Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Manual Lens Iso Settings

My storm trooper white K-01 arrived in the mail today and it was a snow day here in Washington DC so I've been able to play! After the battery finally charged lol.

I'm using my SMC M 50mm 1.7 and I have an iso question/confirmation. So I enabled the aperture ring in #16 for manual lenses. If I select/set the iso then I can use the green button to set shutter speed. If I put it on auto-iso then it stays at 1.7 regardless of where I move the A ring correct? That could be useful when I just want to shoot wide open and quickly in certain situations and never worry about setting the shutter speed.

First impressions: I love the look and style. My biceps are already bigger from the weight. The screen is rich and beautiful. I need to be careful with the lens removal button as a finger on my left hand seems to sit there while I am shooting. I LOVE FOCUS PEAKING. As noted by many, green button is in bad spot.

It is my first day, but I'm excited to be part of the K-01 club!!!! (my other cam is a K-x).

03-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the cult club!

QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
I'm using my SMC M 50mm 1.7 and I have an iso question/confirmation. So I enabled the aperture ring in #16 for manual lenses. If I select/set the iso then I can use the green button to set shutter speed. If I put it on auto-iso then it stays at 1.7 regardless of where I move the A ring correct? That could be useful when I just want to shoot wide open and quickly in certain situations and never worry about setting the shutter speed.
You are correct. A trick I use to let me use the aperture ring with Auto-ISO is to put a slip of celophane tape on the lens mount. Then the camera 'floats' the ISO and shutter speed, with an apparent preference for 1/125.
03-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh are you the one that posted that somewhere in these forums? I think I saw the pic. That's really awesome and a good idea! Basically allows you to concentrate strictly on focus if you were at an event or something. No danger in messing anything up right? Is cellophane tape just any clear tape or a specific kind?
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, that's me! If you use a 28mm set to f/8 & the hyperfocal distance (~15 feet), it becomes the world's heaviest Instamatic.

I just use 3M Scotch MagicTape (that's what was on my desk at the time). All you are doing is insulating the contact that would detect a lens - from the camera's viewpoint, it's the same as mounting an old M42 screwmount lens. If you decide to remove the tape, you might want to wipe off the residue, but that's trivial. After thinking about it (not something I like to do), I've decided to leave my M lenses full-manual, and tape my Rikenon P lenses, since I already "modified" them by removing the Ricoh pin.