Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enabling AF on the K-01!!!

Okay, maybe I am a retard. Can someone explain to me how to get my Tamron 70-200 or Sigma 18-50 to AF on my K-01? I have read the manual and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have the switch set to AF, I mount the lens, I can change the aperture but when I push the shutter button halfway nothing....and I mean nothing happens! HELP!! I feel so lonely!!

03-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Okay, maybe I am a retard. Can someone explain to me how to get my Tamron 70-200 or Sigma 18-50 to AF on my K-01? I have read the manual and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have the switch set to AF, I mount the lens, I can change the aperture but when I push the shutter button halfway nothing....and I mean nothing happens! HELP!! I feel so lonely!!
How about if you hit the AF button? The shutter can be programmed to AF or not.
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah....me retard. I went into the menus and realized the AF-AE button was set to AF. Doh...I feel dumb now.
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I like it that way, the K-01 is the first camera I've used where I took AF off the shutter button. I've since done the same with my K-5, and once or twice I've stared at it and wondered why it's not focusing -- so you aren't alone!

03-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I like it that way, the K-01 is the first camera I've used where I took AF off the shutter button. I've since done the same with my K-5, and once or twice I've stared at it and wondered why it's not focusing -- so you aren't alone!
Actually, I am going to try using that button for AF just to see how it works.
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I did that with my K10D a few years ago and it is hard to go back now. I hate when I focus off-center, re-frame a shot and do something like EV Comp with my thumb, then it autofoocuses again when I hit the shutter. The only problem is on mid-range bodies (like the K-01 controls) the AE-L button shares the AF function - you have to choose one or the other in Settings.

It is especially helpful on a K-01 for focusing when recording video.
03-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I did that with my K10D a few years ago and it is hard to go back now. I hate when I focus off-center, re-frame a shot and do something like EV Comp with my thumb, then it autofoocuses again when I hit the shutter. The only problem is on mid-range bodies (like the K-01 controls) the AE-L button shares the AF function - you have to choose one or the other in Settings.

It is especially helpful on a K-01 for focusing when recording video.
The k-01 let's you program the AF/AE button with two different functions - one for movies and one for stills
03-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
The k-01 let's you program the AF/AE button with two different functions - one for movies and one for stills
Yes. But in either Mode there are 4 choices. Selecting the first three disables AE-L on that button, so you have to choose between Focus functions and Exposure functions. In reality I don't use AE-L enough for it to matter, but it is still a limiting factor not present on a high-end body.
  1. AF1 = AF when AF / AE-l Button is pressed (but you can still AF with shutter button)
  2. AF2 = AF with shutter button is disabled (so you AF with the AF / AE-L button)
    1. What I use
  3. Cancel AF = While holding the AF / AE-L Button AF with shutter button is disabled.
    1. I could use this to focus and recompose if I remembered; it is a bit awkward in practice. MF lights on LCD when engaged.
  4. AE Lock Locks the EV when AF / AE-L button is pressed (and reverses when pressed again).

03-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AF2 setting

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
I had set the AF to AF2 on the Button Customization option. Go into Menu 3, Button Customization, AF/AE-L, push right an extra time, change it from Enable AF2 to AE Lock. That should work normally now. I mentioned it in a PM but did not elaborate.

03-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
I had set the AF to AF2 on the Button Customization option. Go into Menu 3, Button Customization, AF/AE-L, push right an extra time, change it from Enable AF2 to AE Lock. That should work normally now. I mentioned it in a PM but did not elaborate.

I remembered you saying something about that! Thanks for reminding me!