Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Prodigital2000 has it for $379 with 40mm XS lens, free delivery
Ah, darn it, not anymore. I can see it in the completed listings, so it looks like I missed the boat!

02-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #17

I've got a K-01 and a K-30 and had a k20D. The K-01 is a different critter, to be sure, but I've found it to work very well with my old lenses in manual mode. Depending on your vision, you might want to invest in a $15 pair of "cheaters", +3.00 or stronger, you really need to be able to see the screen from about 6 inches away. Focus peaking and using the histogram makes it easy to get good exposures with manual lenses. Don't be afraid to shoot first, then make adjustments and shoot again- it will never be a good camera for action photography but it is a very good for the deliberate photographer, and at $300 for a state of the art 16mp sensor, it is a steal.
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I wanted the k-01 as well to be coupled with some of my manual lenses. Manual focusing using the small k-x's viewfinder is difficult, LV only improve it slightly.

After trying it at a camera store, I am both impressed and disappointed. Focus peaking works great, exactly as I imagined it. LCD is clear and can be used to shoot at strange angles (as long they are reasonable.) AF too is excellent with the kit, and that is using the 1.00 FW. The camera looks great, really fun to look at, and the build and control exudes quality. But, I find it too heavy.

After 10 minutes playing with the camera, I feel the strain on both my arms. It's not new. When using the LV on the k-x I feel the same, but k-x is primarily a VF camera and if used as intended, it's ergonomic. In the end I conclude that for an LV style shooting camera, the k-01 needs to lose at least 100g or 100$. Where I live it still costs US$500 following heavy discounts, and for that money I can't look past the flaw. For the price, the other mirrorless are more interesting just because they weigh half the k-01.

I really wanted to like the k-01, it's a very effective manual shooting tool. I hope pentax can do something about the weight for the k-02. Meanwhile, those of you who live where the k-01 cost nearly nothing, consider yourself lucky!
02-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Bhphoto has the body for 299 and will ship to canada

02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

To Professor Batty -- when using your old lenses in Manual mode, how do you see - or preview -- what you are going to get, before you take the picture? I have a 28mm f/2.8 A-type lens. In M manual, there is no on-screen exposure meter. I have to take the picture, press Play to look at it, then go back and adjust shutter/aperture. I wish I had a histogram of what the actual picture will be, like in Av mode, instead of the histogram in M mode that only shows it at wide open!
02-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
I feel the strain on both my arms. It's not new. When using the LV on the k-x I feel the same,
I would agree the k-01 felt awkward to me compared to a dslr. Until I got a handstrap. I have it on the right side and my hand just fits in. You have to use your thumb to press the shutter button. But it feels like an extension of my arm now, very natural.
02-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
To Professor Batty -- when using your old lenses in Manual mode, how do you see - or preview -- what you are going to get, before you take the picture? I have a 28mm f/2.8 A-type lens. In M manual, there is no on-screen exposure meter. I have to take the picture, press Play to look at it, then go back and adjust shutter/aperture. I wish I had a histogram of what the actual picture will be, like in Av mode, instead of the histogram in M mode that only shows it at wide open!
@Jon404. The Histogram in live view is worthless- it reads the screen's value which is always auto adjusting. I use the green button for an approximate exposure value, red button (in preview mode) to see DOF, then take a picture and adjust if necessary. It would be nice if live view was the actual exposure, but it isn't, it isn't on my k-30 either. The histogram in playback mode is, of course, absolutely accurate.
02-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I love the K-01 (I actually bought a second one just to have a spare since I'm pretty sure the K-01 is going to disappear after the current inventory is gone). However, as Professor Batty said, the histogram in live view stinks. Likewise, so does the "Bright/Dark Area" setting in the Live View menu. In theory the Bright/Dark Area setting will help you avoid overexposed or underexposed sections of your image but like the LV historgram it's based on the LV exposure and not that actual exposure settings.

On my OM-D I have the live view setup so the bright/dark areas are highlighted in different colors if there is overexposure or underexposure and it's BASED ON THE ACTUAL EXPOSURE and not the live view.

Come on, Pentax, update the K-01 firmware so that the live view histogram and the live view bright/dark area setting show exposure information based on the camera's current exposure settings and not the live view.

02-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Valou Quote
I'm also in Canada and would LOVE to get my hands on one for that price. Can I ask where you got it?
Thanks!
Val
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Prodigital2000 has it for $379 with 40mm XS lens, free delivery
I was away from the computer yesterday Franky, so thanks for filling in. That is where I got it. I love those guys, if they have what you want, they save you money, and they don't put it up on ebay unless they have it in stock. So they won't always have what you want, but if they have it, it will be the best price in Canada, and it will be at your house in a week, if not sooner.
02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #25

I'm having good results using the histogram and AEL.
02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I took the K-01 to a junior indoor soccer game tonight.
I set iso 6400, 1/200th and f/5.6 to f/8. SR was on and probably should have been off.
It took a while to get used to focus peaking in the distance, eventually I got a few shots in sharp focus.
The ball was usually on focus, hands and feet had too much motion blur
I noticed shutter lag in single mode and missed many shots by that.

About the worst thing i did wrong, was to take the Takumar Bayonet 1/2.5 135 mm, even though I have two better 135s.
The floodlights were low down shining up into the roof, and when the lens was exposed to them photos were washed out by the flare of that uncoated lens.
Next time I might go to the wider SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 100mm, iso 12800 and faster shutter and try continuous hi mode.
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

@Professor Batty... I've got it! I've got it! I really think I've got it! (sing along)

In Av, press the Green button, it shows the correct histogram (???) and then I can turn the edial to set the aperture. Same in Tv, turn the edial to set shutter speed. The DOF I can visualize -- I'm using the Red button to turn focus peaking on and off.

What is the Green button actually doing?

Last edited by jon404; 02-25-2013 at 10:20 PM.
03-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
What is the Green button actually doing?
Press the +/- button to bring up an EV compensation scale. Make compensation changes to aperture or shutter speed using the wheel. Then press the green button to zero the EV.