Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RustyWrangler Quote
However, it remains a stupid design! As much as I love the camera, that feature was a mistake.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
yup!!
I refuse to let a small thing like that ruin the camera for me. I just deal with it and get on with it.

But I really can't understand why they didn't just make a hard door and cover it with the same rubber.as the body.

03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I refuse to let a small thing like that ruin the camera for me. I just deal with it and get on with it.

But I really can't understand why they didn't just make a hard door and cover it with the same rubber.as the body.
It does not spoil the ownership experience, I just don't understand what they were thinking. A hard door! There ya go!! I agree totally.
03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Being different for differentness' sake? It's the Pentax way, after all...

I don't know, so much about the K-01 makes picture me the design team in a meeting saying (in Japanese, of course), "eh, let's try it and see what happens".

Just watch, everyone will go to rubber doors for entry-level dSLRs, and we will have been on the cutting edge of crappy flappy technology!
03-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Being different for differentness' sake? It's the Pentax way, after all...

I don't know, so much about the K-01 makes picture me the design team in a meeting saying (in Japanese, of course), "eh, let's try it and see what happens".

Just watch, everyone will go to rubber doors for entry-level dSLRs, and we will have been on the cutting edge of crappy flappy technology!
Why would the design team be speaking Japanese? The camera was designed by Marc Newson...

03-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

it should speak

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would the design team be speaking Japanese? The camera was designed by Marc Newson...
They should have put in a voice module so that it curses at you and uses sarcasm everytime you push the shutter. "You %$!@^*, can't you do better than that?? Even that dumb*** Marc Newson can do better!!!" Maybe with an old-fashioned pull-string in the back like a toy doll. The perfect cult camera, a K-01 with an attitude.....

Last edited by goldenarrow; 03-15-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: .
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Newson designed the exterior styling, but there definitely was a Pentax design team who decided what would (and wouldn't) go into the camera, set the specifications, went back-and-forth over the design, did the engineering, and ultimately made the camera. And they looked something like this:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20120326_519765.html

(Wakashiro-san is demonstrating an unusual left-hand grip...)
03-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Newson designed the exterior styling, but there definitely was a Pentax design team who decided what would (and wouldn't) go into the camera, set the specifications, went back-and-forth over the design, did the engineering, and ultimately made the camera. And they looked something like this:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20120326_519765.html

(Wakashiro-san is demonstrating an unusual left-hand grip...)
They look happy

03-16-2013, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They look happy

Obviously taken before the sales figures came in, still, their loss - our gain.

Chris
03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Word, yeah these guys might be out of work now .. lol

The rubber flap actually has no wear or stress on it, it just dangles there and is flexible rubber, so any worries about it falling off are over exaggerated (unless you keep pull on it for some OCD reason).
03-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I get a sense that most of the clearance price K-01 stock are scooped up by Pentax users (like many of us here). It would be nice if this clearance price drop has helped them to gain some market share from would-be entry level DSLR buyers.
03-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You would think from some of my recent posts that I have the k-01 but I do have a lot of good things to say about it.

I am moving up (and in a few ways down) from an ist-ds
The performance of the sensor (image quality and high iso performance) is stellar.

While it could use a little more grip, I can live with it

I don't care tht its ugly

Under some circumstances to auto focus is faster than my ist-ds

The autofocus is more accurate than my ds

It works very good in bright light, even with some long lenses (though it seems to be more picky all around with lenses)

The screen quality is very good

My only major complaint is low light auto focus at distances too far for the af assist light to help. I am learning there are ways to partially overcome this by just learning the the camera and its setting, learning what kinds of things the camera likes to lock on so you can focus and recompose, and learning what lenses it plays well with (slow glass seems a liability there but it seems even with slow lenses, it might do better with some than others).

There is no question at all, for $110 more than the lens would cost, its a deal.

Not being able to use and external flashes Af assist light (even on supposedly compatible pentax brand flashes) is a big issue to me and the fact that my aftermarket pttl flash doesn't work at all is a big issue. I'm hoping that some of it might be fixed in future firmware updates.
03-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
WOW this tread went in weird directions...

So an update on my experience with the K-01 after 3-4 days.

Focus peaking and manual lens. I need to have my glasses on for this to work! but I after some very failed photos I finally got the hang of it. I think in time I will get better at it

40xs lens: This is a really sharp lens with nice color and it really shows with the 16mp sensor. I used it on my k-r as well and makes the 12mp closer in image quality. I don't think I own anything this nice except my 50mm 1.4 A lens.

LCD: yea a pain in the daylight but I was at Mike's Camera in SF getting some film developed (which they did for me in less than an hour for 4.50 develop only. 2 thumbs up) and they had a 3 inch lcd shade in stock. Bought it and had them put it on. This plus increasing the screen brightness helps.

Face tracking autofocus. I don't like this. It seems to focus everywhere but where I want it to. K-01 doesn't have a multiple point AF like the K-R so I am using spot with much better success.

No viewfinder. I got use to this so fast that I started using liveview on my k-r. Not as fast as k-01 but just as fun!

Image Quality. I am blown away by it. It makes me want to sell the k-r and get a k5 or k30

I showed the carmera to a designer friend and he loved the design and used it to take some nice pics! I am liking the design more and more. I wish the green and red button were reversed or if we had the choice to set them up reversed in the menu options (Pentax? firmware upgrade?) As for being a brick? My film cameras are all boxes as well so I really am not noticing any issues. I shoot film cause i like the feel of the old cameras and this feels close. yea no veiwfinder but I seem to be adjusting.

And to comment on other topics in this thread: I doubt anyone but Pentax users bought this just based on all the reveiws it got. They were all incredibly ambiivent and could not get past that it was "different". The issues were mainly ergonomic in nature but none of them bad enough to garner the fainthearted praise it got. IMHO The main issue that probably kept people buying it was the autofucus speed and that was vastly improved on later firmware. Too bad it got released without those improvements or none of the sites retested.

I think Pentax can have a winner here with a litte tweaking of the design. Smaller camera with dedicated lense and k mount adapter, quicker autofocus and evf. And keep it competitively priced with the other big sensor mirrorless cameras.