Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 video exposure

I've recently been shooting quite a lot of video with my K-01. The lens I used was a Tamron 18-200 XR DiII which had the best zoom range to suit the situation. I was shooting a theatrical production so it was pretty low light. I was forced to use M mode because when I used either P or Av I found that the image brightness oscillated on around a 10 second cycle even when the subject illumination was constant. It seemed almost as if the camera was hunting to find the correct exposure. Life was better in M mode although even then I found that the aperture or ISO would change on what seemed like a random basis. I judge from reading other posts that M doesn't quite give the user total control so this wan't a surprise but the variable brightness is a mystery ... any suggestions?

02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also noticed this recently shooting video in low light. I rarely shoot video but I almost always use M mode so I didn't run into the AV or P issue.
My guess is that it is something in the cameras software .MOV processing trying to recover shadows or highlights. I know almost nothing when it comes to video and codecs and whatnot though.

I was shooting in a dim theatre using 720p 30fps, M mode with f/4, 1/60s, and iso 6400.
Whenever someone walked in front of the camera, the camera seemed to try and compensate for the large silhouette in the frame and when they were gone the video was overly bright for a second or so.
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently tried to use the K-01 as a back-up video platform to supplement my 2 K5 cameras.

I was not impressed.

Sure, in the above video there are less than stellar factors, but the K5 is better.
I will keep trying with the K-01, but I think it's going to be an uphill battle next to my K5.
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Try locking the exposure in video mode. Works fine for me. I've set the AF/AE-L button to lock exposure,

02-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Funny video!

Do you recall what shutter speed and framerate were you using? The motion doesn't look too smooth to me, but that could also be my lousy laptop.
02-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

K-01 video is not smooth I find, it drops frames all over the place even when very slowly panning.
(The 'Q' is the same in this regard)
I always use a fast Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s card. I doubt I'll use it much for video at all really.
02-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Try locking the exposure in video mode. Works fine for me. I've set the AF/AE-L button to lock exposure,
I'm pretty sure I was in Aperture mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Funny video!

Do you recall what shutter speed and framerate were you using? The motion doesn't look too smooth to me, but that could also be my lousy laptop.
I was at 25 frames - as a comparison to my K5.

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
K-01 video is not smooth I find, it drops frames all over the place even when very slowly panning.
(The 'Q' is the same in this regard)
I always use a fast Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s card. I doubt I'll use it much for video at all really.
I'm also pretty sure I was using a fast SD card too.