Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #1

New K01 problems

I have just got a new K01 with some issues which I don't understand.
I can not switch to Automatic focus. The monitor shows only MF changing to AF makes no change.
The Mode Dial is in Auto but the monitor shows AV.
The F stop is blank and I can not change it.
No half press of the shutter realeas button.
No green AF frame focus display in the monitor. I loooked up in the menu and the settings are fine.
I had a problem with the shutter release, did not work at all, but I fix it in the menu.
I can take pictures but I can not control what I am doing and it's a new camera!

03-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which lens do you have on it? It sounds like a manual focus lens and not in the A setting. And then you cannot yous AF, or Auto settings, just manual settings
03-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 has a physical switch next to the lens mount for AF.
03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What lens are you using on the k-01? I am assuming it is an AF lens, if so, it is likely the screw drive mechanism did not engage properly, try to reseat the lens. Before doing that, make sure the screw-mount pin is free and not stuck, then try to mount the lens again, and also make sure that the lens is fully engaged.

03-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Amr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
which lens do you have on it? It sounds like a manual focus lens and not in the A setting. And then you cannot yous AF, or Auto settings, just manual settings
I am using Pentax DA 40mm f2.8 XS - the one specially designed for K01
03-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amr Quote
I am using Pentax DA 40mm f2.8 XS - the one specially designed for K01
Try to unmount and mount it again... making sure you hear a slight 'click' and the white line is lined up properly on top. This lens is probably the hardest to mount as the base is so thin.
03-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Amr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
What lens are you using on the k-01? I am assuming it is an AF lens, if so, it is likely the screw drive mechanism did not engage properly, try to reseat the lens. Before doing that, make sure the screw-mount pin is free and not stuck, then try to mount the lens again, and also make sure that the lens is fully engaged.
I am using Pentax DA 40mm f2.8 XS
I reset the lens and it works fine. But still no AF, just MF.
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Check your af modes. You may be set up for back button (AF/AE-L button) focussing.

03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Amr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Check your af modes. You may be set up for back button (AF/AE-L button) focussing.
It seems that I can not get any AF. Not with AF/AE-L button, not with the front AF/MF switch, nor do I get green AF frame focus display in the monitor.
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems that I can not get any AF. Not with AF/AE-L button, not with the front AF/MF switch, nor do I get green AF frame focus display in the monitor.
Most likely your lens is not fully mounted, as described above. There were a few new users who also had this problem last year. Dismounting and remounting your lens, ensuring it FULLY mounts until it clicks, usually solves the problem.
03-14-2013, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome.
When mounting the 40mm XS make sure it CLICKs into place, the little line on it has to be at the top and not at the side. The lens can be a little hard to mount the first couple of times. Make sure the AF/MF switch on the camera body (near where the lens is mounted) is set to AF and that you have AF enabled in all the menus.
Make sure the lens contacts and camera mount are clean. It would be great if you can try another lens on that camera and another camera with that lens. When you have the lens on there and switch to Tv mode, what does it say on the screen? Does it actually say Tv or Av/M?
03-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Before mounting the 40mm XS lens, you should also try to press the screw-drive pin on camera mount to make sure it springs up nice and free. This is where the AF mechanism will engage once the lens is mounted. As others suggested, if you have another AF lens, try to see if you encounter similar problem.
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Amr

Original Poster
Before mounting the 40mm XS lens, you should also try to press the screw-drive pin on camera mount to make sure it springs up nice and free. This is where the AF mechanism will engage once the lens is mounted. As others suggested, if you have another AF lens, try to see if you encounter similar problem.
The lens mount is ok. I have done as all you suggested. The lens clicks nicely in its place and the white line is in the top. I
The camea is switched to AF, and yet no AF!
One thing puzzeled me. In the menu - AF/MF Settings, the first line: Autofocus Method is in grey, no access!
The mode dial settings are fine; TV mode is TV on the monitor etc.
I have made some video indoors tests with well composed frames and lighting and used a fluid head tripod - with execllent results, standing well
along side much much more expensive cameras from Canon and Nikon, with manual change focus done with great ease.
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

One thing puzzeled me. In the menu - AF/MF Settings, the first line: Autofocus Method is in grey, no access!
On my k-01, it is not grey out, so it could be a problem with your 40mm XS lens. Try cleaning the contacts on that lens to see if it improves. By the way, also check the firmware to make sure you have the latest firmware.
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Amr

Original Poster
On my k-01, it is not grey out, so it could be a problem with your 40mm XS lens. Try cleaning the contacts on that lens to see if it improves. By the way, also check the firmware to make sure you have the latest firmware.
I have the original firmware.