Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I have the sigma 30mm f1.4 and it works great and looks great on the k-01. It's cheap too.

02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered an SMC 28mm Pentax A f/2.8... which will satisfy my need to use an old-style lens, hyperfocal distance and manual focus (discovered the MF magnifier and focus-peak yesterday).

But -- after all of three days with my K-01, it looks like the 18-55 kit lens is very good! In the picture below, at full size, the blades of grass are distinct all the way back to near the trees. My Olympus XZ-1 just can't do this... and it has an excellent sharp lens. Looks like the K-01 has capabilities far beyond anything I can throw at it...
Attached Images

02-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Just ordered an SMC 28mm Pentax A f/2.8... which will satisfy my need to use an old-style lens, hyperfocal distance and manual focus (discovered the MF magnifier and focus-peak yesterday).

But -- after all of three days with my K-01, it looks like the 18-55 kit lens is very good! In the picture below, at full size, the blades of grass are distinct all the way back to near the trees. My Olympus XZ-1 just can't do this... and it has an excellent sharp lens. Looks like the K-01 has capabilities far beyond anything I can throw at it...
The kit lens is very good, especially when you stop it down a bit. You really never indicated the primary intended use for the prime. If its ambient low light in terms of land and city scapes, then rather than a fast lens, a tripod will work wonders along with a long shutter speed. The A 28/2.8 is a wonderful little lens, which should exceed the kit.

02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Interested. Yes, mostly low-light... mostly city. Will have to get my act together re using a tripod... instead of a beanbag, and just bracing the camera against poles or plopping it down on any horizontal surface.

Lens name -- what does the 'A' mean, to me as a new K-01 owner? Am guessing that when I put it on the camera, I'll have to slide the AF/MF switch to MF... but beyond that, are there any other settings I need to know about? Does the 'A' mean that I can use Av mode ... that the K-01 will allow that?

02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

A-series lenses (and everything that came after that) have a set of electrical contacts on the lens mount that tell the body the range of apertures for the lens, and can be used for all the modes on the camera. K- and M- series lenses can only be used in M-manual mode.
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Lens name -- what does the 'A' mean, to me as a new K-01 owner? Am guessing that when I put it on the camera, I'll have to slide the AF/MF switch to MF... but beyond that, are there any other settings I need to know about? Does the 'A' mean that I can use Av mode ... that the K-01 will allow that?
A means all modes are available, the camera is able to set the aperture. P-TTL flash, matrix metering, etc.

No need to set the camera to MF.

K and M series lenses are fully manual, and because the lens mount is 'crippled', must use stop down metering.
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Glad I'm buying the A type... particularly as you mentioned flash control.

Only other thing I've noticed... started taking a movie when I pressed the Red button by mistake. I don't take movies very often... maybe I should move it to the Green button. Also noticed that it's easy to turn the camera on by accident. Aside from these minor complaints, this K-01 is an ergonomic delight.
03-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Unless I am misreading things, you are new to slr's/dslr's/k-01 (mirrorless and not not slr but still with a lot of similarities, especially when it comes to lenses). Try looking for 50mm lenses. While its not as wide, you might find it has a place in your camera bag. 50mm lenses were the standard lens sold with most film slr cameras so there are literally tons of them out there reasonably cheap. You can get M 50mm lenses as fast as f1.7 for next to nothing (under $20, often enough at auction, $10 or less). There are lots of pentax brand A 50mm 2.0 lenses for $50 bin and thats taking 20 seconds to look, not even trying to shop around or get one cheaper bin at auction (I bet you could find one cheaper if you are patient and try a couple of auctions). 135mm 2.8 lenses are a bit more common too. Take your time and do a little research as there is a lot of old glass out there that is good (tons of M stuff, less but still a lot of some kinds of A stuff).

Just so you know, M lenses can shoot in p and other automatic modes wide open only (no flash control). While that is kind of crippled function, if you are shooting in low light situations and were going to be shooting wide open only, they work. In other words , the camera meters wide open and automatically sets the shutter speed same as it would on an A lens. You just lack the ability to set an aperture less than maximum and have that automatic exposure. Perhaps someone else can point out if there are any major limitations to doing this as I do not use manual lenses a lot.

In addition, as has already been mentioned, try higher iso rather than faster glass. I just upgraded from an ist-ds (much older pentax dslr) to the k-01 and the high iso performance is phenomenal. Try taking some test pictures at the different iso setting all the way up to 12,800 and see how they look. On my ist-ds I didn't like using higher than iso 400 if I didn't have to (iso 1600 was almost unusable). I have only had the k-01 a very short time, but my first impressions are iso 6400 looks very good (better than iso 800 on the ist-ds) and I'm wondering if even iso 12,800 is even decent enough to use (I plan on doing a little testing of my own). In effect the good high iso performance turns slower glass into faster glass compared to a camera with lesser high iso capabilities.

With older M/A glass, don't discount non pentax brand lenses. There are some very good ones. Try checking out ricoh/rikenon, sears, vivitar to name a few. Check the lens database here and you can see how good some are.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that using fast glass on a larger sensor is going to give you a much shallower depth of field (the range of things that will be in focus) , that fast glass on a smaller sensor. The faster, the less the depth of field. Ultra fast lenses can have very shallow depth of field wide open.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by ripit; 03-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.
03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks ripit -- I have two older lenses now, both A-type, a 28mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.4. As you said, they are inexpensive compared to new ones!

