Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Have you upgraded the firmware for the EyeFi cards? Any upgrade for the cameras?
They are extremely finicky, as each firmware upgrade can alter their behavior. (as I was told directly from EyeFi).
Be sure you have the latest firmware.

Environment can have a bit of influence on the cards working as well. Not much you can do about that. But the EyeFi signal is pretty weak, as would be expected unless you want it to burn up inside your camera or perhaps make your batteries to go dry in minutes, so it doesn't take much to screw with it.

It is possible, like tclausen said, perhaps the card is bad?
EyeFi support has been pretty helpful, they may send replacement card to try. Can't hurt to ask.

It is not a perfect solution. In general, once I have the cards configured and working, they work well.
But the desktop software they have to configure the cards is just some of the worst design I've seen. The entire concept that you need to be connected to the Internet to change a setting on the card is beyond me. When I'm in the field (literally) 20 minutes from nowhere and I need a simple card change (lets say I want to xfer RAW instead of JPG), I need to drive into town and find Internet access to make that sort of change. Just complete BS!
Absolutely agree with everything....they're very flimsy with the firmware, generally "newer is better", and their support is surprisingly good.

And yes, it's utterly incomprehensible that you need to jump through tons of hoops to change and configure the card. While I am very happy with the way the cards work when they work (I take only raw, ever, and once the settings are nailed down I don't change them), I'd very much want something less roundabout and not requiring the internet...

03-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a sample of what's wrong with my K-01 - taken when I first powered the camera on this AM
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo   
03-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, never seen anything quite like that before, but from what I've heard for the behavior of other issues I would not rule out a bad SD card.
If this is with the EyeFi card, I would definitely send it back.
03-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, never seen anything quite like that before, but from what I've heard for the behavior of other issues I would not rule out a bad SD card.
If this is with the EyeFi card, I would definitely send it back.
It's not the card - the same thing happens on two different cards from two different manufacturers. Plus the image looks bad on the screen before it gets read onto the card. BH already has my exchange set aside for when they come back from Passover. There's a faint buzzing noise from the right side of the camera too.

Last edited by Rob22315; 03-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.
03-16-2013, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are my initial notes on the card -

1. Card format - I had to format the card in the camera before my computer would recognize it. My windows machines all took a minute or two to find a good driver as well.

2. Firmware upgrade - upgrading the firmware is a must since there were a couple of significant changes to the way the card switches between direct mode and internet mode but the upgrade was a PITA. Transcend provides, via internet download, an executable file for windows machines but I couldn't get it to run on either my Windows 7 machine or my XP laptop - it threw an error and hung on both machines. I tried the Mac version (on a Macbook of course) but the Mac version is based on downloading the firmware files to the computer then transferring them to the card for subsequent install by the card when it was put back into the camera. For some reason, the Mac refused to transfer the files to the card. I ended up doing a combo - I downloaded the Mac version on a PC then used the PC to transfer the firmware files to the root directory on the card. Then I put the card back in the camera and left it powered on for 7-8 minutes (had to change the power settings on the camera) so the card would do the firmware upgrade on it's own. Once the card/camera were done doing the upgrade, I cycled the camera power and had v1.6 on the card. The instructions provided with both the Windows and the Mac versions of the download only talk about the 'file transfer' method, not the executable so Transcend hasn't done a great job of keeping the documentation up with the latest features.

3. Getting the card and my android tablet to talk to one another - to date, I've only used direct mode - the card and tablet are directly connected. Making this connection was exactly like signing onto a router. Turn the card/camera on, wait until the tablet sees the signal, log into the card. The users guide has the initial settings - SSID and key to log into the card. There's also an admin name/password to make admin changes to the card as well so you'll want to write both of those down once you change them from the default settings.

4. Using the tablet software - the android app is simple and easy to understand as it only provides three basic functions - 1. Browse/Download, 2. Shoot/View, and 3. Settings. Once I got all the above stuff done, using the app was easy. The app will transfer JPEG, movie and DNG files but can only display JPEG files (I haven't tried to display movie files yet and the manual says the app will play movies). In fact, it will transfer any file type on the card since the app has a mode where it displays the files names of all the files on the card. Transfer rate for a full DNG file ~14MB was 10-15 seconds per file but painless. I was able to transfer one file at a time. I don't know yet know if there's a bulk tranfer mode. The initial, display image transfers are compressed and of a much lower resolution than is native to the camera. This was done to improve responsiveness for indexed viewing of files and the shoot/view mode. I haven't tried the Shoot/View features yet.

5. Power - the card uses a wicked amount of power from the battery and gets quite warm. I finally found the wifi settings in the android app which control all the features of the card and set the card to turn off the wifi after one minute of browsing inactivity. Without this feature, I would consider the card to be virtually useless because of the battery drain. I do see this as a bit of a problem for those who turn the camera on for a few minutes and take a few shots then turn the camera off as this will essentially keep the wifi on most of the time the camera is being used. If you keep your camera on and shoot often, then this feature is great for keeping the rapid power drain to a minimum until you need the wifi. To turn the wifi back on - just cycle camera power and fire up the tablet. Note that there's nothing in the K-01 menus tailored to using one of these cards. A few DSLRs have some controls for the card built-in. Having the ability to turn off the wifi from the camera menus would make the power drain issues go away.

