Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
BTW, Dpreview, in their item on the K-01's discontinuation, speculate that the K-01 might be followed by a K-mount "module" for Ricoh's GXR system. I don't know much/anything about the GXR system, but looking at the design of the existing modules, that might make sense...
I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm a huge Ricoh fan using the GRD4. I was truly hoping for the rumored APSC GRD5 at CP+. In september, we'll see what Ricoh has in store.

In the mean time, I'll have a nice collection of top quality primes and months of photograph using the K01.

I was just reading the DPReview site, and I'm struck by how disconnected the criticism of the camera is from actual use.

There is something surreal about it.

02-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used an Olympus XZ-1 for two years, and wanted to get a camera with a larger sensor, that would allow higher ISO low-light images. Waited for the XZ-2... but it won't fit in my shirt pocket. Thought about the Sony RX100, but it doesn't have a hotshoe... no FM wireless capability. So that opened me up to shopping for a larger camera. And once it won't fit in my shirt pocket, I don't care how large or heavy... they are all bricks, except that ours just happens to look like one.

The recent sale price was irresistable. An APS-C camera -- with two kit lenses -- for less than US $500? And... I can use my 645N film camera lenses on it? ($53 adapter, from Amazon) ... and it can use all those other 35mm-type Pentax lenses out there? Wow!

So here's a question -- for $400, I can get a second K-01 with the 40 XS lens... which, by itself, is about $200 new on Amazon? That means they are dumping the camera for $200? My God! Are they crazy?
02-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever anyone thinks, table image of the company, he should not go in the direction of such frequent changes to the model (a little joke, but as women swap underpants)!?
We need to develop and build models (all know what happened Minolta)? Somehow I believed that under the Ricoh, to get to the influence of "young blood"!
Apparently, I was wrong? Conservatism and conventionalism, to lead to prosperity!??
All competitors, even those (4:3), are "us" overran?
greeting
velja
02-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 + q ??

In a fit of enthusiasm I bought a K-01 and a Q towards the end of last year ... both at bargain prices. I love the K-01, I find its size suits me but the stupid rubber door over the card slot drives me mad. If it had the constructional standard of the Q it would be great. I like the Q but mainly bought it for the reach it will give me with all my heritage lenses, it's rather small for my comfortable use but just as much a jewel of construction as the 110 SLR.

03-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #35
Forum Member

I am ordering my second K01 now
03-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
In a fit of enthusiasm I bought a K-01 and a Q towards the end of last year ... both at bargain prices. I love the K-01, I find its size suits me but the stupid rubber door over the card slot drives me mad. If it had the constructional standard of the Q it would be great. I like the Q but mainly bought it for the reach it will give me with all my heritage lenses, it's rather small for my comfortable use but just as much a jewel of construction as the 110 SLR.
I did the same within the last 2 weeks. I had the 110 and the Q is a great comparison. I wish I would have kept my old Pentax lens.
03-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I love the K-01, I find its size suits me but the stupid rubber door over the card slot drives me mad.
Position it flush with the camera body but extending beyond the back of the camera, then simply slide it forward and in securely.

03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Position it flush with the camera body but extending beyond the back of the camera, then simply slide it forward and in securely.
Yes, identically to a Q door, but rubber instead of hard plastic.
03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Before I got my K-01, I had read some other threads where people said just to slide the flap in. After I got my K-01, I never had a problem. Once you know that trick, it is easy. I hate to even call it a trick.
03-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #40
Forum Member

I still love my funky K-01; my primary camera since shortly after purchase.
I was somewhat surprised having been an SLR devotee since my first camera, a Ricoh KR-5 (ironic that all my SLRs have been Ricoh or Pentax) that the lack of any eye-level viewfinder did not become an issue. I still prefer an SLR for action (sports) photography as, for whatever reason, my brain can't process fast moving subjects with an arm-length screen.
My eyes are shot these days, so I've actually moved beyond the focus range of the standard neck strap and have fitted the camera with a hand strap instead. The dual benefit is overcoming any limitations in the much criticised hand grip.
That said, I remain a devotee of the quirky artsy-fartsy design and the decision to let an artist dictate style over substance. As a fan of the Ludwig Mies van der Rohe approach to design I really should decry anything that departs from the usual policy of letting engineers decide what cameras look like (the Hasselblad Lunar being a prime example of WTF???????)
I have continued to buy Pentax legacy lenses and cameras and as a result have a vast array of full-frame lenses if/when I buy a full-frame Pentax DSLR. That is something that would not have happened if I had gone down the path of investing in Sony NEX, Nikon 1, 4/3rds or any other format.
Thank you Pentax for making the unlikely and unpopular K-01 and the positive impact that has had on my photographic (and videographic) life.