Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Senior Member
geezer52's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: High Desert, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 231
Is the K01 Fussy about Batteries?

I have two K-5s and a K01. I have used the Pearstone battery from B&H in my K-5s and it works fine but my K01 won't even power on. I also have a clone battery from BestBatt that works OK in all three cameras.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Since my mirror runaway problem with my first K-5 I have avoided using clone batteries for any extended time. Mainly I use them as a temp until my Pentax batteries recharge. I've often used alternate batteries in other cameras (mostly Panasonics) to no ill effect but Pentax seems to be a bit more particular.

02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
I got my K-01 and put a Washabi battery in it that I already had charged for my K-5 - no problems. I think it has the Pentax OEM in it now but its had 2 battery changes since I got it without any issues at all.
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
I have two K-5s and a K01. I have used the Pearstone battery from B&H in my K-5s and it works fine but my K01 won't even power on. I also have a clone battery from BestBatt that works OK in all three cameras.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Since my mirror runaway problem with my first K-5 I have avoided using clone batteries for any extended time. Mainly I use them as a temp until my Pentax batteries recharge. I've often used alternate batteries in other cameras (mostly Panasonics) to no ill effect but Pentax seems to be a bit more particular.
I have an assortment of Pentax and brand-x batts for k-5, k-5iis and k-01. All get interchanged and never had an issue. So i think the answer to your question is "no".
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member
devorama's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 638
I've used Pentax and Lenmar batteries in my K-01 with no noticeable difference.

02-01-2013, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Forum Member
adsouza's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 51
I suspect the K-01 is battery sensitive, I recently acquired mine from Adorama as a kit with a Power2000 spare battery. Charged the original OEM battery that came with the K-01 and used if until it needed to be recharged. Inserted a fully charged Power2000 battery and the K-01 operated fine. Recharged the OEM battery and inserted it once the Power2000 was depleted.

Switched K-01 on, everything worked OK, but as soon as I fired the first shot the camera would freeze and shutdown. Replaced the battery with Power2000 and all was well, recharged the Pentax OEM battery and inserted into the camera, it would turn on but once the shutter release button was triggered it would freeze and shut down. This kept repeating itself until finally the K-01 Pentax OEM battery would not even turn the camera on at all but the Power2000 would work like a charm.

In frustration, I took the K-01 into Pentax for warranty service and they ended up replacing the Printed Circuit Board and Shutter and I was told not to use the Power2000 battery only to use it in extreme emergency when no Pentax batteries are available. Hence I suspect the K-01 is battery sensitive. The Power2000 is 7.4V 2100 mAh and the Pentax OEM battery is 7.2V 1860 mAh.
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,464
I have the Pearstone from BH - and simply use it as a basic spare. I even used it for the firmware update this week, but wouldn't have risked that if I had seen this thread before then. So, I appreciate hearing about the concern.

I haven't had any problems with that battery - and it certainly appears to be at least a notch better than the Lenmar and other generic brands I've tried on other cameras.
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 269
QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
I suspect the K-01 is battery sensitive, I recently acquired mine from Adorama as a kit with a Power2000 spare battery. Charged the original OEM battery that came with the K-01 and used if until it needed to be recharged. Inserted a fully charged Power2000 battery and the K-01 operated fine. Recharged the OEM battery and inserted it once the Power2000 was depleted.

Switched K-01 on, everything worked OK, but as soon as I fired the first shot the camera would freeze and shutdown. Replaced the battery with Power2000 and all was well, recharged the Pentax OEM battery and inserted into the camera, it would turn on but once the shutter release button was triggered it would freeze and shut down. This kept repeating itself until finally the K-01 Pentax OEM battery would not even turn the camera on at all but the Power2000 would work like a charm.

In frustration, I took the K-01 into Pentax for warranty service and they ended up replacing the Printed Circuit Board and Shutter and I was told not to use the Power2000 battery only to use it in extreme emergency when no Pentax batteries are available. Hence I suspect the K-01 is battery sensitive. The Power2000 is 7.4V 2100 mAh and the Pentax OEM battery is 7.2V 1860 mAh.
I'm not a camera repairman so take this with a grain of salt if you must, but I do know electronics. The symptoms you describe sound like the Pentax battery was bad and wouldn't hold a charge. I haven't run my K-01 battery all the way down yet, but I have several times in my Q. On the Q the camera will shut off when the battery is depleted but you can still turn it back on and get a shot or two before it shuts down again. I've done this for up to 20 times before the camera just wouldn't turn on anymore. I've had other cameras (non Pentax) exhibit the same behavior you're talking about with a depleted battery in that they lock up on shutter press until after a few tries they no longer come on anymore.

As for the difference in the two batteries, the amperage makes no difference in operation. And all modern electronics have regulators to take care of voltage differences. So functionally, the batteries are the same.

