Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

For manual focusing, my process is: turn on focus peaking, compose, press OK, use the thumbwheel to zoom in/out (I usually keep it at 6x), focus, half-press the shutter to end zoom, recompose, then shoot.
This process sounds great, but fairly time consuming. How do you handle images that must be made in fast action scenarios?

03-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkymtnrider Quote
This process sounds great, but fairly time consuming. How do you handle images that must be made in fast action scenarios?
This may sound obnoxious, but .... for fast action scenarios IMHO a K-01 is not a suitable tool. The form factor, the FPS, CDAF autofocus and lack of a viewfinder all suggest that a dSLR would be better suited to Sports/Action photography.

IMHO the K-01 is best suited to contemplative photography, portrait, street (using zone focused lenses in MF setup), video and quite frankly, snapshots.

RonHendricks1966 has shown the most frequent images of sports shot with a K-01 and perhaps he can be more helpful.
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkymtnrider Quote
"Fast action scenarios" and "manual focus" don't really go together nowadays, but people did it successfully on film for decades, so it can be done with the right technique and compromises. The keys are planning ahead and using zone focusing, depth of field, and hyperfocal distances. Shooting wide open for thin DoF and demanding razor-sharp focus are asking a lot (too much, I think) in a MF/action scenario.

This isn't a great example, but it's the first one that jumped to mind. I was a couple hundred yards away when the train pulled out. I had my M28/2.8 "walkabout" lens mounted, so I trotted over to the railroad bridge, and on the way, set the lens to f/8 and ~15ft, meaning everything from about 8ft to infinity would be reasonably sharp. With more time, I could have done something more artistic with it, but I got a shot.

03-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
Forum Member

I recently got my K-01 and I'm getting used to the auto focus (firmware is updated) but I'm not always crazy about the item it chooses to focus on. I think I need to try the center weighted focusing. Originally I thought that would slow me down but it's worse when I repeatedly try to get it to focus on item x and it doesn't so center focus will probably be quicker in the end.

03-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
"Fast action scenarios" and "manual focus" don't really go together nowadays, but people did it successfully on film for decades, so it can be done with the right technique and compromises. The keys are planning ahead and using zone focusing, depth of field, and hyperfocal distances. Shooting wide open for thin DoF and demanding razor-sharp focus are asking a lot (too much, I think) in a MF/action scenario.

This isn't a great example, but it's the first one that jumped to mind. I was a couple hundred yards away when the train pulled out. I had my M28/2.8 "walkabout" lens mounted, so I trotted over to the railroad bridge, and on the way, set the lens to f/8 and ~15ft, meaning everything from about 8ft to infinity would be reasonably sharp. With more time, I could have done something more artistic with it, but I got a shot.

As a newb, I'm definitely beginning to understand that preparation is key.
I guess I had/have a pipe dream that my camera, in tandem with my superhuman reflexes, should be able to capture anything and everything at the most opportune moment possible.
The more images I make, the more clear it becomes that I currently suck, and anything in motion is equivalent to Kryptonite.
This is, however, failing to reduce the pure enjoyment I get from spending time with my camera and the adventures I take it on. I'm stoked, and I can tell you guys are too. Thanks!
03-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Just making sure that the lens is in focus isn't the whole story.

A lot of blurred focus issues could be because of not holding the camera solidly enough, the slightest camera shake whilst the shutter is open will take the edge off sharpness at best and will be blurred most of the time, holding the camera at arms length is hardly stable, with fast shutter speeds in bright light you may get away with it, but it is just that, you got away with it.

Fit a Hoodman Lupe or similar and get back that third point of contact and things change dramatically, all (well most) of your shots will be pin sharp. The other alternative is, of course, a tripod.

Chris
03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If you can tell us what lens you used, and show us some example, then perhaps we can tell you if your technique is wrong. The K-01 focus is very accurate.
03-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Has anyone noticed the k-01 focus is weird? The only thing I have to compare to is an ist-ds and point and shoot cameras (some expensive ones). I don't have any solid conclusions but I do have some observations (take them as coming from a rank amateur). In lower room light, at distances too far for the AF assist light to help, I have noticed mine likes brighter subjects more than it likes contrast. With a person with white skin and brown hair for contrast, the camera reached off to the side to grab the white curtain in the back which didn't have much contrast. Mine seemed to be better able to focus on a smooth white ceiling or door (which I thought was a big no no for contrast focus) than it does on a dark brown couch with lots of shapes, lines and contour, as well as light and dark spots where light is hitting it different. I have to go to work but there are a couple of other observations in the latter part of this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/216790-k-01-vs-dslr.html

03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There ARE limits. Ran into them today, trying to take pictures of a distant light gray Marine helicopter against an even lighter gray cloudy, hazy, foggy sky. I could see the helicopter with my naked eye, but not on the LCD screen (even with a Hoodman loupe). Why not? Well, the screen -- and the Autofocus -- were looking at what came through my 55-300mm lens... set at 300mm and 1/400 sec,, with the aperture at f/7.1... but the AF was probably using the lens' wide-open f/5.8. So what started out as a difficult AF target just got impossible for the K-01 to resolve. Not enough light, no contrast.

Solution? Spend a zillion dollars on a much brighter f/2.8 300mm lens? Well, forget that. Went to MF Manual Focus at infinity, backed off a little bit, and luck -- another helicopter came by MUCH closer, and I was able to get a picture. Not sharp, but still something. 100% crop below.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by jon404; 03-20-2013 at 09:17 PM.
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

So far, I'm finding the focus peaking to be of little good (its quite possible that I just need to learn it better). The zoom function when focusing in the other hand is turning out to be very useful now that I'm getting a little used to using it (though I wish there wasn't the multi button sequence to use it). I have to wonder if focusing on an lcd rather then seeing the actual image plays into it. Either the lcs doesn't present enough image to do as well or perhaps its just a matter of adjusting to what looks right in the lcd (I'm not just looking for ok, I'm looking for sharp).

One of my bigger problems may very well be depth of field problems. I'm using manual focus in low light situations where the camera might have problems auto focusing. These are probably situations where I'm using fast apertures so the depth of field is going to be less, making it that much harder to get a sharp image.
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Manual focusing in low light -- here's one for you. Ran outside tonight to grab a quick snapshot of a Marine VF-22 Osprey. MF, peak focus was lit up, click. But it wasn't in focus. Not the camera's fault... there just wasn't enough light, and I couldn't see to get the focus just right.

But then! If all else fails, there's always fine art. With programs like Xara Designer Pro and Akvis Artwork, to turn that tacky blurry mess into an expressive post-modern gallery piece (something like that). The moon is courtesy of me; it actually was in a different part of the sky today.

EDIT -- just read the post by THoog, above. What a great train picture! And the comments about planning ahead of time are so important... so, like he did, you'll have time to figure out DOF... and take a beautiful picture like that with the locomotive coming right at you. Glad the K-01 has zero shutter lag!
Attached Images

Last edited by jon404; 03-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.