Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #106
Forum Member

oh. Well, I was a little hot headed when I wrote that the other night. ha ha.....I appreciate the clarification. I dont participate all too often on any forum. This is the only forum on which I currently post, and then not all that frequently and only about the K-o1. My barometer may be a tad skewed when it comes to interpreting comments and who they are intended for and in what tone. Perhaps its just a thing with photographers in general. I know I frequently am on the defensive when shooting and have had more than a few pissed off people threaten me. At that point, the "plain view" doctrine and that, in public spaces there is 'no presumption of privacy' argument can do little to prevent a potential a$$ whoopin'. So maybe some of that defensiveness carries over into the forums. It certainly would explain the lively and spirited debates! Now, if only my photos were as balanced as my arguments. Ha!

03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
and only about the K-o1
My first 4 years as a member here don't think my blood pressure ever went above .... somnambulant. Until the K-01 was released.

Maybe it is time to just hang out in the photo threads.
03-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #108
Pentaxian

In all the discussions about the K-01 I read about the poor placement of the green button. I do not know what I changed in the settings, or that it is normal with the K-01 but nobody knows. I use the exposure compensation button instead of the green button when working with M or K lenses. And it works excactly the same. It takes an exposure reading and sets the shutter speed.
And it it much better placed for that.
03-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My first 4 years as a member here don't think my blood pressure ever went above .... somnambulant. Until the K-01 was released.

Well, the K-01 certainly inspires passion, of the positive or negative variety. In that sense, I guess it goes beyond being a mere photographic tool and becomes a work of art.

It was interesting to me that the first couple comments I saw on DPR's announcement of the Coolpix A were of the "no viewfinder = worthless piece of junk" variety. At least there is consistency in the universe. Nikon's optional OVF (MSRP $450) suddenly makes Voigtlander OVFs sound like a bargain...

03-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #110
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
What i would encourage is more of an evaluation in terms of what the camera is in terms of its utilitarian potential and whether it can be trusted to deliver quality images.
You also probably want to take out of the picture any competitive products and technology trends and brand recognition. Within that evaluation framework, I would probably agree with you that the K-01 is a very nice camera. Within that evaluation framework, we would also not be able to find many reasons for why it was discontinued.
03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Maybe it is time to just hang out in the photo threads.
Most of the political threads weren't as heated as the K-01 threads.
03-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #112

They lowered the price of K01 in my country: est USD345 for the 40mm XS lenskit.

So I bought another one. A yellow bumblebee, yay

03-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #113
Inactive Account

If you want to get some insights into what the designers were thinking when they designed the K-01, read here -

http://translate.google.com/translate?client=ms-tablet-android-samsung&hl=en...26_519765.html
03-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #114
Inactive Account

One interesting tidbit from the above article is that Prime-M was optimized for movie processing. The designer felt that the K-5's processor has the edge for processing stills.
03-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
If you want to get some insights into what the designers were thinking when they designed the K-01, read here -

Google Translate
An interesting vision about cornering the market otherwise than by having colorful camera models:

QuoteQuote:
I believe this time would like to acquire a new user by not only the color, to adopt a completely new design in the history of the camera design to differentiate itself. It is for those who "want something cool", and the image of the layer you want to assert their individuality and especially Good.
And here's the response to the question about considering a mount with a shorter registration distance:

QuoteQuote:
If you make a new mount, you will be going off the rudder to stop the K mount new mount.

However, I think that rather than simply decide to choose, and want to develop fully leverage the assets of K-mount lenses that we also have some users, a new camera.
If you didn't get the last part, try again:

QuoteQuote:
However, I think that rather than simply decide to choose, and want to develop fully leverage the assets of K-mount lenses that we also have some users, a new camera.
I got that part about the K mount asset being that it has "some users".

And coming around to the fundamental question of "What is the point where the design of the K-01?", the answer was:

QuoteQuote:
"Timeless" The first (immortal). It is without obsolescence is a modern design with timeless forever. "Trusty" second (trust). That there is a sense of trust in the things. We value the feel of when the "Touchable" in third (feel), was on hand. For example, I believe that you can feel it from the pattern of rubber and aluminum parts such as unusual.
Sounds good.

Anyway, now we know how it turned out.
03-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
<snip>
Why are you here, Laurentiu? Do you own a K-01?
If you're such a hater of this model, then please could you leave the Pentax K-01 forum to those of us who use and enjoy the camera - I for one am tired of you're opinions, because that's all they are.
03-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Laurentiu -- you might want to get yourself a K-01, before they are sold out. Then, like others, you'd experience -- in your own hands -- what a great camera the 'brick' actually is. Tell you what. Beg, borrow, or steal -- but get a K-01 -- and then come back to this thread in a month with a reality-based update. How about it? That $300 you'd spend might just be the best camera deal you'll make in this lifetime. Give it a shot!
03-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #118
Pentaxian

yesterday when shooting at b-day of a nephew, I had the K-01 and my K-7 with me. At one point the kids were running around alot, so I kinda needed the K-7, and looked where I could quickly put my K-01. Well i ended up putting it in the pocket of my jacket (with a M50 f1.4) with ease. So who says it is too big and not pocketable
03-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #119
Inactive Account

Based on the interview, I think Pentax succeeded in their goals - provide a timeless unique design that's appealing in the hands; and remain true to the Pentax K mount so kudos to the design team. The one major shortcoming was expecting that the expected customer base - those who already have a good stock of K mount lenses - would be willing to pay DSLR prices for a mirrorless design.
03-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #120

The translation was very interesting.

I really love design.

What guts me is the obvious special limited pancake lens for the K01 that never and will probably never be released.

Looks like the with these kind of special lenses, the K01 would have indeed been a small system.

I wonder what would have happened if Pentax released a mirrorless lens roadmap with the K01.