Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have since two weeks the DA 10-17mm fish eye, so I still have to practice.
I have the Samsung/Schneider-badged version. Tokina made a version for Nikon with the exact same same built-in hood (it's threaded for filters!). I like the DA 10-17, especially because it's smaller than most other fisheyes. It does have a reputation as a purple-fringe-monster, that I found to be true.

Like a lot of people, my fisheye experience went (1) cheap conversion lens (2) Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/etc. 8mm (3) DA 10-17mm. But I also pick up other old lenses like the Sigma, as I come across them.

02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I still say the FA 31 LTD makes this cam look best
true:

02-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

true:
Even more jealous now ...
02-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple shots with the Sigma 12mm fisheye. These are SootC. From the EXIF, it looks like I didn't bother to change the focal length for the SR (not that it would have made much of a difference)...

02-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would like to see images made with the fish-eye.
I took the fisheyes out in the cold today to get some quick comparison shots. I guess to be really complete, I should have taken along my conversion lenses. Maybe next time (they might compare to the old Sigma, if stopped down on a good "host" lens.)

Sigma 12mm @ f/8 and f/16. f/16 is the best it can do, but any dust or marks on the front element will show up in the image.

DA 10-17 @f/8 10mm and 12mm. Clearly, it beats the old Sigma. There's some of the trademark purple fringing in the tree branches.

Samyang 8mm @ f/16 and DA 10-17 at 17mm, just for comparison.
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I took the fisheyes out in the cold today to get some quick comparison shots. I guess to be really complete, I should have taken along my conversion lenses. Maybe next time (they might compare to the old Sigma, if stopped down on a good "host" lens.)

Sigma 12mm @ f/8 and f/16. f/16 is the best it can do, but any dust or marks on the front element will show up in the image.

DA 10-17 @f/8 10mm and 12mm. Clearly, it beats the old Sigma. There's some of the trademark purple fringing in the tree branches.

Samyang 8mm @ f/16 and DA 10-17 at 17mm, just for comparison.
Well the Pentax is good.

I have only one image at the moment. It is hard, you need a subject that claims the image.
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I noticed something kinda unusual when I mount any of my many K-mount lenses (some M series and some pre-M). When you mount the lens to the camera it immediately stops down to what ever f-stop the aperture ring is set on. When you turn it on, or bring it out of sleep mode, the aperture blades snap to the wide open position. Any one else notice this? I haven't had any DA lenses on it yet so I don't know if it does it when they are mounted or not.

Ray

02-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
I noticed something kinda unusual when I mount any of my many K-mount lenses (some M series and some pre-M). When you mount the lens to the camera it immediately stops down to what ever f-stop the aperture ring is set on. When you turn it on, or bring it out of sleep mode, the aperture blades snap to the wide open position. Any one else notice this? I haven't had any DA lenses on it yet so I don't know if it does it when they are mounted or not.
The K-01 does it with any K-mount lens. It appears the at-rest position for the aperture arm is *up* on the K-01 and *down* on other K-mount cameras. For the other cameras, holding the lens wide open as soon as it is mounted provides maximum light for the OVF, even when turned off. I'm not sure what the advantage is of doing it the other way - maybe it simplified the design.
02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks Thoog. I did a firmware update on my K5 today and although I didn't remember it when I wrote this post, the K5 does the same thing. I am wondering if maybe it has something to do with the design changes they made to accommodate the Sony sensor.
02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, I tried it on my '30 and it holds the lens wide open as soon as it's mounted, even though the camera is powered off.
02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
A couple shots with the Sigma 12mm fisheye. These are SootC. From the EXIF, it looks like I didn't bother to change the focal length for the SR (not that it would have made much of a difference)...

I forgot that this pano was also made with the Sigma 12mm FE : Johnson Key kayakfari Florida Bay kayak camp - Dermandar

So with some PP and "don't use the corners" .. it can work, but even the Q/03 combo is miles/km ahead of it already!