Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Movies with manual lenses?

How do I get proper movie exposure with non-A lenses? I couldn't find anything in the manual about manually setting aperture and ISO for movies. TIA

03-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
How do I get proper movie exposure with non-A lenses? I couldn't find anything in the manual about manually setting aperture and ISO for movies. TIA
Hello,
Press the green button in M position and then you can shoot a picture, read the exposure that then you will use in Movie position.

Regards,
Ant
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The manual seems to imply that I can start movie mode in Av or M mode as set in the movie menu but then it isn't clear how to set the shutter speed or ISO. Would this work?

1. Set movie exposure mode to M in the movie menu.
2. Set the top dial to movie.
3. Set the lens aperture.
4. Press the green button so the camera reads the proper exposure parameters. [Can I adjust ISO or Tv at this point?]
5. Press the shutter button to start movie recording.

Note, I couldn't get enough from the manual to know where to start so your post at least gave me some idea of what to do.
03-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Also, I took a movie of my niece's play using both my F1.7A-50mm and F3.5M-135mm. Both videos were sharp but the exposure with the 135 was better because it didn't have any noise - which means I somehow got the exposure right.

The F3.5M-135 are terrific bargains - plentiful, cheap, compact and great IQ

03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I tried my A- and M- lenses in movie. The green button basically works the same way it does in stills until you actually start to record a movie. The above steps work fine. I was able to adjust both ISO and shutter speed as I would with stills. The shutter wouldn't go below 1/30 which makes sense because I was shooting 24 GPS.