Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Count me in, as I posted in another thread that my mode dial came off.

Sad.

01-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really MUST pop these off my K-01's and re-glue them...
05-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I was able to get a replacement mode dial by contacting a licensed Pentax repair person. I don't know if he wants this type of thing publicly posted, so PM me if you want details. But here's the thing: This is where the good news ends, however. Nothing is as simple as it seems. The replacement mode dial came attached to the piece that is still stuck in the camera. So the thing that fell off was really only part of the mode dial, from a parts perspective. I'm not sure that I can detach the piece from the new mode dial - it feels pretty secure. And I'm a bit anxious about trying to disassemble the camera to the point that I can replace the whole part. I found the following, but it's not that helpful for someone like me:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Inside the K-01

Nothing on youtube for disassembly.
05-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Ricoh-Pentax should extend the warrantee for this one problem indefinitely- free replacement if it ever comes off. Perhaps you could Dremel the attached piece out of the dial (carefully).

05-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
I was able to get a replacement mode dial by contacting a licensed Pentax repair person. I don't know if he wants this type of thing publicly posted, so PM me if you want details. But here's the thing: This is where the good news ends, however. Nothing is as simple as it seems. The replacement mode dial came attached to the piece that is still stuck in the camera. So the thing that fell off was really only part of the mode dial, from a parts perspective. I'm not sure that I can detach the piece from the new mode dial - it feels pretty secure. And I'm a bit anxious about trying to disassemble the camera to the point that I can replace the whole part. I found the following, but it's not that helpful for someone like me:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Inside the K-01

Nothing on youtube for disassembly.
I read in another thread that heating it up in the oven (not too hot obviously) softens the glue that holds it in place. This would also explain why it becomes unglued from time to time.
05-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

More like torque eventually loosens it off, no camera would get anywhere near hot enough to soften it in normal use, mine certainly did not..
I think the design is flawed, not the glue really.
If anyone really wants to try heat, use a hairdryer.
05-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I'd like to see a photo or two of the part. Seems feasible to drill a small hole for a set screw in order to pre-empt the problem altogether.
05-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I'd like to see a photo or two of the part. Seems feasible to drill a small hole for a set screw in order to pre-empt the problem altogether.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/248488-my-knob-fell-off.html

05-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I read in another thread that heating it up in the oven (not too hot obviously) softens the glue that holds it in place. This would also explain why it becomes unglued from time to time.
Thanks for this tip - I will give it (ir the hair dryer) a shot!. The dial cover itself is made out of metal, which makes me feel a bit more confident.

One other thing - when I talked to the guy at Pentax, he said that this problem is uncommon, despite "one or two" people on a forum who may have had a similar problem.

Last edited by Designosophy; 05-20-2014 at 06:30 AM.
05-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
One other thing - when I talked to the guy at Pentax, he said that this problem is uncommon, despite "one or two" people on a forum who may have had a similar problem.
Thoughtless comment from GAP. That's only if one considers the people who use forums and who happen to chose to post about it.
I imagine there could be hundreds of K-01 users who don't use any forums and who simply stick the knob back on and get on with shooting.
05-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Thoughtless comment from GAP. That's only if one considers the people who use forums and who happen to chose to post about it.
I imagine there could be hundreds of K-01 users who don't use any forums and who simply stick the knob back on and get on with shooting.
Good point - the rule of thumb for customer service is, for every one person who complains, there are 20-30 more who just keep their mouth shut and either leave or suffer in silence.

The hair dryer worked like a charm. Now I need to choose the right adhesive to attach the dial to m K-01. I've heard contact cement, Loctite, and silicone glue. Any consensus or considerations?
05-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I used a little contact cement. Seems to have done the trick.
07-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #43

My knob fell off about a week ago. I hot-glued it back on, and thought I was good-to-go. However, No-Joy for me, it fell off again and is now lost somewhere in my neighborhood. Anyone find a better source of replacement?
07-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Yeah, hot glue get's soft and loses grip which is similar to the stuff they used originally I think.. Which is why I used contact cement.
Not sure you can replace it with anything. If you know someone with a metal lathe you could get them to turn another, maybe?
07-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried gap-filling crazy glue?