Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 450
Has anyone used M42 lenses to shoot video?

Hello everyone,
Has anyone used M42 lenses (Taks) on the K-01 to shoot video? How difficult is it ? Good results or bad?

02-13-2013, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
New Member
zach_manchester's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 18
I made this with a SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4. I'm quite new to making video, but was happy how this came out.

02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 450
Original Poster
Zach_manchester, cool video. I like the way you used depth of focus in the video and the creepy music. Did you change the aperture during the video? I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about your video is still bugging me!
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,435
QuoteOriginally posted by zach_manchester Quote
I made this with a SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4. I'm quite new to making video, but was happy how this came out.

Insects - YouTube
I actually rather liked your video. Interesting mood and atmosphere. Music really sells it too. Gotta go out and do some vids with my K-01 one of these days.

02-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
QuoteOriginally posted by zach_manchester Quote
I made this with a SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4. I'm quite new to making video, but was happy how this came out.

Insects - YouTube

A q abt your lens. Are all Super Takumar's m42 mounts? If so, what's a good mount type for a 50mm f1.4 or 55mm f1.8 m42 lens? From what I read, there appear to be two types - one that permits infinity focus, and one that does not. If I am correct, the latter is much easier to remove from the camera and can be treated as part of the lens.

If the lens is mainly for inside/portrait use, would it be reasonable to assume that it's better to get the non-infinity m42 mount? Also will AF work with these cheapish adapters?
02-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,396
QuoteOriginally posted by harioharima Quote
A q abt your lens. Are all Super Takumar's m42 mounts?
Yes. Pentax did reuse the 'Takumar' name for a few bargain K-mount lenses that lacked the coatings (an insult to a great name!), but the "Super Takumars" were all M42. There are also older Auto-Takumars and later "Super-Multi-Coat" or "SMC Takumars".

QuoteOriginally posted by harioharima Quote
If so, what's a good mount type for a 50mm f1.4 or 55mm f1.8 m42 lens? From what I read, there appear to be two types - one that permits infinity focus, and one that does not. If I am correct, the latter is much easier to remove from the camera and can be treated as part of the lens. If the lens is mainly for inside/portrait use, would it be reasonable to assume that it's better to get the non-infinity m42 mount?
The genuine Pentax adapter is the one to get if you are getting only one. It's more expensive, but you don't have problems getting it out of the camera. For the more experienced, the cheap 'infinity' adapters work fine with some mods (remove locking spring, maybe clean up bayonet tabs), but it's best to start with the Real Deal. The non-infinity adapters with the flange aren't really worth it, IMHO. They are useful raw materials for hacking other lens mounts, but that's for those with advanced cases of Lens Buying Addiction.

QuoteOriginally posted by harioharima Quote
Also will AF work with these cheapish adapters?
All of these old lenses are manual-focus only.
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
New Member
zach_manchester's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 18
Thank you for the comments - to be honest, the reason why I bought the lens and adaptor is because I heard and read so many good things about its use for video, especially in low light. But I really haven't had much chance to experiment. As for the m42 adaptor, I bought the official Pentax one from a used camera store - it's also where I bought the lens. Thankfully, we still have a shop like that in Manchester UK!

It's my only m42 lens and I doubt I will buy anymore, so the adaptor stays on it.

Happy experimenting and snapping to you all
02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yes. Pentax did reuse the 'Takumar' name for a few bargain K-mount lenses that lacked the coatings (an insult to a great name!), but the "Super Takumars" were all M42. There are also older Auto-Takumars and later "Super-Multi-Coat" or "SMC Takumars".



The genuine Pentax adapter is the one to get if you are getting only one. It's more expensive, but you don't have problems getting it out of the camera. For the more experienced, the cheap 'infinity' adapters work fine with some mods (remove locking spring, maybe clean up bayonet tabs), but it's best to start with the Real Deal. The non-infinity adapters with the flange aren't really worth it, IMHO. They are useful raw materials for hacking other lens mounts, but that's for those with advanced cases of Lens Buying Addiction.



All of these old lenses are manual-focus only.
Thanks for the input. I was under the impression (based on an auction listing with apparently erroneous description) that the Super-Takumar 55mm had AF.

As for adapter, the "genuine" one appears to run $50-60 at least. Is a Super-takumar (in my case a super-tak 55 f1.8) worth investing $90 compared to just buying a smc-a 50 f1.4 (no adapter needed)?

OP- apologies for the digression...:-)

02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,396
QuoteOriginally posted by harioharima Quote
Thanks for the input. I was under the impression (based on an auction listing with apparently erroneous description) that the Super-Takumar 55mm had AF.

As for adapter, the "genuine" one appears to run $50-60 at least. Is a Super-takumar (in my case a super-tak 55 f1.8) worth investing $90 compared to just buying a smc-a 50 f1.4 (no adapter needed)?

OP- apologies for the digression...:-)
The M42 Taks were made in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, long before AF.

I thought the going price on the Pentax adapter was about US$30, less if you are patient and a little lucky.

The Tak 55/1.8 might be sharper than the A 50/1.4, but so are the K/M/A 50/1.7s. The A lens also gives you all the modes on the camera, instead of just M-Manual.
02-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,435
Just started looking for the official Pentax adapter and I can't find them anywhere. Haven't checked eBay yet but I prefer not to go that route.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, lenses, m42, m42 lenses, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone ever used a Bower Lens? riotgirl_13 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 01-28-2013 11:05 AM
Has anyone used A 50mm? jt1667 Pentax K-r 33 12-12-2012 09:27 AM
Has anyone used h2testw to check for "fake" flash drives? Alliecat General Talk 8 03-27-2012 10:16 AM
Has anyone used this flash/light ring? bluebronco Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 05-18-2011 08:29 AM
Has anyone used their DSLR w/ macro to capture a 35mm negative? geekette Pentax Film SLR Discussion 22 05-02-2011 06:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top