Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
Well, the 01 didnt have a great reception. I mean, some people loved it, but more people didnt. Personally, I'm not a fan. I think the Q is a better partner to the K-5 than the K-01. (I wish Pentax would make a camera with a bloody articulating screen!)

On a side note, I'm surprised the Q isn't marked as discontinued. I thought I read somewhere they're not making them anymore? This is why I assumed they were selling off Q stock around the world.
The X-5 has an articulating screen. It looks like Pentax was testing the waters with the bridge camera for that feature.

02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I'd like to see Pentax continue with the K mount mirrorless, but put the lcd on top instead with a folding hood aka old school TLR !
This would eliminate glare outdoors and would bring back a different composition form !!
02-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So! My beautiful new K-01 is discontinued. At the bargain prices, they will sell out soon. Overnight, looks like we have a collector's item! And, for anyone who doubts the future value of our bricks, look at these side-by-side Dpreview screenshots... we're in good company.
Attached Images

02-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Looks like a good time to try and pick one up on the cheap
Could be a nice upgrade to my trust old K100d second body.

02-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K01 discontinued

Hi to all,

this morning in Germany the magazine ColorFoto brought this news. You can also see it on the Japanese Product site.
Please see ls the attachment.

Best regards
little ulli
Attached Images
File Type: pdf K01_Discontinue.tiff.pdf (284.4 KB, 205 views)
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
It's odd they list it among the Digital SLR Cameras ??
Yes, but it uses SLR lenses ...
02-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Just when there is a groundswell of buying interest and appreciation for it, they finally can it. If there is no K-02 coming, then they are missing out on riding the rising mirrorless+DSLR lens curve. I'm very happy with my pair!

02-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given the big price drop, I rather expected that. The groundswell of interest is at a price which may not make money.
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Maybe, like Amazon and the Kindle, it is sometimes worth selling at cost to drive interest to the rest of your product line?

The K-01 plus 40 XS lens -- at US $400 -- is an INCREDIBLE deal!

The K-01 plus the two kit lenses -- at US $470 -- is an INCREDIBLE deal! The one I jumped at -- and got me started with Pentax digital cameras ... and their lenses ... which will mean more money for Pentax in the years ahead.

Keep the K-01 in production! Absolute killer loss-leader camera!
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Maybe, like Amazon and the Kindle, it is sometimes worth selling at cost to drive interest to the rest of your product line?

The K-01 plus 40 XS lens -- at US $400 -- is an INCREDIBLE deal!

The K-01 plus the two kit lenses -- at US $470 -- is an INCREDIBLE deal! The one I jumped at -- and got me started with Pentax digital cameras ... and their lenses ... which will mean more money for Pentax in the years ahead.

Keep the K-01 in production! Absolute killer loss-leader camera!
I agree in some ways with your views. I did not think much of the K-01 when it was introduced but bought one when its price dropped to $316 with the 40XS and sold the XS leaving me with a body for $150ish - killer deal. However, as best as can be figured out from the data available the last production of K-01s was probably around August, so they've been out of production for at least 6 months. This announcement is merely an acknowledgement of a fact not a change in the camera's actual status.
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree in some ways with your views. I did not think much of the K-01 when it was introduced but bought one when its price dropped to $316 with the 40XS and sold the XS leaving me with a body for $150ish - killer deal. However, as best as can be figured out from the data available the last production of K-01s was probably around August, so they've been out of production for at least 6 months. This announcement is merely an acknowledgement of a fact not a change in the camera's actual status.
+1 - I think there were a couple people on the "has it shipped yet" thread with early September build dates, but that's basically the same thing. It still wasn't selling in September (the kit price was under $600 at that point), so they stopped filling the warehouse shelves. To say "keep selling it" now is like saying a store's fire sale bargains are so good, they should set fire to the warehouse as well.

As a loss-leader, it only works if people who buy the K-01 buy new lenses to go with it, and are the people who only bought it because it was a bargain going to buy many $700 Limiteds?
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I would really like to know is how many there were in inventory September 30th? How many did they Fire Sale? Amazon, B&H, Adorama -- how many were dealt overseas?

1000?
10,000?
Surely not 100,000 That would jus be -- Yikes!!

How about same questions for the original Q. If this happens too often we could all just gamble and wait for end-of-life pricing.
02-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What I would really like to know is how many there were in inventory September 30th? How many did they Fire Sale? Amazon, B&H, Adorama -- how many were dealt overseas?

1000?
10,000?
Surely not 100,000 That would jus be -- Yikes!!

How about same questions for the original Q. If this happens too often we could all just gamble and wait for end-of-life pricing.
When the $350 pricing first hit in October, Adorama's in-stock numbers were viewable on Amazon - of the six categories (yellow/black/white, with/without lens), they had about sixty total (something like 10+10+15+5+10+10). They were gone in a couple days. Amazon had similar numbers, maybe less. I don't know how many units are in a case, but they seemed to restock a couple dozen at a time - quickly first from PRI-North America, then longer delays as they came by ship from Asia. I would say each of the three (Amz/B&H/Ado) sold hundreds, but not thousands. Frys, Crutchfield, and Henry's sold out equally fast, making me think their stock was on the same level.
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

We know that Groupon alone sold more than 1000 in the various sales they have had of the K-01. They also sold over 2000 Q's from the numbers available from the 4-5 sales that they have held of the Q. For example, a single sale of the Q through Groupon resulted in 660+ sold.
02-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So guessing 5000 +/- all in. Doesn't seem like that many units.

Well maybe they can write them off against Hoya or something if it is discontinued.