Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Firmware wish - Full O-GPS1 functionality

I was hoping the latest firmware would address the limited functionality of the O-GPS1 unit.

I don't think there is any physical reason that the astrotracer and other functions are not enabled.

I think a simple firmware upgrade would do.

I hope Pentax resolves this issue. (or some interested programmer who can add the code lines from the K-30 firmware)

04-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
You are correct. There is not any physical reason for this.

In fact, the K-01 was advertised as being a camera FOR Astrotracer use in it's press release...AND someone in these forums allegedly actually got it to work once on accident. Having trouble finding that particular post again. I will repost it here (and elsewhere) and ask more questions about the mystery K-01 Astrotracer phographer when and if I can "track" *pun intended* the post down again.

I'm very eager to see the camera's full potential as well.

All those concerned should call Pentax so that they are aware this is a EXTREMELY wanted feature for K-01. Definitely not a passing fancy.

Astrotracer is simply awesome.

Last edited by Yamaha; 04-26-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Limit to K-01 Astrotracer subject only.
04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the DigiCam Watch interview with the K-01 team (linked in several other threads), they mention the Astrotracer function and say it could be added in firmware if there was demand. HOWEVER, that was in the exciting early days when they were also talking about the possibility of compact lenses that extend into the mirror box. There was no demand for the K-01 until the closeout firesales. At this point, I think it very unlikely that they will put any resources into adding features to a discontinued model that only sold at entry-level prices.
04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Getting more people to pay full price for a GPS unit couldn't hurt them.

Last edited by Yamaha; 04-27-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Syntax