Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have lost mine as well. Is there a source for replacements?

08-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Yeah I saw something earlier in the thread
09-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #63

Dial 911

My mode dial fell off about a month after I bought the camera. I was on a road trip and the dial got snagged on a compartment in my bag. I picked up some "amazing" all purpose Goop, removed all the original adhesive, and applied the Goop fairly liberally. It's been almost a year and it hasn't budged. I stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd give my two cents. I really love this camera, and although I think the dial falling off is such stupid dumb stupid stupid design haphazardness, I still hold it at high esteem. If it falls off again... well, I won't be happy about it.
09-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #64
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A good result.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thingo Quote
An update:
... and now it's fallen off, again, current status: lost. Looks like I'm up for a warranty replacement, too.
All fixed. Good as new.

Well, it is new. I contacted the very helpful people at C.R.Kennedy, the long-time Pentax agents here in Oz (Australia), & they agreed to replace the whole 'mode dial' assembly (dial & spindle) under warranty. That involved a couple of days, & removing the top plate of the body. Apparently there have been fewer than a handful of reported mode dial losses here.

I've always had good experience with C.R.Kennedy, dating from my specially marked "50 years in Australia" *istD.

09-04-2014, 05:28 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thingo Quote
All fixed. Good as new.

Well, it is new. I contacted the very helpful people at C.R.Kennedy, the long-time Pentax agents here in Oz (Australia), & they agreed to replace the whole 'mode dial' assembly (dial & spindle) under warranty. That involved a couple of days, & removing the top plate of the body. Apparently there have been fewer than a handful of reported mode dial losses here.

I've always had good experience with C.R.Kennedy, dating from my specially marked "50 years in Australia" *istD.
I never reported my dial problem here in Oz as it was too much bother. I simply used an epoxy resign (araldite). Never bothered me since.
10-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #66
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My mode dial also came off 3 months or so after I bought my K01. I thought the problem was due to the tropical atmosphere in Sabah (Malaysia). I took it back to the vendor in Kota Kinabalu and he said that it was not a glue problem. He had to send my K01 1,500 km away to KL for re-fixing. That procedure took away a month of my warranty coverage. I asked the vendor about extending my warranty coverage and all I got was a rude look from his staff!
12-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #67

After my dial fell off, I retrieved several kinds of adhesives, and eventually settled on the blue-tac solution suggested at the beginning of the thread in case for some reason I ever have to remove it?! I can't imagine why, but whatever...it's been about a year and hasn't gone anywhere. It didn't seem worth it to send it in for warranty work.

12-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #68

My K-01's mode dial also keeps falling off. I didn't expect as much company when I went to the forum to see if this was an issue! I have to check to see how long my extended warranty is
but I'll probably just try a plastic to plastic glue. It would be nice if Ricoh divulged their solution. I don't want to send the camera off at this point before the holidays.
12-11-2014, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Mine is still fine in all this time having used contact cement.
Personally I think it's wasting everyone's time sending it in under wty for such a trivial fix.
12-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Mine is still fine in all this time having used contact cement.
Personally I think it's wasting everyone's time sending it in under wty for such a trivial fix.

Yes! It is very easy. A little dab of GOOP glue and mine's been perfect.
12-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #71
Veteran Member

My dial fell off and rather return it, I called KEH and asked them what kind of glue they recommend for reattaching it. They just told me to send it back for repairs.
They fixed it and sent it back in about a week and covered all the shipping. I didn't mind much really since I just received my K-3 a couple of weeks ago...
12-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

I agree, but it's not only everyone's time, but money as well. Mine was bought used, so I'd have to foot the entire repair bill and S&H(does anyone know how much this would cost?), just to replace a knob????? Not to mention that disassembling the camera could then cause other problems if something isn't put back exactly the same as it was, I really don't want to risk that, as the camera has been virtually flawless otherwise.

Unfortunately mine fell off during a neighborhood walk, and is lost. Pentax told me the only option is to send it in for repairs, as no replacement knobs are available. That's just ridiculous. So I'm supposed to send the camera in at my expense, have the fully functional, with no other issues whatsoever, camera completely disassembled, just to replace a friggin' knob??????? To me, that's just really poor design, things like external knobs, compartment doors, etc., should be able to be replaced without needing to disassemble the entire unit IMHO.

I've been a Pentax user/supporter for decades, and this has really soured me to the whole brand. As I've mentioned before, I've owned many different cameras, from different manufacturers/brands, P&Ss, SLRs, bridge, etc., varying in cost from probably under $50 to several hundred and more, and I've never had a knob or switch "fall off" before. I've carried P&Ss around in pockets, backpacks, glove-boxes, etc. I've experienced lettering wear off, wear on edges, knob edges, switch edges, etc. I'd consider all that "normal", but a knob just falling off without having ever having dropped nor abused the camera is just unacceptable.

Has this happened to anyone who paid the full release price, after their warranty expired, I'd like to know how they feel?

I fell under the spell of the K3 sales and caved, but I don't think I'll buy any other Pentax cameras in the future.
12-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Nothing needs to be disassembled to re fix the knob. Not sure where you're getting this from.
12-12-2014, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #74

I believe you're talking about re-gluing the knob, I'm talking about my situation, where the knob is irretrievably lost.

I don't remember which thread it was, but I remember someone writing that they corresponded with someone, perhaps an authorized Pentax repair place, or just a camera repair place, and they were told the camera needs to be disassembled because the entire mode switch needs to be replaced. They then went on to state that the place sold him/her the switch assembly, and the PF member pried the knob off the new switch assembly and glued it on to their camera. This member didn't post who it was that sold them the switch assembly, because they felt like they were being done a favor by the seller of the part, and didn't want a bunch of people requesting the same.

I wrote Pentax support, and was told I would have to send my camera in, at my expense, and then pay for replacement of the switch assembly, and pay for return shipping, all to just replace a knob, which IMHO should be replaceable by itself, without needing to replace the entire switch assembly.

Best regards.
01-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #75
Veteran Member

PM sent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Achromatter Quote
I believe you're talking about re-gluing the knob, I'm talking about my situation, where the knob is irretrievably lost.

I don't remember which thread it was, but I remember someone writing that they corresponded with someone, perhaps an authorized Pentax repair place, or just a camera repair place, and they were told the camera needs to be disassembled because the entire mode switch needs to be replaced. They then went on to state that the place sold him/her the switch assembly, and the PF member pried the knob off the new switch assembly and glued it on to their camera. This member didn't post who it was that sold them the switch assembly, because they felt like they were being done a favor by the seller of the part, and didn't want a bunch of people requesting the same.

I wrote Pentax support, and was told I would have to send my camera in, at my expense, and then pay for replacement of the switch assembly, and pay for return shipping, all to just replace a knob, which IMHO should be replaceable by itself, without needing to replace the entire switch assembly.

Best regards.