Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
... [K-01] in for warranty repair.
Yes, with the number of cases enumerated here of the 'mode dial' coming adrift and falling off, it does indeed look like a warranty issue. A nuisance one, but still should be addressed.

09-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine came off last week. I glued it back with DAP Kwick Seal, a tub and tile adhesive caulk, a silicone type product. I was afraid of using contact glue as it won't allow any repositioning once set in place. So far it seems to have worked nicely, and if not, the silicone will be easy to remove.😁
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Pentax, er, RICOH's response to my message asking if I could get a replacement mode dial without sending in my camera:

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting RICOH.

Replacement parts are available from the Parts Department by calling 303-728-1359 or emailing lynn.badillo@us.ricoh-imaging.com. However, since your K-01 camera is still within the warranty period according to the date of purchase you listed, we strongly recommend you return your camera directly to RICOH Imaging Company at the address listed below for service. Repairs to the camera that are not performed by an authorized RICOH service center may void the warranty on your camera.

RICOH Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

Be sure to use adequate packing material...
It will probably be less expensive to just order the dial than to pay to ship the camera across the country and then wait however long it takes to get it back. But do I want to void the warranty by sticking a mode dial on there myself? Geez.
09-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I'm almost tempted to pop mine off and re-glue them (the silicon option sounds good), just to be proactive.

09-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
6 months after purchase, shutter count 9000+ and counting and no issues whatsoever.. I hope it stay this way
09-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #21
Forum Member

An update:

QuoteOriginally posted by Thingo Quote
Mine fell off some three months ago. There was the remains of a small dab of glue to hold the plastic silver coated mode wheel (with round hole) on top of the black spindle (with matching round pip).

I put a tiny dot of "blue tac" on the top of the black spindle, and it seems to have done the trick: the silver mode dial has stayed put for some weeks now. If necessary, it can just be removed.
... and now it's fallen off, again, current status: lost. Looks like I'm up for a warranty replacement, too.
10-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #22

Just lost mine today. Very frustrating. Anyone have any success getting a replacement?

Thanks.

11-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by amseaman Quote
Just lost mine today. Very frustrating. Anyone have any success getting a replacement?
I got a replacement part from Ricoh for $10.44 plus $8 shipping. My problem is that the replacement mode dial has a plastic part inside that (I assume) is the same as what's left on top of the camera. So I have to remove one of the plastic pieces, either from the camera or from the new mode dial. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that without breaking something.

11/22/13: It turns out that putting the new mode dial in the oven for a few minutes at 325 degrees (I had been baking brownies) softened up the glue enough so that the plastic was easy to remove.

Last edited by jim6522; 11-22-2013 at 06:55 PM.
11-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jim6522 Quote
I got a replacement part from Ricoh for $10.44 plus $8 shipping. My problem is that the replacement mode dial has a plastic part inside that (I assume) is the same as what's left on top of the camera. So I have to remove one of the plastic pieces, either from the camera or from the new mode dial. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that without breaking something.
I am shocked to see that this has happened to so many people. I will try to be gentle with my 3 bodies! One of them is more than a year old and has travelled the world without any issues.
11-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Same problem here . . .

Happened to me too last week. I used a dab of super glue to glue it back in place. This is on my wife's K-01, which has not seen much use -- fewer than 3000 shutter actuations. I have not had a problem with my white K-01, which has seen much more use. Whatever the case, it's poor workmanship -- I was surprised to see all the plastic under the aluminum dial.

Mike
01-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike M. Quote
... Whatever the case, it's poor workmanship -- I was surprised to see all the plastic under the aluminum dial.
That's what I initially thought: but no, it's just a nicely made plastic dial.

It is, however, poor manufacturing to have used a sub-standard adhesive.
01-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have no problems with the plastic component of the mode dial, most of them are plastic on Pentax cameras (and there's a lot of plastic on the K-01 anyway). The problem is they clearly used a glue which is not up to the job. The aluminium 'dial' should really have been pinned. This would not have been Marc Newson design error, just an engineering shortcut.
01-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Perhaps we should consider some preventative maintenance for those of us who haven't experienced this yet. What's been used to date to regluecthe knobs? What worked or didn't work?

01-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

As stated in my Knobs Fell Off Thread
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I've cleaned off the rubbery adhesive and re affixed it with some contact cement.
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I was afraid of using contact glue as it won't allow any repositioning once set in place.
There is only one position it can go due to the locator point on the plastic knob and matching dimple in the cover.
01-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

" Where were you when you knob fell off,... "

I used some Loctite, as it was all I had with me, and no probs since.