Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my K-01. I could have spent the money on something else, but, I'm not going to sell it. Sometimes I just don't feel like holding a camera next to my face and cranking my neck to all kinds of obtuse angles trying to get the shot I want. Sometimes I really love that tiny little almost invisible 40 XS, instead of something that sticks way out the front.

I can't see how there is something wrong with that.

The K-01 may be out of production, but for those of us who have one, it's not resting in peace. It's got years of service left in it before that happens. "Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated."

03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Be there or be square
With my K-01, I can do both at the same time!
03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
With my K-01, I can do both at the same time!
Touché!
03-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
I never liked the idea esp no viewfinder which was insane really for this type of camera. I won't be crying now this little experiement is over

When I first saw the K-01 announced, I swore I would never buy it b/c of the lack of viewfinder. In fact, I have found that I can not only live without the viewfinder, but that a viewfidner is limiting. First, liveview is just awesome for people who wear glasses. Second, with liveview, i am able to compose and take shots from angles and viewpoints I never would have dreamed of doing with my K20D. I don't have to get kn my knees for a lot of shots....I can hold it at waist level and still focus. I can hold it over my head and still focus. The only downside to the lack of view finder is in bright sunlight...but then, I always wear a scalie cap.

03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #65
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I didn't miss that point at all. You can adapt just about anything to anything, but you won't have all the features working and you will have an adapter or two to deal with. Most K mount lenses out there do just about everything they ever did.
Not really. The K-01 K mount is still crippled, which means that K and M lenses can be used easier on other MILCs than they can be used on Pentax. Takumars work better on MILC mounts than on K mount since they can use adapters that lock properly onto a mount. And autofocus lenses don't autofocus as fast as they did on SLRs, so the most important advantage is eroded.

But most importantly, the K-01 provided no advantage in this area that all Pentax SLRs didn't already provide, so this "benefit" that you mentioned satisfied no real market demand. But I am sure that this "benefit" is how it was justified by Pentax management. It "makes sense" if I shut down the critical thinking section of my brain.

You seem to hate this camera, and I am no big fan (mirrorless isn't the best for my presbyopia). I was up for it only at a cheap price.
I don't hate it - hate is irrational and instinctive and my dislike of the K-01 is very rational. I do not react to how the K-01 looks, I react as I think about its design - about what it is and what it could have been.

The K-01 just never made sense as a product. As an engineer, I just find its design painful. And this was a product that seemed to wish to exclude the best parts of Pentax engineering by outsourcing the camera body design. It tried to hide a lack of purpose behind style and it failed.

However, the one thing it does offer is easy, fully functional, access to a mount that has been around a long time and is widespread.
Just like any other Pentax K mount camera still in production and it's not as if people are stomping on each other to purchase them.

The only real advantage of the K-01 is that it has opened the eyes of some Pentax users to a different way of using a camera. It is nice to see people realizing that an optical viewfinder is not that necessary - it paves the way for leaving SLRs behind.
03-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #66
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I don't hate it - hate is irrational and instinctive and my dislike of the K-01 is very rational. I do not react to how the K-01 looks, I react as I think about its design - about what it is and what it could have been.

As an engineer, I just find its design painful.
These two statements are inconsistent - finding a design painful isn't rationale, it's a matter of taste and is an emotional reaction not one of reason. What we engineers like to call reasoning is still a matter of preference and judgment whether we like to admit it or not.

That said, I still respect your preference and judgment even if I don't agree with it.

I love my K-01 and, as an engineer, find the design very appealing. My reasons for buying were very rational - the most cost effective way @$299 to get a new replacement for my aging *ist DS while not losing features I really didn't need and I don't have to buy any new lenses. The cool design is even better.
03-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm. I majored in English Language and Literature, found math when I was 33 and now I sell statistical analysis services in Finance. I don't really know what I am. But I DO know the K-01 struck me as "right" immediately, and I pre-ordered it last year.

It doesn't matter to me what all the logical people and all the habituated viewfinder users and all the mft-addicted and all the K-mount skeptics and threatened-by-change critics think. I like my camera. I use it more than all my other cameras combined. I've never had such pleasant images come out of my hands, and I know I'm a lousy photographer so a lot of that is the camera.

It bothers me that I like something that so many peole don't like. I wonder why I am (must be) different.

