Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
perpetual3 -- well, you can get the DA 21mm f/3.2... it looks pretty thin to me! And, I suppose you could put a 1.4X or 2X teleconvertor on a second 40mm, to make it more of a telephoto... so you'd end up with three thin lenses.

I have an old Pentax 50mm f/1.4 for low light. It is small, but for me, that's as thin as I'd want to go. I also love elegant industrial design, but the function has to be somewhat equal in importance to the form (IMHO)...

03-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #122
Forum Member

I got my K-01 just before Xmas 2012. I've only ever owned Digital P&S's. I have a Canon A-1 film SLR, so when I had made the decision to purchase a DSLR/ILC, the decision was easy, after seeing the reviews of the K-01 - as I was really tied to any format.

So now after a few months, I'm most certainly a proud Pentaxian...

I am worried though that my K-01 will kick the bucket. With it now being discontinued, I'm worried that I won't be able to find a replacement.

Are the current lineup of Pentax DSLRs a good camera? Nikon and Canon have flooded the market with their 'Brand' - From what I can gather though, Pentax can most certainly roll with the big boys, with build and image quality?
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Plainfaced Quote
I got my K-01 just before Xmas 2012. I've only ever owned Digital P&S's. I have a Canon A-1 film SLR, so when I had made the decision to purchase a DSLR/ILC, the decision was easy, after seeing the reviews of the K-01 - as I was really tied to any format.

I am worried though that my K-01 will kick the bucket. With it now being discontinued, I'm worried that I won't be able to find a replacement.

Are the current lineup of Pentax DSLRs a good camera? Nikon and Canon have flooded the market with their 'Brand' - From what I can gather though, Pentax can most certainly roll with the big boys, with build and image quality?
The K-30 uses the same sensor and same processor. The big differences, the K-30 has a remote control port, 100% pentaprism viewfinder, bigger RAW buffer, weather sealing, and two control wheels. The K-01 has a microphone port.

Pentax has not revealed their plans regarding a K-01 replacement as a low-end camera as of yet. There are rumors of a new camera in the $400 price range.
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Plainfaced Quote

Being discontinued should not be a concern. Your K-01 should last for years, and even if it has problems, Pentax will probably have parts for at least five years (I got a cracked faceplate on my K-x replaced well after it was discontinued). I have other Pentax dSLRs going back to 2006 that still work perfectly.

If you decide to switch from a K-01 to a dSLR, I don't think you will have anything to worry about. The current dSLRs, the K-5ii and K-30, are excellent cameras, that use more or less the same 16MP sensor; they will probably have moved onto new models before your K-01 kicks the bucket. The K-01 was a unique model in the Pentax lineup, but their dSLRs are always reliable, compact, and provide great image quality.

03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #125
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Laurentiu -- you might want to get yourself a K-01, before they are sold out.
No, that would mean that I sponsor a bad concept with my money. And my LBA/CBA is over, now I am in the phase where I am looking at shrinking my collection, not at adding more stuff.
03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #126
Veteran Member

laurentiu -- oh, come on, live a little. Why spend that tax refund on wine, women, and song... when you can get a brand-new K-01 before they're all gone? There's still time, brother! It's a VERY good deal.
03-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #127
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No, that would mean that I sponsor a bad concept with my money. And my LBA/CBA is over, now I am in the phase where I am looking at shrinking my collection, not at adding more stuff.
When does the phase where you posting your opinions of a camera you've never tried end and the phase where you go out and start enjoying photography begin?

Last edited by Rob22315; 03-22-2013 at 01:35 AM.
03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
When does the phase where you stop posting your opinions of a camera you've never tried end and the phase where you go out and start enjoying photography begin?
When people stop reacting.

I go away for a couple of weeks, and everything is just like it was when I left.
03-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #129
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
When people stop reacting.
Where's the sport in that?
03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Could the discussion be toned down a little, and focus on the topic, without any deviation to heated agreeing/disagreeing with opinions expressed.

Thanks all

Last edited by Bramela; 03-22-2013 at 12:07 PM.
03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Well, back to the RIP topic... do you think, what with a new Pope and a few prayers to St. Veronica (patron saint of photographers and laundry workers), we could lay a little divine intervention on Pentax-Ricoh to resurrect the K-01 after Easter? I mean, if you can buy a Q with your choice of what, 100 colors -- just imagine what they could do with our brick!
03-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Multi-colored bricks!!! I love it!
03-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
you can buy a Q with your choice of what, 100 colors
Actually not, that's the Q10
03-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah, as much as I love my K-01(s), the Brick's time has come and gone. The production line has been shut down for six months now. Pentax needs to focus resources on the Next Thing, whether that be a new top-line APS-C dSLR, the long-awaited FF, or a 16MP entry-level successor to the K-m/K-x/K-r (which hopefully will come in forty-'leven colors, just to keep things fun).
03-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #135
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Nah, as much as I love my K-01(s), the Brick's time has come and gone. The production line has been shut down for six months now. Pentax needs to focus resources on the Next Thing, whether that be a new top-line APS-C dSLR, the long-awaited FF, or a 16MP entry-level successor to the K-m/K-x/K-r (which hopefully will come in forty-'leven colors, just to keep things fun).
That's underestimating what's innovative about the K-01. Even if it's the platypus of cameras, the collective human race learned some excellent evolutionary lessons. It may be a while before we see the outside of cameras being this innovative/artsy but the unwashed masses (including me) who want better than digital phones but aren't shooting professionally can get our needs met through MILCs. The MILC community still has a ways to go to get it all right (e.g. better autofocus, OVF or EVF as an option, top quality lenses) but they're about 85-90% of the way there IMHO.