Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #46
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
limited to the K-mount
As a creative photographer... I've considered the "limited to" the full size lens' of the PK ount as the Pentax K-01's greatest asset. No other mirrorless out there can match the optics and aperature ranges.

02-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
As a creative photographer... I've considered the "limited to" the full size lens' of the PK ount as the Pentax K-01's greatest asset. No other mirrorless out there can match the optics and aperature ranges.
That part had me scratching my head as well. Beside the 40 years of this mount, it is probably the mount with more adapters available than any other, not to mention the folks who will put the mounts on other mfr lenses.
02-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
Well I guess the cool kids didn't like Pentax stepping on their turf so they bullied the poor little thing.

So is this Revenge Of The mirrorless Nerds? I don't mind if they think so - I am a nerd and always have been.

(Fun Fact: When word got out that I and mine were engaged 32 years ago, I overheard a Cool Kid whisper, "Oh, isn't that just great? Two Nerds with one Stone." I never knew that particular Cool Kid was smart enough to come up with such acerbic banter - kudos were assigned at the time, to great pinkness of cheeks. Heh.)
02-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That part had me scratching my head as well. Beside the 40 years of this mount, it is probably the mount with more adapters available than any other, not to mention the folks who will put the mounts on other mfr lenses.
The point that you seem to have missed is that you can adapt all K mount lenses (and many more SLR and non SLR lenses) to a "properly designed MILC".

By sticking with the K mount for the K-01, Pentax dropped one important advantage that MILCs have over SLRs - the ability to use lenses from pretty much any system designed during the film era. And SLR lenses can even gain tilting capability when adapted to these new mounts.

Instead, the K-01 offered the ability to use K lenses when the interest in that was already limited to a dwindling Pentax customer base. So the K-01 catered to a niche of what was already a niche market. That was a successful recipe for failure.

The main contribution of K-01 to photographic history is that it created a category of its own - the "improperly designed MILC". Now, if one wants to make a generic statement about the capability of MILCs, they have to add "except for the K-01".

Also, the K-01 showed that no matter how many PF users saw it as a good idea, in the end they did not amount to a viable market worth catering to.

Good riddance! Let this be the last bad new product carrying the Pentax brand.

02-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
Maybe I'm just getting older and have a camera plastered to my face for too long, but when I look through a viewfinder, I basically see just a minor crop of my normal vision. I'm taken right into the detail of the photo and can see focus on a miniscule section of the frame while adjusting the rest of the frame for composition. For me, trying to replicate this in a 3 inch lcd screen is hopeless. I understand the benifits, but for me, it just doesn't compare. Perhaps others see this too.
03-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #51
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Maybe I'm just getting older and have a camera plastered to my face for too long, but when I look through a viewfinder, I basically see just a minor crop of my normal vision. I'm taken right into the detail of the photo and can see focus on a miniscule section of the frame while adjusting the rest of the frame for composition. For me, trying to replicate this in a 3 inch lcd screen is hopeless. I understand the benifits, but for me, it just doesn't compare. Perhaps others see this too.
For me this is just the other way around and I find it very pleasing using the 3" screen. But then again, I'm not from a large group of customers to make the K-01 a finacial succes.
03-01-2013, 05:05 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,673
Different strokes for different folks

I do get it that the K-01 is not for everyone.
I do get it that some cannot live without a viewfinder.
I do get it that some think the K-01 was a bad idea.

What I don't get is that it seems some want to throw dirt on what they feel is the grave of the K-01.
Sorry if I'm reading too much into some of the statements.

Last edited by robtcorl; 03-01-2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: edit typos
03-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
@robtcorl +1

03-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
Just between you, me and a tree, I read this stuff then I look in the mirror and wonder what in the world is wrong with me that I can't see all the problems with this camera that all these other more experienced and better informed photographers see. Oh well. I've never been one of the cool kiddies so I shouldn't really expect to get it.

And even after they've killed the little thing they still come back to remind me how stupid I am and Pentax is.

