Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can verify 5 minute araldite also works to glue the knob back on.

07-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #47
Site Supporter

The Pentax Zoom 90WR film point and shoot has a rubbery plastic cover over the shutter release.
When mine came off as many do Eric had to get a special adhesive from Pentax to repair it.

My experience gluing plastics is that many adhesives work initially but most fail in the long term.

Chris
07-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #48

In the case of the K-01, the mode-select knob/dial is a clear-coated or anodized aluminum(?), glued to/over a painted or black-anodized metal knob. It really should have been attached with a set-screw at the least, IMHO.

It really is unfortunate, as I've really grown to like the camera, but with the knob lost it's quite unsightly, and changing modes while having to watch the screen for which setting is chosen is tedious to me. It's also uncomfortable, as that selector has a raised rim around its circumference and is unpleasant ,and kinda painful, to grab and turn.

I've had/have numerous point-and-shoot digital, mirrorless, and film cameras, as well as a couple of film SLRs, all from various brands, and I've never had a knob or switch fall off of any of them, some of which are decades old. Scratches, scuffs, ruberization wearing off, lettering wearing off, sure, but never anything other than a label has come off of any of them.

Very disappointing.........
07-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #49
Site Supporter

So, a question for anyone who has acquired this parts set from Ricoh: Is there enough post thickness in the center to drill a small hole through the cap and into the plastic post, so that a small screw can be set into it, preventing the cap from ever popping off?

07-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #50

It would probably be better to drill and tap a hole into the side of the silver knob, probably in one of the concave flutes. Then just get a common setscrew to "bite" into the inner knob / wheel. I think a screw down into the top of the knob(I think that's what you're suggesting) would be more unsightly

For me it's too late, as my knob is lost
07-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Achromatter Quote
In the case of the K-01, the mode-select knob/dial is a clear-coated or anodized aluminum(?), glued to/over a painted or black-anodized metal knob.
The black knob under the Aluminium cap is plastic, at least on my K-01 it is.
Certainly though the cap wall has sufficient thickness to accommodate a small grub screw.

07-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #52

That definitely looks plastic, in person, mine looked like black metal, but you're likely correct. I agree about a grub / set screw

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 07:35 AM ----------

It's really a shame that one of the most important controls on the camera seems so poorly thought out.
07-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #53
Site Supporter

This stuff might work: J-B Weld

Chris

07-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #54

i used krazy glue
07-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This stuff might work: J-B Weld

Chris
JB Weld is awesome!!

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 10:16 PM ----------

It would probably be better to drill and tap a hole into the side of the silver knob, probably in one of the concave flutes. Then just get a common setscrew to "bite" into the inner knob / wheel. I think a screw down into the top of the knob(I think that's what you're suggesting) would be more unsightly

For me it's too late, as my knob is lost
I was thinking of a "pretty" screw, countersunk into the knob, flush. Putting it on the side seems asymmetrical to me, and might allow for a rocking force, unless you use two or 3...

Last edited by shiner; 07-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.
07-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
JB Weld is awesome!!

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 10:16 PM ----------

I was thinking of a "pretty" screw, countersunk into the knob, flush. Putting it on the side seems asymmetrical to me, and might allow for a rocking force, unless you use two or 3...
Hi Dave,

After more closely examining the camera, I concur that your solution would be better. I didn't realize that(as seen in Steve's photo above), the actual part that "moves" is an approximately 2mm thick plastic wheel / disc(the black segmented part seen under the inverted metal knob in the photo). I thought that whole assembly turned, but under the disc is a collar / spacer / riser(?) that is part of the camera body, and doesn't move.

I don't think a setscrew would have enough material to dig into, and since the actual selector is thin and plastic makes it even less likely that a setscrew would be the best choice. I suppose three or more equally spaced around the circumference may work, but it probably wouldn't prevent the knob from pulling off / up.

The counter sunk screw down the center would likely be the best option, HOWEVER, since one would have to disassemble the camera to get a look at how exactly the selector is constructed, I would be wary about drilling or driving down into the selector.

It looks like Chris' suggestion of JB Weld, or some other quality epoxy is likely the best choice for reattaching the knob.

Now who's willing to be part of my "search-team", so we can canvas my entire route the day I lost my knob, so I can try the epoxy????
07-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #57
Pentaxian

If you ever need to send the K-01 in for service, I'd prolly not fix the mode dial cap so much the removing it for top disassembly would be a huge pita for the tech.
Rubber contact cement has held and is holding very well since my cap fell off..
07-25-2014, 12:17 AM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
If you ever need to send the K-01 in for service, I'd prolly not fix the mode dial cap so much the removing it for top disassembly would be a huge pita for the tech.
Rubber contact cement has held and is holding very well since my cap fell off..
Good argument for rubber cement. If I knew the diameter and composition of the central shaft, I'd use rubber cement plus a set screw in the center. That way, a tech could pop the knob off with ease for service.

---------- Post added 07-25-14 at 03:22 AM ----------

Now who's willing to be part of my "search-team", so we can canvas my entire route the day I lost my knob, so I can try the epoxy????
Seems like it would have to have come off when being pulled out of or being put into a bag or something- not just hanging on your shoulder or around the neck... perhaps NSA has some footage that might be helpful.
07-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #59

Ha!! Unfortunately no bag used at the time of the disappearance. I just hand-carry it while walking around running errands.......
08-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Just in case anyone is wondering if this thread is actually causing the detachments...
I can confirm that mine just fell off before I found the thread