Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Thanks a bunch for the information. Thats the camera I have and the two I am considering so it is very helpful to have an iso comparison. Since low light is my concern (in other instances I can still use the ist-ds if I really need a viewfinder), the k-01 having beter iso performance is a plus over a used kx/kr.

Since you have both, just overall, all around shooting, speed of focus, ability to focus, how would you say the k-01 compares to the ist-ds? I'm not looking for specifics necessarily, just kind of an is the k-01 a step down in its abilities compared to the ds?
I don't think it's s step down. The istDS is using 2004 Phase-Detect (though the tech had been used for ten years in film cameras); the K-01 is in the third or fourth generation of LiveView cameras with Contrast-Detect focusing, which has improved with every new model, and firmware 1.01 for the K-01 was another step up. It's a shame it wasn't the launch firmware.

The two focusing methods have strengths and weaknesses, so what might work for the one, might not for the other, and vice versa.

03-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@ripit -- response to your earlier post -- I'm new to the K-01. Used its 50-200 zoom in MF manual focus -- to take pix of airplanes the other day. Why MF? Well, I wasn't sure if the AF could pick up the little planes against the clear blue sky... since my Olympus XZ-1 can't.

I'll try out the AF on planes next week... and there's something called Autofocus Tracking that might be perfect for this, if it works. I think the K-01 will be a great fast-action camera -- we'll see. Stay tuned!
03-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
@ripit -- response to your earlier post -- I'm new to the K-01. Used its 50-200 zoom in MF manual focus -- to take pix of airplanes the other day. Why MF? Well, I wasn't sure if the AF could pick up the little planes against the clear blue sky... since my Olympus XZ-1 can't.

I'll try out the AF on planes next week... and there's something called Autofocus Tracking that might be perfect for this, if it works. I think the K-01 will be a great fast-action camera -- we'll see. Stay tuned!

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with the planes and AF if you post it (not that it would necessarily be a deal breaker).
I took pictures of the thunderbirds at an airshow with the ist-ds and it preformed well. I won't say it wasn't challenging or that I got every shot, but the camera did a decent job in AF getting a lock. I wasn't on the air base either so many were just fly by's with a brief chance for a shot. Of course, shortly after starting, I must have bumped the button on the aperture ring and knocked it from A to f22, and blew many of the shots. F22 didn't give fast enough shutter speeds to stop motion on a jet fighter, lol.
03-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Airplanes! I like the LCD screen more than a DSLR viewfinder... but at certain angles to the sun, it can wash out. Like when the sun is coming from the side, behind you. Next week, will be experimenting with a baseball cap with a neck sun-protector cloth... in the worst case, I think I can reverse the cap and flop the cloth over the camera, a la oldstyle 1900 ground-glass cameras. Stay tuned.

I've also experimented with a hotshoe Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder, Works just fine at normal and wide-angle, but not at long telephoto. Borrowed an old Nikon optical viewfinder, which is adjustable to 135mm, and I'm still trying to get it working. But using the big LCD screen for long telephoto in bright sunlight is my Holy Grail.

03-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
will be experimenting with a baseball cap with a neck sun-protector cloth... in the worst case, I think I can reverse the cap and flop the cloth over the camera, a la oldstyle 1900 ground-glass cameras.
Sounds like a great idea, except it may mean the LCD is too close to your face.
03-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I got one and it arrived today. At first it seemed fine but I have run into a problem. I'm still not sure if it is a problem though. At closer ranges (where the auto focus assist light would probably work) it was fine. When I tried at longer distances (20-25 feet) it would not focus on anything, I tried a few lenses and it would seem to be partly a needs fast glass issue. Sometimes even with a bit faster glass it had issues (I don't have any really fast auto focus glass). It seemed even with the 2.8 kit lens it would struggle a bit focusing at those distances. This is with room light. (12x16 room with maybe 12ft ceilings and 2 100 watt equivalent bulbs). I tried comparing with the ist-ds and realized it had some problems but nothing like the k-01. The ist-ds would struggle a bit occationally but the k=01 would never get focus at all. I'll have to check it out a little more.

Out of curiosity, what is adoramas return policy like for buyers remorse? I'm not sure I would feel right doing that but its not like there are any pentax dealers around here where I could have seen one. I normally don't return things for buyers remorse (this would be a first with something expensive).

On a side note, the difference in high iso performance is quite significant.

