Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 Dilemma

So I find myself in a dilemma with this camera. I was one of the early adopters and purchased mine last May, probably one of the first ones sold in Canada. I actually bought it on impulse on the way to the airport for a trip to the Grand Canyon and took it along with my K5. Then, I really enjoyed using the camera. I thought the files it produced were spectacular and I really liked using the camera for landscapes especially, where focus speed was not much of an issue. It was nice to see the effect of metering on the LCD that you can't duplicate through the optical viewfinder. It was also nice not having to worry about covering a viewfinder with a cap to block stray light for long exposures. Also, it is a great feature that when turn the camera off before changing lenses, the sensor is covered presumably by the shutter leaves. Trouble is, it took a severe price reduction for this camera to move off the shelves. Now, my dilemma is, that I paid early adopter prices at $899. Henry's where I bought it gives you 50% back on the purchase price within a year. So now, the trade - in price is actually worth more than what they are selling for new, at anywhere from $299 USA to $415 in Canada.
I think Pentax will probably come out with some other form of mirrorless camera for the K mount in the future - or will they? - and I could consider that at the time. So, I don't want to be stuck with a camera that is worth considerably less to me then, than it is now. Thing is, I really enjoy this camera, warts and all. What would you guys do!?

03-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're enjoying it, then I'm sure it's worth a lot more to you than the current US price (remember that because the camera is discontinued, it won't be available new for $299 much longer). Hang on to it! I doubt Pentax will release a successor to it any time soon, if ever. Fixed lens large sensor cameras might be a better way for them to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you'd been sorely disappointed with it from the get go, maybe hard pressed for money and just plain were unhappy with your purchase - at the time - then that is one situation.

If you are overall happy with the camera, see several advantages to it over other cameras, think it produces great photos, and your sole motivation for trading it in is to make (some of) your money back after the fact, then... is that an honest return? There is a question of morality and simply accepting "life." All electronic items come down in price. A computer bought a year ago is supplanted today by one with much more power at a lower price.

Basically, at least from my perspective, you're asking that Henry's part with $900 so you can re-buy it (there or elsewhere) at $360. Is that fair to Henry's? Will they stay in business long, providing this level of customer service, if everyone does that with each purchase.

Smile and go on with life. Money wasn't an object for this impulse purchase to start with, so it shouldn't be an issue now. (imho)
03-10-2013, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Money spent on digital bodies is money you'll never see again. It's gone in 18 months.
Basically the most intelligent thing Ken Rockwell has ever said.

03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Fixed lens large sensor cameras might be a better way for them to go.
I'm thinking your probably right on this speculation - it would compete with the Fuji, and Lecia offerings and now Nikon's entry as well.
03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.
@yucatanPentax - thanks for your thoughts.
@kcobain 1992 - Agreed both counts!
03-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

HI,
you know there is also a rare side,
this K01 is came out only one year.And it is very particular!

So ,this is for me a "new collector"
especially in white or yellow !!!
one advice : gards!!

Last edited by Zantafio; 03-18-2013 at 12:47 AM.
03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Banned

Well if you enjoy the use off the K-01 then don't worry about the price. If you can buy a second body for $ 299 then your average price is 599!

Or be smart and return your copy and get back $ 449,50, buy a new one for $ 299 and go back to that store in one week and buy your own secondhand K-01 back for $ 199!
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Or be smart and return your copy and get back $ 449,50, buy a new one for $ 299 and go back to that store in one week and buy your own secondhand K-01 back for $ 199!

What he said!

If you end up doing that, could you also please take a photo of the pained look on the Henry's salesman's face that is saddled with your trade-in request and post it here.
03-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
What he said!

If you end up doing that, could you also please take a photo of the pained look on the Henry's salesman's face that is saddled with your trade-in request and post it here.
I was at the Henry's outlet centre in Mississauga today and they had one white K-01 with 40mm XS left at an alleged price of $310 (given by the salesman, not written on the camera) with a 25% off sale that could potentially apply on top of that. It may not be worth your time to drive up from Niagara and I don't know if the Outlet centre will process the half back deal but that may be an option for getting the most out of Henry's and still walking away with a K-01.

There is virtually no way the store would let it happen, but if you could return your camera for $450, purchase the discounted one for $232.50 and then buy back your returned camera for the same amount (or less) it would be hilarious and you would end up with 2 complete K-01 kits for $75 after sales tax.
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are all devious!