Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Matrix or Center-weighted?

As a new K-01 owner, I'd like to get your opinions -- what's better, Matrix or Center-weighted metering?

I often use Spot, but in bright daylight with the sun behind me, and the screen washed out, I want the camera to do the metering. I also suspect, that for 95% of my pictures, that the camera will deliver a properly exposed picture faster than I can do with Spot metering.

What's your favorite -- Matrix? Or Center-weighted? And why?

02-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
As a new K-01 owner, I'd like to get your opinions -- what's better, Matrix or Center-weighted metering?

I often use Spot, but in bright daylight with the sun behind me, and the screen washed out, I want the camera to do the metering. I also suspect, that for 95% of my pictures, that the camera will deliver a properly exposed picture faster than I can do with Spot metering.

What's your favorite -- Matrix? Or Center-weighted? And why?
Center. Because I watched a video and it said Center was better. That's how new I am to this at times.
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use center weighted, but I switch to spot when I my priority is a specific object (as long as the object isnt white or black). But I usually take a look at the histogram and adjust according to that, because I shoot raw and "shooting to the right" seems to work. In most conditions.
02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I shoot matrix with exposure compensation as needed, same as I shot with slide film.

02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I use all three, depends on the lighting conditions and/or subject of the photo. I don't think there's any reason/case to choose one and leave it set as so.
If there was one 'best' - we wouldn't need options, why would you chose something not the 'best'?
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sledger -- can you tell a difference between Matrix and Center-weighted? When would you use one rather than the other?
02-26-2013, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You might find "Link AE to AF point" setting in Custom Menu options useful if you prefer matrix metering. The rather enigmatic help text says "Auto Exposure value linked to AF point in multi segment metering". I take it to mean that it gives more weight to the Exposure value recorded at the metering segment that corresponds to the AF point that locks focus. I suppose you could rephrase it as AF point weighted metering for clarity.
02-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use center weighted. I generally can judge a scene by eye, so center weight gives me enough info to adjust to keep what I want.

02-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
sledger -- can you tell a difference between Matrix and Center-weighted? When would you use one rather than the other?
Certainly.
Multi-segment (what I think you mean by matrix) tends to bring out the shadows and balances multiple light intensities where the shot is a scene, while centre-weighted is ideal when the main subject fills a good part of the frame.
02-27-2013, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Certainly.
Multi-segment (what I think you mean by matrix) tends to bring out the shadows and balances multiple light intensities where the shot is a scene, while centre-weighted is ideal when the main subject fills a good part of the frame.
This is something I probably need to pay more attention to.
I tend to just use spot or center-weighted.

I very rarely use them, but assume the scene modes change the metering method.
Spot for portrait, multi for landscape, etc.
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I can say from recent painful experience, that trying to use a fisheye indoors to take a picture of a big black object (like a steam locomotive) with bright sunshine outside and windows in the worst possible locations, that multi-segment appears to be the least-bad choice (and if you still have your camera set to 'spot' from shooting flowers, it's going to be rough until you think to check your metering).