Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filming

Google didnt give me an answer.. has anyone tried filming with the K-01 for a very long time? Like a video recording going on for an hour and a half without pause? I'm wondering especially about the sensor overheating or the buffer giving up.

02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wow, I'm not even going to calculate how big an SD card and battery would you need for that, let alone consider overheating..
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Google didnt give me an answer.. has anyone tried filming with the K-01 for a very long time? Like a video recording going on for an hour and a half without pause? I'm wondering especially about the sensor overheating or the buffer giving up.
The K-01 has a 25 minute (4Gb) limit per file, I believe. You will have to manually pause the recording and start a new file once this limit is reached. The sensor can overheat- with the K-30 I got a temperature warning after about 40 minutes of live view usage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great, thanks for the info! I was wondering if the K-01 deals with overheating better than DSLRs, because.. well, its constantly in live view, so they should have considered that.

02-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
I have over twenty combines hours of video with the Pentax K-01. Yes it's all pieced together somewhere and not combined.

But to answer the question in parts...

TheK-01 has zero issues that I'm aware of with any type of sensor burn or overheating. Ironically there is a type of screen warning that would "click-in", but I've never seen it - although it is referred to in the manual.

Also... The K-01 like most other cameras does have a limit as to how much video it can write; depending upon sensor settings, memory card, etc... Under the max resolution settings and using the best possible memory card I believe the max video recording time is a bit less than twenty minutes.
02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Buffer fills in 16 minutes 23 seconds in full HD mode--if we can believe the timer provided in the lower right corner when actually shooting video. It pops up in place of the "time remaining to fill the card" number that is in that corner when you switch to video mode.

Not so sure that "buffer" is the right term?
07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have recorded a soccergame in 6 takes from each around 15 minutes. Just stopped and started again with offcourse a 15 minute break. No worry's about overheating.