Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Is there a auto-lens retraction setting for when camera is turned off?

When I turn off the camera after taking pics, the 40mm xs lens sometimes still juts out. Turning the focus ring manually retracts it but is there a camera setting to have the lens retract automatically when the camera is turned off? If so, where is it? I googled but didn't find anything. Thanks.

02-20-2013, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by harioharima Quote
When I turn off the camera after taking pics, the 40mm xs lens sometimes still juts out. Turning the focus ring manually retracts it but is there a camera setting to have the lens retract automatically when the camera is turned off? If so, where is it? I googled but didn't find anything. Thanks.
No. You've been using point-and-shoots too long...
02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No. You've been using point-and-shoots too long...

Thanks for the answer (that there is no such setting). It's only a minor inconvenience. But to your other point, I'm not sure micro-four-thirds cameras fall squarely in the p&s category (and Oly m43 cameras do have such a setting).
02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only for power zoom lenses, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also Samsung NX does it to some extent. I'm glad that bigger cameras doesn't do this though as I often set the focus and zoom when walking around with my K-5 (I don't have a K-01) to be ready to shoot. If I need it to get smaller it's as easy as setting the camera to manual focus and make the lens small.
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the answer (that there is no such setting). It's only a minor inconvenience. But to your other point, I'm not sure micro-four-thirds cameras fall squarely in the p&s category (and Oly m43 cameras do have such a setting).
Panasonic has 2 power zoom lenses for micro 4/3 (they are both junk too...for the money). The small olympus kit lenses you're referring to all have to be manually retracted as well.

Also, if you want the lens to retract quickly (and without having to switch to manual focus...which I hope you have been doing, otherwise you can ruin the camera's autofocus), just focus on something at infinity (far away) as that is when the lens retracts.
02-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Only for power zoom lenses, unfortunately.
Must admit Its one of the things I miss from my old MZ-5 and 28-80 powerzoom, full retraction at shutdown..

02-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Panasonic has 2 power zoom lenses for micro 4/3 (they are both junk too...for the money). The small olympus kit lenses you're referring to all have to be manually retracted as well.

Also, if you want the lens to retract quickly (and without having to switch to manual focus...which I hope you have been doing, otherwise you can ruin the camera's autofocus), just focus on something at infinity (far away) as that is when the lens retracts.
Hope you didn't interpret my question as a slur of some kind on Pentax. That's not the case. I am happy in general with the K-01.

That said, the Olympus prime pancake lenses most certainly do not need to be manually retracted -- even the e-p1 has a setting for automatic retraction. The zooms are a different story.
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hope you didn't interpret my question as a slur of some kind on Pentax. That's not the case. I am happy in general with the K-01.

That said, the Olympus prime pancake lenses most certainly do not need to be manually retracted -- even the e-p1 has a setting for automatic retraction. The zooms are a different story.
No slur of Pentax taken (as an owner of multiple different camera brands, I'm far less offended than many!).

With that said, sorry to say, but having owned the e-p1, e-p2, e-pl1, and e-pm1 (I think that is it, haha...oh wait, and the e-m5, but I had the 12-50mm higher end kit lens with that) all at one time or another, they most definitely do not have any sort of automatic retraction. You have to hold a button forward and manually twist the lens to retract for storage and extend into shooting position. The smaller Olympus 17mm f2.8 pancake lens (which I suppose could be considered a kit lens since they do sell it in as optional kits) simply has a very short focus throw, and as small as even it is, it is still twice as big as the 40mm xs to start!

Like I said before, if you want the 40mm xs to be as compact as possible before turning it off and putting it away, just focus on a far distant subject - it is shortest when focusing at infinity.
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
No slur of Pentax taken (as an owner of multiple different camera brands, I'm far less offended than many!).

With that said, sorry to say, but having owned the e-p1, e-p2, e-pl1, and e-pm1 (I think that is it, haha...oh wait, and the e-m5, but I had the 12-50mm higher end kit lens with that) all at one time or another, they most definitely do not have any sort of automatic retraction. You have to hold a button forward and manually twist the lens to retract for storage and extend into shooting position. The smaller Olympus 17mm f2.8 pancake lens (which I suppose could be considered a kit lens since they do sell it in as optional kits) simply has a very short focus throw, and as small as even it is, it is still twice as big as the 40mm xs to start!

Like I said before, if you want the 40mm xs to be as compact as possible before turning it off and putting it away, just focus on a far distant subject - it is shortest when focusing at infinity.
Just put the lens cap back onto the lens, and half press the shutter button to 'focus out to infinity and back'. Your lens would nicely retract back.
02-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Yeah there's no retraction going on with the 'body cap' XS 40 lens, just set to inf and put the cap back on.
I do wish (hope) that Pentax would bring out that XS lens line with the non-retrofocus flat designs .. like a pancake 15 would be a really nice start.