After about a month, am using TAv mode most of the time, so I can set a fast shutter speed, and a decent aperture for DOF, and just let the ISO go wherever it wants. This is working just fine in daylight and also in low light. I use spot exposure and spot focus, and try to take an AF/AE-L exposure lock ahead of time, if I know a moving subject is coming, like a train. Otherwise, I just take an exposure lock off the palm of my hand, or off a patch of grass. As for ISO, it seems to be very good up through 1600, doesn't it? WAY better than my Olympus XZ-1, where you go over ISO 400 at your own peril.

Here's a train from today -- chilly, cloudy, threat of rain... 5 PM at Torrey Pines State Beach near San Diego. TAv -- 1/640, f/6.3, and the ISO set itself at 500. Used Landscape color mode to warm it up a bit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by jon404; 03-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.
04-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

What's wrong with the good old Sigma 2.8 28mm SuperWide II? Great lens and can be had for next to nothing.
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Forum Member

yeah -- i would recommend against the M 28mm f/2.8. I just bought one off of Nat Camera Exchange for $80 and have some misgivings about it. I have been working with it for about 3 and a half weeks straight now, and although I love to compose with it, it doesn't perform any better than my other three 28's (all of which are 2.8, and all of which were cheaper by far ... a Ricoh P, a K-Mart Focal, and a Vivitar of unknown pedigree in the bestiary. Has an "A" function and a plastic body). I have another thread on this. I have not been able to get a good answer, but I have a hypothesis that there has to be something about the build (the way the elements are grouped, the shape of them, or something....somewhere in there it is evident in the image quality that there are engineering compromises being made...at least to get to f/2.8. Although I have not tried them, the 2.0 and 3.5 "K" series seem to be outstanding and have correspondingly 'outstanding' going prices on the used market) of the 28mm f/2.8 that gives is just...off. If you pressed me for specifics, I'd say: a tendency to loose focus near, and certainly at infinity (which, on my copy is where I need to Hyperocus for street shooting at f/8 in order to get a person of average height in frame and in focus). Seems to struggle with highlights and resolving subtle values (B&W), Just today I switched back to the 40 pancake. I have my eye on saving for the 3mm1 f/1.8. I am going to just chalk it up to experience that, like with other things in this world, optics are something where you certainly get what you pay for. My experience has also indicated that anything scoring below a "9" on any lens n the database containing more than 4 or 5 reviews (and qualitative reviews. Look for specifics like "focus drops off evenly at corners at f/3.5" or something. Then look for it again mentioned by another reviewer, preferably not in the same year) And dont think that just because someone is bitching about a lens that it is just their copy of the lens. It could be, but so far, my experience with the forums is that they are pretty true and I find that, of the lenses I already have, the ones scoring at about "9" or higher are good performers.

I hate to say it about any Pentax lens, but I really think they could have done better on the M f/2.8. That would be my recommendation. After all, what use is that nice wide "normal" if it is consistently delivering sub-par performance?

I would also encourage you to not place too much emphasis on the speed of the lens either. Unless you are doing low light action shots, I would buy the slowest lens you can find and stop it down to the sweet spot of about 4.5 and use a tripod if you have to. DxO did a test where the concluded that on digital sensors super fast lenses (like in the 1.2 to 0.95 range), tend to lose light and compensate by bumping ISO resulting in image degradation DxOMark - F-stop blues . I will try to find the article. You may still be getting that stellar shutter speed. Also, I have heard it said that super fast lenses tend to be corrected solely for their maximum aperture and therefore do not perform well stopped down. Dont know if this is true or not. The fastest lens I have is a 50mm 1.7 SMC-M. My wife has a SMC-M 1.4, so I am not speaking from experience. However, I do find that stopping in at about f/8 to f/4 tends to give better images overall than wide open or past that threshold.

Hope this helps.
04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Any discussion of the M28/2.8 should note that there are two versions of the lens. The later version is essentially the A28/2.8 (optically the same as the F28/2.8), but with no 'A' contacts. The earlier version of the M28/2.8 is smaller & lighter, has the typical M chrome band around the front, and isn't as sharp. For me, it's a pleasant enough lens to use, and I haven't had any focus issues, but it's not in the same class as the M50/1.7. I guess the design was intended to minimize size (it is one of the smallest 28s out there), but Pentax also thought they could do better, since they changed to the second version.
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter

If you want a sheep 28/2.8 with A contacts, the Cosina 28mm f2.8 is good enough, it was my first K mount 28mm somewhere in the late 80's. It is a little dark in the corners (vigneting) full open against a blue sky. Plastic built, but mine still works. Also sold as Vivitar and Exakta. Cosinon is not with A contacts.
04-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments -- I bought the Pentax f/2.8 A-type 28mm lens. It works well, stopped down a bit... great value for the money! The 45mm-equiv field of view is very convenient. Small, light, easy to focus.
04-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Hyper Focal distance for the win.

With the k-01. Id nearly be tempted to lave it in iso1600, stop it down to 22, set infinity and go nuts :P

Last edited by tromboads; 04-03-2013 at 03:25 AM.