I guess nothing changes. Just like High School.
03-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #55
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The point that you seem to have missed is that you can adapt all K mount lenses (and many more SLR and non SLR lenses) to a "properly designed MILC"..
I didn't miss that point at all. You can adapt just about anything to anything, but you won't have all the features working and you will have an adapter or two to deal with. Most K mount lenses out there do just about everything they ever did.

You seem to hate this camera, and I am no big fan (mirrorless isn't the best for my presbyopia). I was up for it only at a cheap price. However, the one thing it does offer is easy, fully functional, access to a mount that has been around a long time and is widespread.
03-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #56
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I do get it that the K-01 is not for everyone.
I do get it that some cannot live without a viewfinder.
I do get it that some think the K-01 was a bad idea.

What I don't get is that it seems some want to throw dirt on what they feel is the grave of the K-01.
Sorry if I'm reading too much into some of the statements.
I probably fit those three descriptions to some partial degree, but I agree wholeheartedly with the last statement. It is not a worthless device and its passing is not a cause for celebration.
03-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #57
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,251
The more I think about it, the more this seems like a non-story. The camera was produced for a certain length of time, then production stopped, the price dropped and stocks ran down. Finally, the manufacturer designated it as discontinued, just like every other camera. I'm not quite sure why this is being taken as vindication of people's scepticism about the camera or why it produced a story on DPR with almost 300 comments. It shows how people view things through the "lens" of their own preconceptions.

Pentax: Axed K-01 camera 'planned' for one year only | Amateur Photographer

I suspect something else is rolling off that production line as we speak. Can't wait to see what it is!
03-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #58
Forum Member
asahi's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Holliston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 52
Following the yellow brick road

QuoteOriginally posted by wolffy Quote
It now resides in the Discontinued Model Line on the Pentax website.
long live the K-01

I know there are other threads about this but the Mighty K-01 deserves one more
I wholeheartedly agree. My Bumblebee version saved the day in Tanzania, when my venerable K20D couldn't manage the dim morning light. And I had never tried video before, but when I cranked the Bumblebee up at a Maasai boma, it made me look like a pro...And it finally convinced me to get a K30 to replace my K20D. A blue one.

And I bought mine at full price, and consider every penny well spent.
03-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just between you, me and a tree, I read this stuff then I look in the mirror and wonder what in the world is wrong with me that I can't see all the problems with this camera that all these other more experienced and better informed photographers see. Oh well. I've never been one of the cool kiddies so I shouldn't really expect to get it.

And even after they've killed the little thing they still come back to remind me how stupid I am and Pentax is.

I guess nothing changes. Just like High School.
Psst! K-01 Klub meeting in the library during lunch! Tell the others!

Time and again, I am baffled by the hostility I see towards various camera designs. If I look at something that's not for me, I go "huh, not for me", or maybe "interesting idea, but not for me". It just doesn't occur to me that I need to tell the world how stupid it is, unless the design fails to work reliably or actually injures the user.
03-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #60
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,673
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Psst! K-01 Klub meeting in the library during lunch! Tell the others!
Be there or be square, but wear a mask!

Went to the DPR site, and hostility is putting it mildly. (by non-users of course)
Now I feel like such an idiot for ever liking this stupid, ugly, boxy piece of crap.

I'm gonna get a mask of the guy below for when I take this creature out in public, which will still be very often.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retro look for K-01 mpmetro Pentax K-01 21 07-22-2013 01:26 PM
For Sale - Sold: BNIB Yellow K-01 and DA 40XS lens ryan s Sold Items 12 03-02-2013 02:54 PM
Black K-01 = $449 Docrwm Pentax Price Watch 42 09-24-2012 09:11 AM
K-01 battery is hot during use. norm Pentax K-01 13 04-28-2012 06:21 AM
K-01 in Brazil - A Mini Review luizpaulo Pentax K-01 5 04-11-2012 07:33 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top