So even though Pentax replaced the board and shutter, did you keep the original battery or did they replace that also? I'm just curious so I can make sure what I think I know is what I really know I'm always open to learn something new!
02-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
I ordered a couple of clone batteries from bestbatt.com, and they've been working fine.

02-03-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member
adsouza's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 51
I did keep the battery, right now I have two Pentax OEM batteries and one Power2000. All are fully charged at this point will have to shoot for a while to see what they end up doing. I will report back if there are any more problems. I will keep you posted of my findings.
02-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
I did keep the battery, right now I have two Pentax OEM batteries and one Power2000. All are fully charged at this point will have to shoot for a while to see what they end up doing. I will report back if there are any more problems. I will keep you posted of my findings.
"Fully charged" doesn't mean that the battery is up to specs. Simply because the chargers says its done doesn't indicate that the battery has enough power to sustain operation of the camera. This is part of why I do not like proprietary batteries. With AAs and other standard batteries you have readily available testers and chargers that can rehabilitate (often) a battery that may be defective or not up to standard. With proprietary batteries if they aren't working right you a) have no real way to tell short of much more expensive bench gear, and b) no way to rehab the battery.
05-01-2013, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 38
I am having a similar issue with my K01 that adsouza reports. I dont believe the battery is depleted when the camera shuts down. I can put in my fully charged OEM battery and the camera reports the battery as full. I am able to operate camera menus and even record video but as soon as i try to take a photo the camera will shut off and not turn back on. I have to remove the battery and put it back in the charger before it will turn the camera back on. I only have to put the battery in the charger for a second or two and i can put it back in the camera again and it reports as full and will record video and operate menu functions again. It seems like the charger is resetting something in the battery or something of the sort. None of these issues happen with my non OEM Wasabi brand batteries. Has anyone else experienced something similar or know what might be going on with my OEM battery? I have no other camera i can test my OEM battery in. Thanks in advance!
05-02-2013, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member
ChrisJ's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eckington, Derbyshire UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
I suspect the K-01 is battery sensitive, I recently acquired mine from Adorama as a kit with a Power2000 spare battery. Charged the original OEM battery that came with the K-01 and used if until it needed to be recharged. Inserted a fully charged Power2000 battery and the K-01 operated fine. Recharged the OEM battery and inserted it once the Power2000 was depleted.

Switched K-01 on, everything worked OK, but as soon as I fired the first shot the camera would freeze and shutdown. Replaced the battery with Power2000 and all was well, recharged the Pentax OEM battery and inserted into the camera, it would turn on but once the shutter release button was triggered it would freeze and shut down. This kept repeating itself until finally the K-01 Pentax OEM battery would not even turn the camera on at all but the Power2000 would work like a charm.

In frustration, I took the K-01 into Pentax for warranty service and they ended up replacing the Printed Circuit Board and Shutter and I was told not to use the Power2000 battery only to use it in extreme emergency when no Pentax batteries are available. Hence I suspect the K-01 is battery sensitive. The Power2000 is 7.4V 2100 mAh and the Pentax OEM battery is 7.2V 1860 mAh.
I've worked as an in guarantee repairsman, and what you describe is just a faulty battery which they would have replaced, and I would place a bet that they didn't change the PCB. The 'advice' not to use a 3rd party battery is standard 'gobbldegook' to divert attention from a faulty Pentax battery, Pentax don't make batteries (nor do most manufacturers, Panasonic and Sony are the only AFAIK exceptions), even those labeled Pentax and sold by Pentax are not made by Pentax.

Chris
05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 108
I have a K-01, bought here on the MP, and at least a half-dozen mixed OEM & generic d-li90 batteries and have had no problems with any of them, and the battery life is crazy good. I've taken something like 4-500 shots, not all at once, maybe over the course of a couple of weeks or so, without the battery even budging off of full. My K-7 has good battery life too, but it starts showing depletion at around 3-400 shots.

I don't shoot much video on purpose, so I don't know if that would change anything as far as battery life.

But I haven't experienced any problems like the OP, or a few few others in this thread have mentioned.

Hope this helps.
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 62
I have a generic Maximal Power 7.4v battery that would work just fine with the K5. But when I put this battery in the K-01, the K-01 would not power up. When I take out the same battery from the K-01 and put it in the K5, the K5 power-up just fine and show a full charge.


The K-01 works fine with my two other Pentax OEM 7.2v batteries.
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alexandria VA USA
Posts: 315
No problem with the Wasabi batteries here.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, cameras, clone, k-01, k-5s, k01, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharpness of the K01 + 40xs lens BigMike Pentax K-01 24 12-04-2012 08:53 AM
K01 on The Online Photographer isaacc7 Pentax K-01 26 06-22-2012 06:23 PM
Macro very fussy / furry crawlies margriet Post Your Photos! 6 05-14-2012 02:20 AM
How about the $4 batteries for K-7... henryjing Pentax DSLR Discussion 27 04-13-2010 03:56 PM
Is this the Kenko everyone is talking about? alehel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 03-15-2010 09:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top