Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That will be a fun test! Years ago, we had a family friend, who had been the American Express agent in Paris after WWII. A truly self-anointed wine expert. So my Dad had me go get a bottle of Almaden chardonnay, an inexpensive California white wine, and the next thing we knew, Dick was telling us where in France it was from... the appellation, the vineyard... even the hillside. Le terroir! Mais oui! It was too much, and we just didn't have the heart to tell him.
You might run into the same intensity on DpReview! But this forum has, I think, a lot better-balanced people.

07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #122

Oh, it's just for fun and I made sure it's an uninteresting shot so it's just a matter of what sharpness, aberrations, and color rendition the voters/commenters like best with no distractions. None of the lenses are even modern except the control lens which is my Sigma 17-50/2.8 EX DC zoom at 50mm. Also I used IBIS also on the test since my tripod isn't tall enough, and I couldn't shoot each lens at the same time of day, so it's not the most scientific of tests. I already found one of the lenses has an infinity focus issue I need to fix so I can include it.

DPreview is a place I wouldn't dare do this sort of test. I don't want to start any fights.
08-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most used lens with K-01

I just returned from our once in a lifetime 12 week road trip to Alaska. I used the K-01 (white) with the Tamron 10-24mm 100% of the time, with a Kaiser digiShield3 for over half of the photos taken. Placing the Tamron at 10mm right up against old building windows produced clear pictures of almost the entire interior of any given semi-darkened room (at ISO1600). 24mm setting worked great for most walk around shots. The other half of pictures were taken with the K30 and the Pentax DA 55-300. Video clips were recorded with a Panasonic model V710 for really great HD capture. The set up produced a good range of scenic and museum pictures with outstanding results. Love or hate the K-01? I absolutely love it. The mirror-less design allows for me, nearly instant photo capture on the fly compared to the K-30 in LV mode. I'm pondering obtaining a second K-01 for the 50-300 to obtain commonality and speed when switching between lenses as events quickly present themselves.