Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
The green button

So to use a manual metering lens like M 50, one has to press the green button for camera to meter light and set shutter speed, but, but..

since on K-01, before an M lens is used one has to set "K-01 Custom Function 16 [Using Aperture Ring] to Enable".

Shouldn't that setting signal to the camera that a fully manual lens is used and thus enable metering at the press of the shutter rather than pressing the green button beforehand?

That is, pressing the shutter button will in fact combine the use of both buttons, first green and shutter?

02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should, but it doesn't Just like there should be an option to keep the lens stopped down to emulate a manual diaphragm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a reasonable question, but if pressing the shutter metered AND fired, what if you wanted to check / adjust the resulting shutter speed before firing? That would require yet another setting for which sub mode you wanted. They kept it simple (and confusing/annoying).

To get K/M lenses to stay open and emulate a manual diapragm, I put a slip of celophane tape on the lens mount. That also lets M+AutoISO work with them like it does forM42 lenses.
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes, I was looking for logical reasons why this wasn't done by Pentax. Perhaps it's just a matter of adding a few setup options (via firmware update) to take care of different situations. So far we have 2 situations, are there more?

02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the same on the K-01 as all the Pentax dSLRs, going back to the *ist D (IIRC, even 'Allow aperture ring' wasn't added on the *ist D until its FW 1.01). If Pentax hasn't changed it in ten years, I don't think they will for the K-01, especially now that it's discontinued.

(Paraphrasing from another PF member in a previous thread) Bear in mind that most dSLR buyers only use the kit lens or a couple other 'modern' lenses; using vintage glass is generally something the more advanced shooters do, and they won't expect/want much in the way of automation (or they will come up with their own workarounds).
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

To get K/M lenses to stay open and emulate a manual diapragm, I put a slip of celophane tape on the lens mount. That also lets M+AutoISO work with them like it does forM42 lenses.
I just experimented with that....is it normal that the lens wont "click" into the mount with the tape present?
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I just experimented with that....is it normal that the lens wont "click" into the mount with the tape present?
I think your piece of tape might be a little too long, so that it is covering the notch for the lens lock. I use a piece of tape about an inch (2.5cm) long, and position it with one edge just to the side of the notch (or the screw next to the notch, if there is one), like this:

03-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

This AM I posted an article, "the K-01, manual-focus lenses, and the green button," in the Pentax Lens Articles section. It's a summary of the different variations of using A, M, and M42 lenses in manual and aperture priority (Av) on the K-01--with contributions from various posts of THoog, Monochrome, and others.

What I've found for myself and from reading this forum isn't to be taken as gospel truth until others have substantiated or taken issue with my findings. So please take a look and comment on what you might find different, or other ways of using the lenses and the camera's controls.
03-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
pru

I am very much enjoying the way the Green button works with very old manual K lenses. I'm working entirely manually. I set aperture depending on the conditions, I focus (focus peaking makes it easy), and then use the green button to set/assess exposure, sometimes then tweaking iso/shutter speed to suit what I'm after. This old fashioned and, yes, sloooow way of shooting is helping me rediscover and relearn photography from first principles. I was last serious about the hobby 30 years ago using a film SLR and K mount lenses on a Ricoh XR500. The ability with digital to instantly review a shot is, well, IMHO a revolution in capacity to learn & experiment. Its just so much more fun than film (having to wait days to get negs/prints). Loving my fugly K-01 as a much more capable tool, and giving me far more control, compared to my prior cam, a dinky p&s Fuji F20. I'm using XR Rikenon 28/2.8, 50/2, and 135/2.8 primes.