Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Transcend wifi card

I just ordered one from BH for $40 for the 16gb model. Anyone have any tips for using this with a k-01?

03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sure.. Combo this with ---> HyperDrive iUSBPort..

iUSBport
03-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
I just ordered one from BH for $40 for the 16gb model. Anyone have any tips for using this with a k-01?
Hmm....no tips, but I was looking at that card also. All documentation I could find indicated, that it only transferred jpeg, and not RAW - at least, I did not find confirmation that it did transfer RAW - so I got myself another EyeFi card instead of running the risk.

I'd be very interested in your experience once you get yours - if it can do RAW or not.
03-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Sure.. Combo this with ---> HyperDrive iUSBPort..

iUSBport
Looks nice but that's more than twice what I spent on the wifi card.

03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can it connect with windows OS'es?
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Let us know how it works. I had wanted to get one, but read a few reports with some iffy thing about it, like you have to turn off the power save functions in the camera, or when the camera goes dormant, so does the power to the card. You get the point.
03-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Let us know how it works. I had wanted to get one, but read a few reports with some iffy thing about it, like you have to turn off the power save functions in the camera, or when the camera goes dormant, so does the power to the card. You get the point.
No problem. The card should arrive on Friday or Saturday. I've already downloaded the Android app and located the latest card firmware so I can make sure I have the latest of both.

03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a couple of EyeFi cards, but the desktop software required to set it up and the hoops you need to jump through is a major PITA.
I am really interested in hearing how the Transcend cards work out for you.

I have all Transcend standard SDHC cards and they have held up better than Lexar and other higher priced cards. I have high hopes for the WiFi versions.
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Wouldn't that be the same for /any/ WiFi SD card? I mean, if the camera power saves by way of un-powering the SD slot, there's nothing the SD card can do, but to obey....
03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I have a couple of EyeFi cards, but the desktop software required to set it up and the hoops you need to jump through is a major PITA.
I am really interested in hearing how the Transcend cards work out for you.

I have all Transcend standard SDHC cards and they have held up better than Lexar and other higher priced cards. I have high hopes for the WiFi versions.
I see a lot of people that have difficulties with Eye-Fi cards. Personally, I have used one in my Canon S95 for 2 years now and I think it is great. Setting it up wasn't that hard and now it automatically uploads the photos to my computer and to Photobucket. I have considered one of the 16GB Pro Class 10 versions since I am starting to shoot Raw with the K-30 but I assume that will be much slower.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Wouldn't that be the same for /any/ WiFi SD card? I mean, if the camera power saves by way of un-powering the SD slot, there's nothing the SD card can do, but to obey....

Well, when using the Eye-Fi cards, the camera firmware can control the card and work with it. So, if the card is transmitting, the camera will stay on until it is done. Likewise, when picture is taken, the wifi connection is established again. Granted, this is in the "Internet Mode" where the card is connecting to a home network. Maybe it has issues reconnecting after it comes out of sleep? If the other device is scanning wifi and setup to auto-connect then I am not sure what the issue would be.
03-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K-01 and Q don't like the EyeFi Pro X2, but the K-7 is fine with it.
I have an S95 as well, worked with that as well so I'm not sure why the K-01 and Q don't like it, can't even format it in the camera, just get a 'card error' - so I stick with the Sandisk Extreme cards.

So yes, I'm interested in reading about experience with other cards on the market, the Trascend and the WiFi cards that Chinavasion are selling.

@amoringello: Yep, I'm with you on the EyeFi desktop software and the whole setup and account routine, ridiculous.
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
K-01 and Q don't like the EyeFi Pro X2, but the K-7 is fine with it.
I have an S95 as well, worked with that as well so I'm not sure why the K-01 and Q don't like it, can't even format it in the camera, just get a 'card error' - so I stick with the Sandisk Extreme cards.

So yes, I'm interested in reading about experience with other cards on the market, the Trascend and the WiFi cards that Chinavasion are selling.

@amoringello: Yep, I'm with you on the EyeFi desktop software and the whole setup and account routine, ridiculous.
Incorrect.

I use EyeFi Pro X2 in both my Q and my K-01, without a glitch, since I've had the cameras. They work very well indeed.

I'd guess that you may have gotten a dud of a card, or something?
03-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well it's 'correct' for me and my experience. The card works very well in the other cameras. So, go figure
03-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Well it's 'correct' for me and my experience. The card works very well in the other cameras. So, go figure
Have you upgraded the firmware for the EyeFi cards? Any upgrade for the cameras?
They are extremely finicky, as each firmware upgrade can alter their behavior. (as I was told directly from EyeFi).
Be sure you have the latest firmware.

Environment can have a bit of influence on the cards working as well. Not much you can do about that. But the EyeFi signal is pretty weak, as would be expected unless you want it to burn up inside your camera or perhaps make your batteries to go dry in minutes, so it doesn't take much to screw with it.

It is possible, like tclausen said, perhaps the card is bad?
EyeFi support has been pretty helpful, they may send replacement card to try. Can't hurt to ask.

It is not a perfect solution. In general, once I have the cards configured and working, they work well.
But the desktop software they have to configure the cards is just some of the worst design I've seen. The entire concept that you need to be connected to the Internet to change a setting on the card is beyond me. When I'm in the field (literally) 20 minutes from nowhere and I need a simple card change (lets say I want to xfer RAW instead of JPG), I need to drive into town and find Internet access to make that sort of change. Just complete BS!
03-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It looks like my test is going to get delayed. I'm exchanging my K-01 for a new one because the sensor doesn't initialize properly when I first turn it on for the day. It looks low rez and full of weird line artifacts. Any pictures shot look the same. If I cycle power, the problem clears but that's not right - how long before this becomes permanent. Thankfully BH has a 30 day exchange policy and still has the body/lens still in stock.