the charger.

Also, I normally have:
  1. A battery in the camera;
  2. A fully charged one in the bag; and
  3. A fully charged one at home.

And I cycle those three batteries in that same order. When camera's battery is depleted, I use the one in the bag, the one at home goes into the bag and I charge the depleted one as soon as possible (and the it stays at home).

Maybe that isn't the best way to do it?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #20

I would say that you couldnīt take better care of your batteries
07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Battery Dying When Shooting

Hi, I bought the Adorama 40mmXS bundle and Power2000 battery(2100mah) kit in November and having the same issue with ONLY my Pentax batteries dying. I say batteries plural because I got a replacement(2011) battery from Pentax due to this issue. I also have another 2000mah battery(DSTE chinese brand) that works brilliantly. It's ONLY the Pentax batteries that cause the issue when shooting. It seems that my manual lenses don't cause as much of this issue but I think my 300mm has done it before when shooting in lo continuous mode. It seems to happen more with my DA 55-300 and Tamron 17-50. Hasn't happened with my 40mmXS though. Pentax also gave me a charger base unit but had the issue right away on the first charge. I now primarily trust my Power2000 and DSTE batteries and use the Pentaxes when I know I'll have the third party batteries available. I use my Pentaxes as long as I can and when it comes down to one battery, I choose the Power2000. It doesn't always happen so I am living with it but know that it can happen at anytime with a Pentax battery. I was offered to send in my camera body for warranty service but decided against it as the parts ordering might take long right now and make service time a month. I don't think I can live without the K01 for a few days =O I am thus considering purchasing a K50 and selling the K01 after warranty service... another option is to sell my Pentax batteries and get more Power2000 and DSTE batteries as they are much cheaper.

Last edited by airjames; 07-04-2013 at 09:55 AM.
07-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
Forum Member

I just noticed an issue this past weekend when I took out a depleted genuine OEM battery from my K-01, charged it using the Pentax battery charger, and then when I insert it back into the K-01 and try to turn it on, the K-01 doesn't turn on immediately-- instead, it looks dead and the power light does not come on. But then about a second or two later, it powers on. (or sometimes I have to flick the power switch off and then on again, for the camera to work).

Is this typical behavior? I don't have another spare battery for my K-01-- I'm thinking of buying the Wasabi batteries from Amazon but haven't had a chance yet. So I don't know if it's the battery or the camera.

PS: the battery was not fully charged when I put it back into the camera-- I needed to take some family shots right away and couldn't wait for the full charge to complete. Does that matter or play a role in this weird behavior I observed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
07-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes, that's normal. Both my Q and my K-01 have a slight delay after changing batteries.

07-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Yes, that's normal. Both my Q and my K-01 have a slight delay after changing batteries.
Thanks for the info!