Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Do I have a problem with my new K 01 ?

Greetings....last week I received a new K 01 from B&H. When I took the camera out of the box to look it over I detected a strange sound when I was turning the camera from side to side. It sounded like there was something inside of the camera that was shifting around whenever I rotated or turned the camera around. I called B&H tech support to inquire about the sound and they told me to send it back and they would send another one.

Well the replacement camera arrived today and it makes the same strange sound...like something is not properly attached inside the body. I have never owned a mirrorless camera, but this noise doesn't sit well with me. Could this be normal? I would appreciate your input.

Thanks Walter

02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueRidgeClipper Quote
Greetings....last week I received a new K 01 from B&H. When I took the camera out of the box to look it over I detected a strange sound when I was turning the camera from side to side. It sounded like there was something inside of the camera that was shifting around whenever I rotated or turned the camera around. I called B&H tech support to inquire about the sound and they told me to send it back and they would send another one.

Well the replacement camera arrived today and it makes the same strange sound...like something is not properly attached inside the body. I have never owned a mirrorless camera, but this noise doesn't sit well with me. Could this be normal? I would appreciate your input.

Thanks Walter
Yes, it's normal: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/94122-b...ntax-dslr.html

It's there because of the in-body stabilization that Pentax cameras have.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the insight. And you are correct, I am a newbie. Other than a couple of point and shoots my last real camera was a Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL that I got in the late '60s. Looking forward to once again enjoying photography (instead of just picture taking). And I have a number of older Pentax lens that hold many fond memories that I can't wait to use.

Again many thanks for easing my mind.
02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think Pentax needs to write "Clunk is normal!" with a huge font on the top of the box. I wonder how much money it costs vendors and Pentax with all the returns of perfectly fine cameras.

02-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't "Pentaksu" Japanese for "the clunk is normal"?
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that gripping fear the first time your first Pentax goes "DADACLUNK" on StartUp is a Rite of Passage. Asking the question on PF is the Initiation Ceremony.
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It truly should be part of the Secret Handshake for Pentaxii - I know I asked it with my k100d

02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well...it seems that my newbie "clunk" apprehension places me in good company. Thanks to each of you for your kind reassurance and welcome.