Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Yes, there is. It's inevitable if purely for cost reasons that entry-level DSLRs will all go mirrorless and become DSLnR. The K-01 was just the first. Mirrors and OVFs will eventually be just for the more serious models as upgraders don't use them anyway.

Pentax just should have priced and sold it as an entry-level model. Sure as shoot that's exactly where Nikon and Canon will position their own DSLnR models when they eventuate.
That assumes it can be made profitably at that price.

02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And apparently, it still didn't sell much in September-October, when it WAS priced like an entry-level dSLR. Of course, by then, the damage was done, and the decision to end production had been made.
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That assumes it can be made profitably at that price.
Sure it can. If they can sell K-r, Rebel and D5x00 cameras for a profit, then there's surely even more profit to be pocketed by deleting a major mechanical component like the mirror/prism. Or use the spare change to add even better features instead yet stay competitively priced.

Just make them plastic and lightweight like any other cheap entry-level DLSR, just without a mirror, instead of aluminium alloy like the K-01. I actually think that's what a lot of people were probably expecting, just a mirrorless K-r entry-level replacement. But then everyone just forgot that whole notion completely once the K-01 appeared.
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

It may have been priced like an entry-level DLSR but it still wasn't being sold/perceived as one. Even to this day it's still being compared to CSCs instead of entry-level DSLRs so there's a perception problem. They could have tried to address that at the same time as the price reductions, but they didn't.

It's almost as if they just expected the K-01, or even the Newson design, to sell itself instead of trying to sell the whole notion of a mirrorless DSLR - the DSLnR. So in a way the Newson design may have been a drawback not in buying the K-01 but in selling it. Would Pentax have priced and positioned the K-01 as they did if it just had the look and build of a K-r without a prism?

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 02-26-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling.
02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know. Maybe they fell in love with the "designer" idea and priced accordingly. The Q was also very pricey at the time, but still did ~okay~ in Japan - maybe they drew the wrong conclusion from that.

Such marketing as there was did seem to concentrate on Marc Newson / MILC, instead of smallest K-mount body / great IQ / great battery life / 25 million lenses.
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Sure it can. If they can sell K-r, Rebel and D5x00 cameras for a profit, then there's surely even more profit to be pocketed by deleting a major mechanical component like the mirror/prism. Or use the spare change to add even better features instead yet stay competitively priced.
But then it wouldn't be the same camera. I'm sure they could make A camera at that price.
02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

In a way I am glad they screwed this up. I got a K-01 for $299 !!!
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Seen on Imaging Resource:

QuoteQuote:
UPDATE: Pentax Ricoh USA has just responded to our query on whether the K-01 will also been discontinued in the USA with the following quote.

"Pentax does not make official statements on topics of this nature," John Carlson, Pentax Ricoh USA's senior marketing manager told Imaging Resource. "But, I can let you know that despite the production run of this product being complete, we are still actively selling this product and will continue to support firmware updates and product repairs."

02-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
entry level

Just make them plastic and lightweight like any other cheap entry-level DLSR, just without a mirror, instead of aluminium alloy like the K-01. I actually think that's what a lot of people were probably expecting, just a mirrorless K-r entry-level replacement. But then everyone just forgot that whole notion completely once the K-01 appeared.
Begs the question from history. What were the successful designs of entry-level cameras in the past? I am thinking Kodak Box Brownie. Same thing with the Kodak Instamatic. Can look a lot like a trimmed version of the K-01, made of plastic, stripped down but with interchangeable lenses and lots of optional modules to add-on. Kodak must have sold millions of those little box cameras for a small profit and the accessories (film) at a large profit. Accessories could be flash, XS lenses, 3D attachment, who knows. Just an idea to keep the concept alive.....

02-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

Is the K-01 discontinued?

"..... the (K-01) production run is complete....." What a wonderful euphemism.
02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"..... the (K-01) production run is complete....." What a wonderful euphemism.
They sent the K-01 to a nice farm in the country, where it can run and play all it wants...
02-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #27
Forum Member

Sad news..

I'm really glad I jumped on board and purchased a K-01... Truly is a great camera. I hope I get many years out of it.

I stupidly jumped on B&H today after reading this thread, looking at K-5 and K-30 bodies.. The K-01 is my first 'digital' ILC, so aft buying a few Pentax lenses, I'm more than happy to be a Pentaxian.

Point of my story though. B&H had something like 8 pages of Pentax Qs - Pages and pages of different colour combination outfits... The Q? Are Pentax serious?

The logistics behind supplying this many colours is ridiculous... Where did the Q go right, where the K-01 went wrong?
02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Plainfaced Quote
Where did the Q go right, where the K-01 went wrong?
The Q easily won in size against other MILCs, while the K-01 simply cannot. From what I've seen, the Q was marketed on its strengths - smallest ILC, great IQ for the size, cute-factor. While some spec-heads still harp on the Q's sensor size, it's clear that it punches above its weight. Instead of a designer name, the K-01 needed to stress its strengths: IQ, small size (relative to other DSLR mounts), and uniqueness as the only legacy-mount mirrorless. Even then, if it's a niche that no one wants filled, it wasn't going to do well (some debate whether this is true or just the timing).

Last edited by THoog; 02-27-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Meant small size relative to dSLRs.
02-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #29

I just convinced my old man to purchase a K-01. He used to be into photography when he was in HS and in the navy. He is close to retiring now and looking for a hobby. For $299, the k-01 is a steal....I told him he could have my old 18-55mm kit lens that came with my old K100dsuper and a couple of old K primes I picked up. I think it is a perfect camera for someone like him who used to do SLR, and wants to get back into things. He Has thick glasses, so he finds viewfinders to be annoying. I think he will love it.
02-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I don't know. Maybe they fell in love with the "designer" idea and priced accordingly. The Q was also very pricey at the time, but still did ~okay~ in Japan - maybe they drew the wrong conclusion from that.

Such marketing as there was did seem to concentrate on Marc Newson / MILC, instead of smallest K-mount body / great IQ / great battery life / 25 million lenses.
Seems like Pentax is targeting the "young trendy" crowd, with all their different colored bodies, etc. I suppose they figure they have to get some "new blood" as customers