Last edited by ripit; 03-14-2013 at 01:40 AM.
03-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Try manual focus with focus peaking enabled. It's the bees knees
03-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #38

So I got one and it arrived today. At first it seemed fine but I have run into a problem. I'm still not sure if it is a problem though. At closer ranges (where the auto focus assist light would probably work) it was fine. When I tried at longer distances (20-25 feet) it would not focus on anything, I tried a few lenses and it would seem to be partly a needs fast glass issue. Sometimes even with a bit faster glass it had issues (I don't have any really fast auto focus glass). It seemed even with the 2.8 kit lens it would struggle a bit focusing at those distances. This is with room light. (12x16 room with maybe 12ft ceilings and 2 100 watt equivalent bulbs). I tried comparing with the ist-ds and realized it had some problems but nothing like the k-01. The ist-ds would struggle a bit occationally but the k=01 would never get focus at all. I'll have to check it out a little more.

Out of curiosity, what is adoramas return policy like for buyers remorse? I'm not sure I would feel right doing that but its not like there are any pentax dealers around here where I could have seen one. I normally don't return things for buyers remorse (this would be a first with something expensive).

On a side note, the difference in high iso performance is quite significant.
Try upgrading the firmware.

03-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Try manual focus with focus peaking enabled. It's the bees knees
I'm going to have to learn that anyway as I have maybe 10 times as many manual focus lenses as auto focus ones. Well see how it does with my eye site which has causes a problem with manual focus in the past unless the camera can detect in focus. I did recently get glasses though (my eyesite is only slightly out).
03-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
Try upgrading the firmware.
I have read there are many issues fixed by that. I checked and it has ver 1.0 so that might help. I don't want to mess with in in the off chance I want to return it but I'm not sure I want to (I am not the type to do buyer remorse returns even if adorama allows it). It would also be beneficial as a video camera as my only really good video camera is mini dv and I wind up never using it because the tapes are a pain in the butt to deal with. I think I have a lot of reading to do.
03-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #41

I have read there are many issues fixed by that. I checked and it has ver 1.0 so that might help. I don't want to mess with in in the off chance I want to return it but I'm not sure I want to (I am not the type to do buyer remorse returns even if adorama allows it). It would also be beneficial as a video camera as my only really good video camera is mini dv and I wind up never using it because the tapes are a pain in the butt to deal with. I think I have a lot of reading to do.
The K-01 when unleashed with firmware version 1.1 and upwards becomes a different beast .
03-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
The K-01 when unleashed with firmware version 1.1 and upwards becomes a different beast .
I just read a thread that implies that newer firmware makes quite a difference with auto focus and one person seemed to imply it helped with low light focus too. Its late but I'm going to read through the manual tomorrow and will probably do the update.
03-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Of course, shortly after starting, I must have bumped the button on the aperture ring and knocked it from A to f22, and blew many of the shots. F22 didn't give fast enough shutter speeds to stop motion on a jet fighter, lol.
I don't know why your shots were spoiled, but it's highly unlikely it had anything to do with the aperture ring. Which mode were you using? The camera only stops down in M mode. In any mode other than M, the shot would have been taken with the aperture wide open. If you were in M mode, the shot would have been taken at f22, but would have been severely underexposed without a major boost in shutter speed or ISO.
03-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The firmware upgrade is definitely worthwhile, but the K-01 is never going to equal PDAF for low light autofocus, not even compared to an older DSLR. Compared to a current DSLR, low light AFwith the K-01 is just plain bad. In good light, CDAF works well, but for long tele an OVF is far superior to an LCD viewfinder. Focus Peaking is a fantastic feature, but with a 200+ mm lens, you'll probably still want to use focus magnification and a tripod.

I like my K-01 a lot for its strengths, but it is not a a DSLR. If you want one for what it does well, you're all set. If you're satisfied with your DSLR, the K-01 can be a great addition. If you're looking to upgrade your DSLR, the K-30 beats an *ist in every imaginable way, and has the same CDAF and focus peaking as the K-01. I'm sure the seller wouldn't mind you requesting an upgrade and honestly, that's what I'd recommend. The K-01 is a super deal, but if it doesn't offer exactly what you want, then it's not such a great deal.

BTW, don't worry about upgrading the firmware. If you return the body, it will be re-sold as open box. The dealer won't care what firmware it has as long as it works and the buyer will benefit from the v1.03 upgrade.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.
03-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Like others have said, if your K-01 is running firmware 1.0 then you are going to have AF problems and you're not seeing the "real" performance of the K-01. Yes, even with the latest firmware the K-01 won't surpass the AF speed of a K-5 or newer camera but the AF is accurate and it works.

On a related note, I've found that in many cases the AF on the K-01 with the latest firmware is "as fast" or "faster" than old DSLRs like my old Olympus E-1 or Canon 20D. We're just getting spoiled by the latest generations of PDAF in DSLRs.

Bottom line, don't decide to get rid of the K-01 without updating the firmware first and retesting the camera.