Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wireless flash?

So i just bought myself the K-01 and I am really loving the camera, at first I was missing the front wheel but with a little bit of fiddeling in the menus that problem has been solved.

I really didn't care much for checking the wireless capabilities of this camera, I just took wireless flash for granted considering my K10D does this. Well, bit of a mistake on my hand but not a big deal. Anyhow, I have a 540 that I really like to use off camera, the thing itself is bigger than ma K-01. So I wish to fire this wireless without losing P-TTL functionality, Is this possible? I have been googling my ass off trying to find out but I am no expert in these wireless radio transmitters for flashes, so some help would be appreciated here, but if P-TTL functionality is impossible I do favour a manual solution over putting a 360 on top of my camera as a control, that would be a last resort.

Any ideas, anyone?

(I tried searching the forums but no information I found seemed to target this specific problem)

03-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, I just a got my K-01 and assumed that it had wireless P-TTL. I've read every review and many forum thread before purchasing, and I never saw that. I just checked the manual and no mention of wireless. It shows an off-camera flash connected with a wire hooked up through the hot shoe. I also went through every setup parameter, and there's nothing to enable wireless.

Bummer. I have a Metz 50 that can act as a slave P-TTL, but not as a master, so I can't use it on camera to drive wireless P-TTL.

Can you drive wireless P-TTL through a Pentax flash like an AF540? or does the camera need to support? I wonder if Pentax needed the exposure sensors on the dslr's to support wireless P-TTL. That doesn't make much sense, since they have enough sensors to support on-camera P-TTL.

This is not a giant loss for me, as almost all my off camera flash work is manual, and I'll use my Kx when I need P-TTL, but it's an odd gap. I guess I'll use this as an excuse to buy some radio triggers that I've been wanting anyway.
03-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have an answer for you but I'd love to see someone with two 360s or 540s and a K-01 find out if a flash in the hot shoe can work as a P-TTL wireless commander for an off-camera light even though the K-01's built-in flash cannot work as a commander.
03-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I only have one P-TTL flash, and it can't work as a master, so I can't test that.

03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I think you can shoot is auto with some cheap radio triggers, no? Many seem to like auto way better than P-TTL.
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, I thought for sure there were a couple of K-01 owners with two 360s or 540s that could test this out.
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
per
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How does these radio triggers in auto mode work?
What kind of triggers?
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Per,

The flashes are set to auto mode (assuming the flashes have an "Auto" mode where you can set the ISO and aperture on the flash and the flash "automatically" calculates the power output of the flash based on the aperture and ISO you selected and the sensor reading on the flash itself). The radio trigger and receiver(s) are just standard PocketWizards or cheaper knockoffs of PocketWizards ... there is no P-TTL communication. You set your camera to the ISO and aperture that you set the off-camera flash to and you set your shutter speed to 1/180 or slower to sync with the flash.

If you set an off-camera flash (or flashes) to "auto mode" then you have to position the flashes so they are the same distance from your subject as your camera-to-subject distance or the exposure won't be correct.

That's the "quick and dirty explanation but it can be more complicated in real life. Off-camera TTL (or P-TTL in the case of Pentax) is easier than using off-camera flashes set to manual or Auto mode because the camera and off-camera flashes communicate the correct exposure (or what the camera thinks is correct exposure) so you don't have to mess with the camera and flash settings.

I used wireless TTL flash with my Canon (430EX II and 560EX II) and Olmypus (FL-50R and FL36R) gear but I haven't started messing with wireless P-TTL since coming back to Pentax with the K-01.

I can use my PocketWizards to trigger off-camera flashes with the K-01 if the flashes are set to manual or auto, but it sure would be nice to have a wireless P-TTL option with the K-01.

03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Tested CowboyStudio NPT-04 wireless flash with the K-01 this morning. It works fine in Av and M. Using YongNuo -560-II flash, on its own M setting... all manual power control, no TTL. The K-01 works OK on its Manual Flash setting, but Trailing Shutter flash does not work with my radio wireless.

Same for infrared optical slave flash... there's the same problem. I want to use Trailing Curtain flash, where it goes off at the end of the exposure time. But the K-01 shoots off a pre-flash at the start of the exposure -- and I can't get it to stop doing that. If I put the Yong-Nuo on S1 or S2, which help with pre-flashes on other cameras, it doesn't work here... the strong K-01 pre-flash still triggers the YongNuo slave flash immediately, not at the end of the exposure.

Is there a way to turn off the K-01 pre-flash?

Last edited by jon404; 03-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote

Is there a way to turn off the pre-flash?
I've found the black bag that came with my DA*55 works wonders for covering/blocking flash ... short of blocking it ... there is no way to turn off the pre-flash using the camera's menus of which I'm aware.
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I could find no evidence that the k-01 uses the AF assist on my AF360 flash. I tried various combinations of covering the in-body and flash AF assist lights. The only one that appears to improve AF is the in-body light.
03-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks guys -- what I'm finding, for radio-wireless, is that the pre-flash is when it sends the signal to the speedlight... and, my YongNuo does not fire when the main flash goes off. I don't know if covering the pre-flash would work for radio-wireless.

But for infrared optical slave, that should work for long Trailing Curtain exposures... cover the K-01's pre-flash, then uncover it for the main flash.

But I think I'll just settle for regular Manual Flash, and stop using Trailing Curtain for indoor shots. Not a problem.