Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
That's underestimating what's innovative about the K-01. Even if it's the platypus of cameras, the collective human race learned some excellent evolutionary lessons. It may be a while before we see the outside of cameras being this innovative/artsy but the unwashed masses (including me) who want better than digital phones but aren't shooting professionally can get our needs met through MILCs. The MILC community still has a ways to go to get it all right (e.g. better autofocus, OVF or EVF as an option, top quality lenses) but they're about 85-90% of the way there IMHO.
And having learned those evolutionary lessons, we apply them and move on. The K-01 had a lot going for it, and I'm glad more people came to realize it at the end. There was also a lot of room for improvement. The legacy-mount MILC will always have a hard time competing with MILCs with smaller register distance and more space for nifty features. It will require some creative differences. I hope Pentax explores the concept further.

That said, the dSLR crowd has been waiting a couple years for significant upgrades, and I think Pentax needs to put their resources towards those gaps in the lineup short-term. The best flagship features usually trickle down in the next generation, so any potential Brick successor would benefit.

03-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will simply remind the thread again here, for your imaginative interpretation, that in Adam's interview with Pentax early last month, on the topic of the discontinuation of the K-01, the Product Manager said (translated), "Well, it isn't completely discontinued."

We also know from John C that "The planned production run was completed."

Discuss amongst yourselves. :P
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #138
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I will simply remind the thread again here, for your imaginative interpretation, that in Adam's interview with Pentax early last month, on the topic of the discontinuation of the K-01, the Product Manager said (translated), "Well, it isn't completely discontinued."

We also know from John C that "The planned production run was completed."

Discuss amongst yourselves. :P
This will be interesting to see how it plays out down the road!
03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #139
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Nah, as much as I love my K-01(s), the Brick's time has come and gone. The production line has been shut down for six months now. Pentax needs to focus resources on the Next Thing, whether that be a new top-line APS-C dSLR, the long-awaited FF, or a 16MP entry-level successor to the K-m/K-x/K-r (which hopefully will come in forty-'leven colors, just to keep things fun).
Maybe (just an idea I had) they could make the next camera in line with the K-01, just instead of making it like a brick, they could shape it like a
TILE

03-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe (just an idea I had) they could make the next camera in line with the K-01, just instead of making it like a brick, they could shape it like a
TILE
And then release a new series of Gutter Limited lenses with it ?