But it is not a bad camera and everyone else is wrong, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.
03-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It bothers me that I like something that so many peole don't like. I wonder why I am (must be) different. But it is not a bad camera and everyone else is wrong, as far as I am concerned.
I love my camera too.

And today, on a Digital Photography seminar, I saw one lady attendee lugging a bumblebee k01. (and yes, special attention was given)

Last edited by Salagubang; 03-02-2013 at 07:32 AM.
03-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Nice to see many of us can think for ourselves, and do not let others dictate to us what we should think.
I think I'll go take some photographs now.

03-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Nice to see many of us can think for ourselves, and do not let others dictate to us what we should think.
I think I'll go take some photographs now.
RobtCorl: Isn't that the slickest combination?! The F 35-70 is really snappy on the K-01 and compact enough to fit my coat pockets. It may be large to be called a compact, but it is small enough for me.

Another happy K-01 migrant (two K-01s, a K-5 and a K10D in my household.)
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #71
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
These two statements are inconsistent - finding a design painful isn't rationale
I never said that the rationale was that I find the design painful - finding the design painful is just the result of the rationale. I have already provided the arguments for why the design is painful, but you ignored that context. If you want to ignore the rationale, that is up to you, but don't claim I didn't provide one or that my statements are inconsistent.

I don't mind people liking the K-01. Claiming that it makes sense as a camera, however, makes no sense when it clearly failed both economically and as a technical concept. It certainly makes sense to buy a K-01 to get the nice sensor packaged in it, if the price dropped and you have confidence in the future of the K mount. But confusing this with the K-01 making sense as a product is a mistake. Pentax didn't produce this camera to sell it at $300 a piece before discontinuing it - that was not their plan - that is just the result of having a bad plan in the first place.
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I have owned a K-01 for about 2 months (black, incidentally). I have used it consistently in that time, and feel that, combined with the DA40 XS lens, it is brilliant. Great size for convenience, handy to carry about all the time, and a real breakthrough for a glasses wearer.
I was very sceptical at first, but relented and bought one, wish I had bought it a long time ago. As regards it's outward appearance, I couldn't care less, it serves my purpose brilliantly, and I would say to those contemplating a K-01, ignore the detractors, and get one while you can, you won't regret it.

I wonder how many of these knockers have had one in their hands and given it a fair trial....hmmmm
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #73
Inactive Account

I never said that the rationale was that I find the design painful - finding the design painful is just the result of the rationale. I have already provided the arguments for why the design is painful, but you ignored that context. If you want to ignore the rationale, that is up to you, but don't claim I didn't provide one or that my statements are inconsistent.

I don't mind people liking the K-01. Claiming that it makes sense as a camera, however, makes no sense when it clearly failed both economically and as a technical concept. It certainly makes sense to buy a K-01 to get the nice sensor packaged in it, if the price dropped and you have confidence in the future of the K mount. But confusing this with the K-01 making sense as a product is a mistake. Pentax didn't produce this camera to sell it at $300 a piece before discontinuing it - that was not their plan - that is just the result of having a bad plan in the first place.
I'm claiming it - what you claim as logical is largely your opinion and preference, or, at a minimum, based on your experiential bias, not irrefutable logic. As an example, I bet you weren't part of the Pentax management that made the decision or perhaps you don't even work for Pentax so you don't actually know what they were thinking when they built the k-01 so any conclusion you draw is based on your own guess or how you would make such a decision or filling in the blanks based on marketing blurbs.

As another example, nothing in my reasons for buying the k-01 have anything to do with the future of the K mount but only with the future cost of buying new lenses - again, more of adding your own preferences and way of thinking to the mix - not irrefutable logic or sense. Whether you mind others views or not is not of any consequence either. Responses Iike 'mind' and 'painful' are emotional and irrational human responses, not those of pure logic or reason. OTOH, I do love the internet for the opportunity to see how others might view the same or similar circumstances and make decisions.

Your unfailing belief that your logic is unassailable is fundamentally flawed. At it's core, it's just another internet opinion - just like mine. Embrace your humanity and admit your shortcomings like everyone else.
03-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Unless your posts are generated by a computer, you are not devoid of emotion or irrationality. The strength of the language you use seems to have the same effect on everyone who reads it.
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recalling the volume of calumny last year, IMHO Pentax and the K-01 were bullied for trying something different. It really is a shame that so many people are discovering the camera as a result of its Obituary.