Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #16

Original Poster
Use the fastest lens you got on the K-01's and keep them wide open. Low lighty is the primary limiting factor with the K-01. I suspect you meant a Canon HFS100, that may cause you trouble if the there is not enough light, not much you can do about that the sensor is quite small in those cams.

I use the K-01 in all manual mode and really old and fast 1.4 50mm lens I had from Pentax Super Program days that I got in the early 80's. They are great lens to shot video with and work well with the K-01. I have used them both on ISO 800 and ISO 1600. Obviously you will get more noise at 1600 but this easily zapped out with Neat Video's noise reduction for video. I also turn off all stabilization. I have seen some weird undulations with video with loud music and stabilization enabled. Tripods are an absolute must. Check your white balance on both and make sure they are the same. There is no doubt you will have to do some Color Matching and Luminance adjustments in post production but that is nature of multicam shoots.

It is always a major advantage getting access to the mixed sound output from the mixer, your Zoom device should be able to plug into most any mixer. Camera sound from the air is just awful. The Zoom device recording from the air will be better but I find they still sound kind of hollow.

And don't forget to Sing, Sing, Sing!

Check out my video blog: http://www.crematv.com

Last edited by allknowingeye; 03-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
03-29-2013, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome thanks for the info! The whole process is a lot to take in in a short period of time, so I really appreciate the help. Yeah it was a Canon not a Sony nice catch. I found out there will be a mixer and we're working on access now.
04-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by allknowingeye Quote
I use the K-01 in all manual mode and really old and fast 1.4 50mm lens I had from Pentax Super Program days that I got in the early 80's. They are great lens to shot video with and work well with the K-01. I have used them both on ISO 800 and ISO 1600.
Hi, how did you set the ISO value? I tried and found out that, even though you can set the value, the camera changes it during shooting, adapting to the light available. So even if it says 800, you could be shooting at 3200. Seems the manual mode is not so manual after all :-(

But if you know more than I do, I'd be glad to be enlightened!

Regards,

Martijn.
04-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #19

Aha, just found out how to use a manual lens on the K-01 with a set ISO value. Go into the menu and change the function of the button AF/AE-L with the little video camera symbol to AE lock. Turn the ring on the lens to adjust aperture. Then use the e-dial to adjust shutter speed. Now make sure ISO is set to AUTO, otherwise it won't work. Hit record and keep your camera pointed towards the scene you want to shoot. If you're happy hit the AF/AE-L button and you're set.

So you can't really set the ISO to a value of your liking,, nor do you know what the camera locked it at. Strange, but manageable.

If anyone knows of a better way to do it, let me know.

Regards,

Martijn.

04-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #20

Original Poster
You must go into Movie mode settings menu and the Exposure mode to M, see page 113 of the manual for more information. I see no evidence it adjusts the ISO when exposure mode is M.
04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #21

Original Poster
Page 232 of the manual indicates not all the function of M mode will work with M and P series lens. The lens I was using is an A series lens and that seems to be ok. I am using firmware version 1.03 currently on all my K-01's.

Also you cannot really use the shutter speed to control light when shooting video. If you can you should always go for a shutter speed of twice the frame rate (30 frames = 1/60 shutter speed). If you can't do that then go for a shutter speed the same as the frame rate. The videos above where shot at a 30 frames per second with a shutter speed of 1/30. That will give the best results. If it's really bright don't increase the shutter speed, increase the F stop or add a Neutral Density filter on the lens.

Last edited by allknowingeye; 04-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.
04-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #22

Yes, the problem only arrises when using M, K or screw lenses. A series lenses and newer are fine. I know about the shutter speed, but you still have to make sure it's right and set it manually. Also, it does influence the ISO value, so you have to set it before locking the exposure.

I actually think A lenses are perfect for shooting video. You can control everything manually and the focus ring is easy to deal with, unlike the one on most AF lenses

04-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by allknowingeye Quote
I've been using my K-01 for B-roll, My main camera is a $5500 Sony FS-100. But usually I really love what comes out of the K-01. I think I am going to buy another one. This video was shot with the K-01 with 50mm Pentax 1.4 full frame prime lens that I have had for about 30 years. The K-01 is winner in my opinon.

Alain Héroux - If You Believe - YouTube
i have a similar lens... how do you set your k-01 to this? ISO/F/WB?