Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Build in flash will not pop up feature

Just something i discovered last night on my K01. I was trying to use my pop up flash during a dinner party, but not matter what i do, the little flash just won't pop up. Pressing the flash button repeatedly will not work. I though i need to send my unit to service now, what a bummer!

Then when i reached home, I took the flash shoe cover out and press the flash button again. The flash just spring to the ready position. Wow no more issue! Happy

Then i remembered i used a third party flash shoe cover on my K01, as i have a tendency to lose them. Putting original Pentax flash shoe cover in, and the flash will pop with the press of a button. Putting the third party flash shoe cover in, the flash will not pop. It seems to me that there are some mechanism in the flash shoe to detect an external flash is inserted, hence will prevent the build in flash from raising up. Then the generic construction of a third party flash shoe cover will makes the camera think that an external flash is being used, and disabled the in build flash.

So I have now use back the original flash shoe cover just so I can use the in build flash.

Just a discovery worth sharing i think so no one will have to go thru my little drama again.
Mike

02-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing. I hope this keeps someone from needlessly sending their camera for repair in the future. I wouldn't have figured this out if it happened to me!
02-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mcjm -- THANK YOU!!! Just got my K-01 today, and thinking what am I doing wrong? No flash! In my case, I put an Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder in the hotshoe ... and, just as you said, there's something detecting what it thinks is an external flash, so it disables the popup flash.

This is no problem for me... I can just take the VF-1 off in low light, where I'll be using the LCD screen anyway.

Thanks again!
02-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This just happened to me too. I put on an a clear cover from an old 35mm. I thought it looked cool.

02-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll notice the original flash cover has a little "slot" missing on the left side - there is a lever there that the camera uses to detect whether an external flash is inserted. If you remove the same section of your 3rd party flash cover, it won't prevent the pop-up flash from operating.
02-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Build in flash will not pop up
I thought you'd been shouting at her and upset her.

Glad you got it sorted out, damn clever if you ask me.