Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG I think I am in love

I like reading what others say about the K-01 so I thought I would add my voice.

These are just first impressions but I just got my white K-01 yesterday. I, too, like a lot of people on this forum, wrote it off based on the reviews and then decided to buy it when the cost of it was only $100 more than the cost of the 40xs lens. I read over and over how folks like me actually got the camera and found it to exceed their expectations.

Things we I have found so far

1. The screen quality is amazing. The pictures are so clear and I can tell what I have capture. I have used it in the mid day sun but so far I am impressed.
2. Image quality is better than my K-R. I have always read about how great the image quality of the 16mp sensor was but didn't think I would notice it. I notice it.
3. Formfactor. I know this has been very controversial on this camera but I adapted very quickly. I hold in my left hand and use my right to change setting and steady it when I shoot.
4 Autofocus. Fast enough. I updated the firmware to 1.03 within hours of getting it and it seems to be fast enough. I am not even using the 40xs lens yet. I have been shooting with my 35-70 F series lens. This is a nice size; my left hand actually holds the camera and the lens at the same time. And the lens is very light so it is not adding much to the weight.
5. SD door. I found i if I lay it flat and push it forward, rather then trying put it on from the top, it goes back pretty easily.

The controls feel much more precise than my K-R, thought that could do with it being new. The body is solid. It is not light but still lighter than most DSLR. Still learning all the options.

I have been just taking "play" shots so nothing to upload. I do have a question on using "non A" lens

On my K-R when I press the AV adjustment button when it is manual mode with a non a Lens it will set the exposure to what the camera things is correct. I can then adjust the shutter speed to what I want. Can the K-01 do the same. So far I have not been able to make that happen. Any suggestions?

More as I learn more.

03-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the camera set to AutoISO? M mode only works when AutoISO is turned off. I'm not sure but I think on the K-01 you have to use the Green Button instead of AV +/-. Red Button should give you DoF preview.

Last edited by Bramela; 03-15-2013 at 12:26 PM.
03-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

M mode with autoISO on k-01 is equivalent to TAv mode on the k-30 or k-5 etc. M mode with autoISO off and green button should work as the camera will set the shutter speed.

I also noticed that I can use Av mode with my M/K lens since when I turn the aperture ring on the lens, the aperture open and close (both for metering and shutter tripping). Not sure if it will do the same on your k-01.

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-15-2013 at 09:07 AM.
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club!

I actually told several of my colleagues that the Pentax K-01 was the WORST idea Pentax ever came up with when the camera was originally announced even though I never saw it in person or used it. I totally judged the book by its cover (or camera by its exterior) rather than looking at what the camera really offers as a photographic tool.

When the price came down to a measly $299 I figured it was a good excuse to see how good/bad the camera was and I didn't have high expectations (I was ready to resell it on eBay even before the camera arrived via FedEx). As it turned out I loved this camera and now I own two! The K-01 is a great camera -- not perfect -- but a great camera.

03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I was shopping for a backup camera for my 110D. I was focusing my search on the Fuji X cameras. When I discovered the K-01 at a quite reasonable price, I ignored the expert reviews and took a chance. I took both cameras on a winter vacation to Mississippi and never took the SLR out of the case.

I now dream about how, if I had the resources, I would use the K-01 as the base for my "perfect" camera.
03-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
I like reading what others say about the K-01 so I thought I would add my voice.

These are just first impressions but I just got my white K-01 yesterday. I, too, like a lot of people on this forum, wrote it off based on the reviews and then decided to buy it when the cost of it was only $100 more than the cost of the 40xs lens. I read over and over how folks like me actually got the camera and found it to exceed their expectations.

Things we I have found so far

1. The screen quality is amazing. The pictures are so clear and I can tell what I have capture. I have used it in the mid day sun but so far I am impressed.
2. Image quality is better than my K-R. I have always read about how great the image quality of the 16mp sensor was but didn't think I would notice it. I notice it.
3. Formfactor. I know this has been very controversial on this camera but I adapted very quickly. I hold in my left hand and use my right to change setting and steady it when I shoot.
4 Autofocus. Fast enough. I updated the firmware to 1.03 within hours of getting it and it seems to be fast enough. I am not even using the 40xs lens yet. I have been shooting with my 35-70 F series lens. This is a nice size; my left hand actually holds the camera and the lens at the same time. And the lens is very light so it is not adding much to the weight.
5. SD door. I found i if I lay it flat and push it forward, rather then trying put it on from the top, it goes back pretty easily.

The controls feel much more precise than my K-R, thought that could do with it being new. The body is solid. It is not light but still lighter than most DSLR. Still learning all the options.

I have been just taking "play" shots so nothing to upload. I do have a question on using "non A" lens

On my K-R when I press the AV adjustment button when it is manual mode with a non a Lens it will set the exposure to what the camera things is correct. I can then adjust the shutter speed to what I want. Can the K-01 do the same. So far I have not been able to make that happen. Any suggestions?

More as I learn more.
I convinced a friend to buy one, so I got to try it out. I really want one now. It's another camera that can double for a hammer. Excellent build quality. It fits well in the hands too. I'm jealous, enjoy the camera.
03-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

With regard to the SD card, I find it hard to slide and open the rubber skin cover correctly without ripping it off (eventually if I do that often enough) as I put in/remove SD card quite often during test shots. That is just not as convenient as my k-5. Not complaining but just not a very efficient design IMHO, just sayin...

03-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. boriscleto what should the green button option be set to. I can't get the shutter speed to change.
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
With regard to the SD card, I find it hard to slide and open the rubber skin cover correctly without ripping it off
There's a technique that makes it easy - just lay it flat and slide it in rather than pressing down. Many people have your reaction at first - it is hard the way we want to do it at first, but once learned the slide-in method works great.
03-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Having shot about 200 pics on this camera with XS 40mm and a cheap manual Super Albinon 28mm f2.8, I'm absolutely loving this camera too for its intuitive interface and image quality. The green button is my only gripe when using the manual lens. I find myself pressing OK button to zoom in for accurate focus and then having to reach for the green button to get the exposure. It'd be much better if the AE function can be assigned to a button closer to OK.
Very well built machine with great functionality otherwise.
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found it. Set the green button to GREEN Button. Duh! Different than the K-R.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
Thanks for the help. boriscleto what should the green button option be set to. I can't get the shutter speed to change.
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's a technique that makes it easy - just lay it flat and slide it in rather than pressing down. Many people have your reaction at first - it is hard the way we want to do it at first, but once learned the slide-in method works great.
However, it remains a stupid design! As much as I love the camera, that feature was a mistake.
03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RustyWrangler Quote
However, it remains a stupid design! As much as I love the camera, that feature was a mistake.
yup!!
03-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I leave the rubber flap dangle when I remove the card.
It reminds that there's not a card in the camera when I pick it up again.
Great feature for senior citizens!
03-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I leave the rubber flap dangle when I remove the card.
It reminds that there's not a card in the camera when I pick it up again.
Great feature for senior citizens!
And I leave the door open on my 110D when the card is out for the same reason as you. The hard plastic door just feels more secure.