Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Therefore, if you manually reset your focus to Infinity when not taking photos, the AF will always be quicker as it will always focus toward the subject first.
Walking around with a lens focused at infinity may not be a good idea on a MILC. If the lens happens to point at the sun it will act like a magnifying glass and could burn the shutter or sensor. This was a problem on early film SLRs that didn't have automatic mirror return. The cloth shutters would get pinhole burns from the sun. I don't know if the K-01 can be damaged from this, but I've got back into the habit of placing my lenses at nearest focus when not taking photos. This would also speed up the CDAF because it can't go any nearer so it has to go the other way.

02-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Walking around with a lens focused at infinity may not be a good idea on a MILC. If the lens happens to point at the sun it will act like a magnifying glass and could burn the shutter or sensor. This was a problem on early film SLRs that didn't have automatic mirror return. The cloth shutters would get pinhole burns from the sun. I don't know if the K-01 can be damaged from this, but I've got back into the habit of placing my lenses at nearest focus when not taking photos. This would also speed up the CDAF because it can't go any nearer so it has to go the other way.
Isn't the shutter on the K-01 metal ? Interesting point nonetheless, which I never heard of, but you are right, setting it nearer will also work on short throw lenses as far as AF speed goes, but I am not sure I'd want to do that with a macro lens though

Last edited by regor; 02-05-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Forgot a word !
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Isn't the shutter on the K-01 metal ? Interesting point nonetheless, which I never heard of, but you are right, setting it nearer will also work on short throw lenses as far as AF speed goes, but I am not sure I'd want to do that with a macro lens though
Yes it is metal and would probably be OK for short amounts of time. I'm more worried about the sensor. If the shutter's open, like it is in live view, the sensor is unprotected. I've honestly never heard of it happening on a MILC, but I have an old Praktiflex SLR without an auto return mirror that has pinholes in the shutter from this happening. So the situation is possible, but the chances of damage are unknown. I just don't want to chance it. And you're right about the macro lens. I don't have one so I don't have to worry about it .