Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need help with focus/exposure lock

Just got my K-01. Have it set on spot, for both focus and exposure. When I push the shutter button down halfway, it beeps, and shows a little green square, which means it has a focus lock. But -- when, keeping the shutter button half-pressed, I move the camera to re-compose, the exposure changes.

I want to lock the exposure, using the AF/AE-L button. But it isn't doing what the manual says, p. 152, 'Setting the AF/AE-L Button Operation'. In the manual, it shows the Camera 3 - Button Customization screen, and one of the choices is 'AE lock.' But, on my K-01, all it says is:

Green Button
Movie Recording
AF/AE-L Enable AF1
AF/AE-L (movie) Enable AF1

When I go to 'AF/AE-L Enable AF-1' , all it lets me do is put the focus lock to the AF/AE-L button.

Why doesn't my screen look like the pic on page 152? How can I get it to show that 'AE Lock' menu choice? I'm at 1.02, the most recent upgrade.

02-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

AF2?

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Just got my K-01. Have it set on spot, for both focus and exposure. When I push the shutter button down halfway, it beeps, and shows a little green square, which means it has a focus lock. But -- when, keeping the shutter button half-pressed, I move the camera to re-compose, the exposure changes.

I want to lock the exposure, using the AF/AE-L button. But it isn't doing what the manual says, p. 152, 'Setting the AF/AE-L Button Operation'. In the manual, it shows the Camera 3 - Button Customization screen, and one of the choices is 'AE lock.' But, on my K-01, all it says is:

Green Button
Movie Recording
AF/AE-L Enable AF1
AF/AE-L (movie) Enable AF1

When I go to 'AF/AE-L Enable AF-1' , all it lets me do is put the focus lock to the AF/AE-L button.

Why doesn't my screen look like the pic on page 152? How can I get it to show that 'AE Lock' menu choice? I'm at 1.02, the most recent upgrade.
Push the right arrow an extra time while on Enable AF1 and you should see the other three options appear.

If I am not mistaken, set it to Enable AF2, use the AF/AE-L button to focus and expose, keep holding it while you recompose and also while you press the shutter button - a two finger operation. I think you also need to go into the Custom 1 menu and set AE-L with AF Locked. Let me know if I am wrong.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 02-17-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: .
02-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's in the button customisation, Jon - you've just missed it..
Press >>across once you get to the
AF/AE-L Enable AF1

Then you can set AE-Lock
02-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. It's the way I like it now... went to Button Customization, Af/AE-L Enable AF1 ... pressed the right arrow until I saw the AE Lock choice, and selected it.

Now, I can press the AF/AE Lock button anytime -- and it will hold that exposure until I press the button a second time. And, my spot focus shutter half-press still works normally.

Thank you both!