Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Today, the end of the trail. Drove downtown to a movie/TV supply shop, bought a roll of gaffer tape. Resisted blowing the bank account on all the other really neat stuff there! Back home, put a little rubber cement around the edges of the Hoodman 3" loupe, glued it to the back of the K-01. Then, cut pieces of the gaffer tape to go around the sides of the loupe. Put some more rubber cement inbetween the tape and the hard-rubber sides of the loupe. Put my two criss-crossed rubber bands back, and I'm all set.

This works very well for me. But glad I took your advice to avoid permanent gluing. Very glad... who knows what the future will bring? But for now, this makes the K-01 just perfect!

Attached Images

03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I like the Carry Speed VF-3 DSLR Viewfinder.
If I ever buy an LCD ViewFinder, I think this would be the one.
No sticky stuff on my camera thanks

Carry Speed VF-3 DSLR Viewfinder Full Review - YouTube
03-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only drawback I can see -- besides several comments about poor quality on Amazon -- is that you no longer have a tripod socket with it on the camera. Also, they say you still need to tape up the sides to block the little bit of light that comes through. But i like the idea of it... I'll bet it would fit on a K-01?
03-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No, you don't lose the tripod threaded socket, in fact you get two extra. There are three mounts on the supplied base plate. Further to that, the base plate itself is a standard Arca Swiss base plate, so any ball head with an Arca Swiss mount works straight away with the VF-3, nothing more to add.

► Skip to @ 3:56

There should be no light if you adjusted it correctly. Check out the video reviews, you get a good look at it.
Another advantage it that it also works with dSLRs that have a battery grip, there's enough adjustment in the 3-way mount for this.

There are pro's using this rig. Reviews I've watched and read say it's good quality. It appears to be as well.
I don't know what you're reading Jon, but the reviews I see at Amazon are pretty much all 5 star. Try to re-focus
Amazon.com: VF-3 Swivi Universal LCD View Finder for DSLR: Camera & Photo

Reviews worth reading:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/11/10/review-carry-speed-vf-3-universal-lcd-view-finder/

http://cheesycam.com/carry-speed-vf-3-48-hour-sale-99-99/
Read the comments

03-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I haven't seen this suggestion yet- try using that 3M stuff they use for mounting wall hooks with 'Command Adhesive' range.
It pulls off clean, is quite thick so would block light well.
The only negative is you need to leave the tabs sticking out if you want to take it off.
03-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Only drawback I can see is that you no longer have a tripod socket with it on the camera.
This should settle that question

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwuzSrP1IR4SM0FwelF2T0swS2M/preview
03-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what I did for my Fuji E550. Don't much care about losing the tripod mount, the lcd is good enough with a tripod. It works great and didn't cost more than the camera.

Attached Images

Last edited by DeepThrob; 01-28-2015 at 08:58 PM.
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #23

Clearviewer

Why not use a clearviewer. Here are some images of my clearviewers on the Pentax Q. They come in versions that mount either in the shoe or via the tripod socket. See the images I posted in the clearviewer thread in the Pentax Q forum...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/217892-clearviewer.html
03-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Is the Clearviewer going to be of any use in full bright sun?
03-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried a Clearviewer on my Olympus XZ-1, and sent it back. Two reasons -- first, it didn't stop strong sun glare on bright sunny days. Second, its main effect was to magnify the screen pixels, which was no help to me, as I am nearsighted, and could see them well enough to start with.
03-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Is the Clearviewer going to be of any use in full bright sun?
Good question. When I hold my Q and view through the clearviewer, I follow the suggestion to shield the screen by placing my hand to shield the screen. It actually is better than trying the same with the camera held away from my in the "dirty diaper hold".
03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #27

I tried a Clearviewer on my Olympus XZ-1, and sent it back. Two reasons -- first, it didn't stop strong sun glare on bright sunny days. Second, its main effect was to magnify the screen pixels, which was no help to me, as I am nearsighted, and could see them well enough to start with.
As I mentioned in another reply, when I hold my Q and view through the clearviewer, I follow the suggestion to shield the screen by placing my hand to shield the screen. It actually is better than trying the same with the camera held away from my in the "dirty diaper hold".

The key for this to work is that I am able to hold the camera up to my eye. I am also nearsighted, but wear glasses to correct my presbyopia. With the clearviewer, I can hold my Q up to my eye. It is more stable and with a baseball hat and/or my left hand, I can shield the LCD from the glare and it is quite useful outside. The second key is the good image stabilization and autofocus.

The reason I like the clearviewer is that the tripod socket mount version can fold making it very easy to carry. See my pictures of the Q with clearviewer in the clearviewer thread in the Pentax Q forum. Otherwise, the hoodman style is MUCH better since the LCD is shaded. It is also more bulky.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/217892-clearviewer.html

This thread proves that Pentax made a significant error is designing the Q and the K-01 without an optional or integrated EVF. Pentax is not alone in this human interface error. Look at the Nikon J1/J2/J3/S1, the Canon S90/S100/S110 and EOS-M, the Panasonic GF-3, and the Sony RX-100.

Sony corrected their design error when they updated the Nex 5 to 5n, introduced the NEX F3, NEX 7 and NEX 6. They also continue to err with the new NEX 3n.

Olympus err'd with the Pen EP1, but all micro fourthirds PENs since then have had an EVF option as well as the XZ-1 and XZ-2. The XZ-2 is notable since it has the accessory port for the accessory EVF, but the nearly identical Pentax MX-1 does not. Pentax continues to introduce cameras without the option for an EVF. This is very frustrating. In fact, the VF2 EVF used by olympus is identical to the EVF being offered for the new Leica M type 240 (and the Olympus EVF will operate when attached to the Leica.
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Hoodman with my Q and find it easy to simply hold the hood & camera together I feel no need to attach them.

just sayin'
03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I use a Hoodman with my Q and find it easy to simply hold the hood & camera together I feel no need to attach them.

just sayin'
Yea, that works and I did it for a while but I kept 'loseing' it.
03-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #30

Has anyone ever glued a Hoodman Loupe to your LCD screen? Not glued to an adapter, but gluing the hard-rubber loupe directly to the camera plastic or metal surrounding the screen... a permanent connection.

If you have, what glue did you use? I am guessing that crazy-glue... like Gorilla glue... would work?
Hi - I am a newby here. I use my K01 with a removable loupe so I don't have to wear glasses all the time as well as being able to hold the camera steady with a telephoto lens. It also means I can see the screen in sunlight. Have a look at my introduction page to see. The solution is neat and damages nothing and costs very little.