Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Get a grip

I couldn't resist picking up a K-01 /44mm kit a couple months ago. I really want to like it but find the grip to be extremely annoying. Who knows, maybe my hand is just too big for it. I just can't seem to find a good way to hold is comfortably.

Has anyone else found the grip to be annoying? Anyone figured out how to make it less annoying? Maybe adding some sort of additional grip? A Thumbs up, like the one available for the Fuji x-series cameras? Anything?

03-06-2013, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think one K-01'er mod'ed his with a custom thumb rest in the upper right rear corner. I have large hands, and the fit is just about perfect for me (but it took a week to get used to it). Have you tried the thumb-on-shutter-button grip (AKA "gangsta grip" or "the Hendriks Hold")?

Here are some (tongue-in-cheek) shots of various ways to grip it:

Last edited by THoog; 03-06-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added pix
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think one K-01'er mod'ed his with a custom thumb rest in the upper right rear corner. I have large hands, and the fit is just about perfect for me (but it took a week to get used to it). Have you tried the thumb-on-shutter-button grip (AKA "gangsta grip" or "the Hendriks Hold")?

Here are some (tongue-in-cheek) shots of various ways to grip it:

Wow, you've really got this K-01-holding thing worked out.
I like your "gangsta" grip.

I find that one-handed with a hand strap or wrist strap works best for me, since just holding it alone is a little awkward and I feel that I may drop it.
03-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also like to have a strap, just for security. I use a simple lanyard-type strap from a point-n-shoot - it's the kind with an elastic wrist band and a slider to secure it. Five bucks from a US source, or four for $5 from Hong Kong. If I'm feeling especially insecure, I use a pair of them. One nice thing about such a simple strap is if I am using a manual-focus lens, I can move the strap over to the left hand, since that hand will be holding on to the lens anyhow.

Back to grips - for two-handed holds, PF member Monochrome prefers to cup the camera with the left hand - I like that for manual focusing, but I also like to brace the camera in the L of my thumb and forefinger for AF. With the right hand doing finger-on-shutter and thumb-on-shutter, there's at least four ways to hold the camera. Lessee if this works - I haven't made an animated GIF in years...

03-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just knew the K-01 would be awkward to handle.
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not so much awkward as just... different. Especially if you are only used to a dSLR with a thick grip. The K-01 feels about as thick as my film P30T, without sculpted front and rear pieces. An older SLR or rangefinder is just as slab-sided, but with less to hold on to. Some members have said it's easier to use with thick gloves than a dSLR. After shooting the K-01 for over six months, it feels perfectly natural to pick it up and carry in one hand. It all depends on what you are used to.

I'm sure there are people who would tell me that taking pictures with an iPad isn't awkward, but I have to fight the urge to laugh out loud every time I see someone shooting with one in a museum.
03-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

How to hold the K-01 #4: Gangsta style by THoog, on Flickr
"Kill Shot, thats a kill shot!!"

03-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Gangsta

Gangsta is where it's at!
03-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The brick is funky but not ergonomic by today's standards, and using my thumb for the shutter hurts my hand after a short time, so I'd like to see a lightweight grip similar to these:

The Photo Village :: Photo Equip MD Grip for Leica M8, M8.2, or M9 -- Black

Alternative grip for Leica M/R series | Leica News & Rumors

.. combine that with a "thumbie" like this one:

"The Thumbie" is a cheaper alternative to Thumbs Up | Leica News & Rumors

will equal a happy camper..

Of course at a non-Leica price !!
03-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

"grip" is laughable.After 3 days of using this camera, I think that the only comfortable way for a person with small hands is to keep left hand under the camera and lens, and have the whole weight of camera on this hand.
I am not using it with 40mm lens
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Newson should turn his Industrial Design card in. No good industrial designer would ignore the feel and usability of a product for form. Industrial designers are paid to create products that are as easy to use as they are to look at.

Shame Newson, shame!

Maybe he's a Nikon user.
03-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentee Quote
Newson should turn his Industrial Design card in. No good industrial designer would ignore the feel and usability of a product for form. Industrial designers are paid to create products that are as easy to use as they are to look at.

Shame Newson, shame!

Maybe he's a Nikon user.
Gotta disagree - I've got a busted finger, and I can use the K-01 all day without it getting sore. It's a pleasant surprise. With any of my dSLRs, the joint is red and swollen at the end of the day. Maybe I'm the one in a billion that the K-01 is right for. If so, I'm really grateful they made it for me...
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, maybe I should try breaking my finger.

03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that doesn't work, a week of banging the Brick into your forehead trying to look through the nonexistent viewfinder usually does the trick.
03-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hold my K-01 like this, from I think the KX manual, but obviously about 6" in front of my face so I can see the LCD. I wear glasses (lined tri-focals) and it is actually easier to shoot this way than through the viewfinder. With my elbows in I get a stable platform for the camera body.

In fact it is a gripped camera such as my K10D or SF1n that is uncomfortable to me.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2013 at 08:50 PM.