I will post some observations about how the card impacts the camera during shooting in a week or two. Same for using Shoot/View and internet mode where the card logs into the router rather than the tablet. I'm going to ship my current K-01 back to BH for a swap on Monday (see my previous posts in this thread).

Last edited by Rob22315; 03-20-2013 at 05:03 PM.
03-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

But the desktop software they have to configure the cards is just some of the worst design I've seen. The entire concept that you need to be connected to the Internet to change a setting on the card is beyond me. When I'm in the field (literally) 20 minutes from nowhere and I need a simple card change (lets say I want to xfer RAW instead of JPG), I need to drive into town and find Internet access to make that sort of change. Just complete BS!
Agreed, and is the main reason I'd never recommend or buy EyeFi again.
I wanted to sell the card, but in order to 'de register' the card to allow the new owner to use it, I was told I had to install their software again.
Well I wasn't prepared to do this, so I used the card just as a normal card now.

Yes, all firmwares are up to date.
03-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Agreed, and is the main reason I'd never recommend or buy EyeFi again.
I wanted to sell the card, but in order to 'de register' the card to allow the new owner to use it, I was told I had to install their software again.
Well I wasn't prepared to do this, so I use the card just as a normal storage now.

Yes, all firmwares are up to date.
03-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got my replacement K-01 today. Interestingly, it had firmware 1.00 which I expected given that the firmware upgrades came out after the K-01 stopped production. The first K-01 I received had 1.02 in it out of the box. So far, I haven't seen the error but I'll know better tomorrow.

I'll start shooting and playing around more with the wifi card and post results before the end of the weekend.

RG

03-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
I got my replacement K-01 today. Interestingly, it had firmware 1.00 which I expected given that the firmware upgrades came out after the K-01 stopped production. The first K-01 I received had 1.02 in it out of the box. So far, I haven't seen the error but I'll know better tomorrow.

I'll start shooting and playing around more with the wifi card and post results before the end of the weekend.

RG
I have to wonder if that first body hasn't been around before. I was puzzled when you first said it arrived with FW1.02, because no one else has reported a new body with anything but FW1.00. After you had to RMA it, I'm downright suspicious...
03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have to wonder if that first body hasn't been around before. I was puzzled when you first said it arrived with FW1.02, because no one else has reported a new body with anything but FW1.00. After you had to RMA it, I'm downright suspicious...
Me too. There was no evidence on the original box that it was anything but factory fresh but who knows. Fortunately, BH still had the white body/lens in stock and I got to them in time. They're now out of the white/lens combo.

I turned the camera on this AM and got a perfectly clear picture, as expected.

RG
03-23-2013, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's round 2 of my notes -

1. Internet mode - I got the card to connect to my router and was able to access the photos on the card from my android tablet. Transfer times are much slower than with direct connect. The advantage with this type of setup is the ability to post directly to facebook although I haven't tried this yet. The card can store security settings for up to three internet access points.

2. Ability to transfer RAW files - I confirmed that the android app can see mixed types of files on the card when they're there and I did transfer a RAW file to the tablet. I don't currently have an app on the tab to decode RAW files so I couldn't take the file into my photo editor (adobe touch among others). I haven't tested it with a movie file yet either.

3. Impact to camera operation - other than using more battery power, I didn't see any impact to operating the camera with a normal SD card. No huge delays in write times compared to my other class 10 cards but be aware that I'm not using the top-of-the-line class 10 cards either.

4. Direct mode update - I often have to log in twice to the card in direct mode. I get an authentication error on the first try. I don't know the source of the error, I may ask Transcend for some assistance. It doesn't take more than 5 or so seconds to do a second log in so it's not a huge deal.

5. One more note on default transfer mode - it turns out the card has a default transfer mode which can be changed in the settings portion of the app. This default mode is set to 'direct' from the factory and the card will revert to the default mode when power at the card cycles. I left it set on 'direct' since that seems to be the most reliable way to access the card.

If you have to transfer files via an internet access point to a PC or Mac, the card does support talking to a browser.

Overall, I recommend this card to anyone who has a need to transfer files wireless to a computer or a tablet on a regular basis.

Last edited by Rob22315; 03-23-2013 at 01:54 PM.
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks for your reviews of this card.
Personally I think I'll just wait until wireless connection becomes a standard built-in feature for cameras..
03-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Thanks for your reviews of this card.
Personally I think I'll just wait until wireless connection becomes a standard built-in feature for cameras..
Having the card functions integrated in with the camera would make this much better.
04-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #29

Can anyone confirm whether the Transcend Wifi card can transfer RAW images to a PC?
04-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizzard Quote
Can anyone confirm whether the Transcend Wifi card can transfer RAW images to a PC?
Yes it can. There's a browser interface that will transfer RAW. In the end, I don't use the card - it's too slow and my shooting habits don't need immediate transfer to a tablet or computer. Also, android tablets don't have color management so good photo editing is guesswork. I may sell it.