Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hoodman Loupe glue update, after about 2 weeks of use.

Hoodman Loupe update, after about 2 weeks of use.

1. Don't bother trying to glue it on with rubber cement -- it won't hold. The rubber cement won't stick to the loupe... it is absorbed into the Hoodman hard rubber body. The good news? As it turns out, you don't have to glue it on at all.

Because gaffers tape holds it on just fine. This tape is fantastic -- and you can always peel it off without leaving sticky residue. Thanks, Hollywood!

2. Gaffers tape sticks very well to the K-01 body, but poorly to the Hoodman hard rubber body. Went back today and wrapped the loupe body with gaffers tape, to secure it to the pieces of gaffers tape coming from the K-01 (pic below).

3. The rubber bands loosen up a bit with time... but I'm leaving them on just in case the tape lets go.

User report -- Pros: attaching the loupe makes the K-01 a real joy to use. I can always see the subject. Great for moving cars and planes. Easy to see and use the menus. Looks 'professional', as many pros have taped-up gear. Cons: makes the camera larger (but not heavier). Looks messy to amateur photographers, with their pristine gear.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
04-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #32
Forum Member

The ingenious person who I bought my K01 from had attached a hasselblad style folding viewfinder to the back with velcro. It's fantastic. Doubles as a screen protector when not in use. If I need to see the full image (edges are just outside the view), with the velcro it pulls of easy.
04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #33

Clearviewer

I received my clearviewer for the K01 today.

ClearViewer order page

Dramatic improvement in seeing the LCD for framing and confirming focus.

Two attached pictures.

One shows the clearviewer attached to the K-01 extended for use. The other picture shows the clearviewer retracted.
Attached Images

04-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

And what if the sun is behind you, will this burn a hole in your LCD?

I find this device astonishingly odd tbh..

04-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Behind you, and also to the side. Like in mid-afternoon or mid-morning, the sun to the side and a little behind washes out the screen,
04-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Behind you, and also to the side. Like in mid-afternoon or mid-morning, the sun to the side and a little behind washes out the screen,
When I use the K-01 outside, the K-01 is held up to my head. The lens and the screen are essentially shielded by my head. Side light can be shielded with my LEFT hand. I do not have a solution from light originating from my right.

I do not keep the clearviewer deployed without being present.

I use the clearviewer with the K-01 hand held for eye level use only.

If I was to use a loup while mounting the camera on a tripod, I plan to acquire a Swivi. It's base doubles as an arca-swiss quick mount plate. The hood/loup has a shutter to block all light to the LCD.

One other solution I have seen is from jinfinace via eBay. He has a mount for the Rx100 that allows a Hasselblad folding waist level finder with it's folding magnifier as a hood / cover/ loup. I don't know if he can configure his mount/adapter for the K-01.

Adapter Use Hasselblad Waist Finder LCD Viewfinder Hood with Sony RX100 | eBay

Of course, this is all an issue since Pentax did not choose to incorporate an EVF in the K-01 design.
04-05-2013, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It doesn't for me. From the right your shutter hand is blocking the light. From behind your head is blocking the light. From the left your other hand is blocking the light. Only at direct midday above you is there possibly a light issue if you want to shoot at high noon in harsh sunlight. Not my type of shot so never a problem for me but baseball cap should easily sort that out, or move your left hand up just like shielding your eyes.

I'm actually flummoxed by the whole point of using a K-01 with such a large and cumbersome hoodman permanently attached to it. Why not just get the more elegant inbuilt viewfinder solution of a K-30 instead?
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
And what if the sun is behind you, will this burn a hole in your LCD?

I find this device astonishingly odd tbh..
Are you referring to a possible Clearviewer issue? I think you're being a bit selective - how would it be any different to a hoodman or any other loupe/magnifier held up directly to the sun?

Anyway, it can also fold down, so when not in use simply fold it out of the way unlike the Hoodman or other fixed-types.

04-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anthony wrote -- "I'm actually flummoxed by the whole point of using a K-01 with such a large and cumbersome hoodman permanently attached to it. Why not just get the more elegant inbuilt viewfinder solution of a K-30 instead?"

Well, for me it was cost. On sale, the K-01 was SO much less expensive. But then something funny happened. I found that I really, really like the K-01! And, now that I've attached the Hoodman loupe to it (pic above), I'm enjoying this HUGE faux EVF viewfinder. Which, with a baseball hat tilted to one side or the other, or worn backwards, ends sun glare and reflections.

Now you MIGHT get me interested in a K-5 IIs with an 18-135mm WR lens. From what I've heard, a great camera, waterproof, etc. But that package is about US $1,500 right now. Great value for the money... but still a lot of money. As a retired amateur photographer, that's a concern... it's not like I can make it back through assignments. And, before I bought it, I'd like to see through that K-5 IIs viewfinder! Is it optical overlaid with digital info? that would be nice. But if its an EVF, hey, got one already...

Last edited by jon404; 04-06-2013 at 12:38 AM.
04-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #40

Anthony wrote -- "I'm actually flummoxed by the whole point of using a K-01 with such a large and cumbersome hoodman permanently attached to it. Why not just get the more elegant inbuilt viewfinder solution of a K-30 instead?"

Well, for me it was cost. On sale, the K-01 was SO much less expensive. But then something funny happened. I found that I really, really like the K-01! And, now that I've attached the Hoodman loupe to it (pic above), I'm enjoying this HUGE faux EVF viewfinder. Which, with a baseball hat tilted to one side or the other, or worn backwards, ends sun glare and reflections.

Now you MIGHT get me interested in a K-5 IIs with an 18-135mm WR lens. From what I've heard, a great camera, waterproof, etc. But that package is about US $1,500 right now. Great value for the money... but still a lot of money. As a retired amateur photographer, that's a concern... it's not like I can make it back through assignments. And, before I bought it, I'd like to see through that K-5 IIs viewfinder! Is it optical overlaid with digital info? that would be nice. But if its an EVF, hey, got one already...
Exactly my point.

The K-01 has superb image quality. With the 40xs, less than $400. Add a 2nd hand 18-55 WR, and for $520 that is a great system. Much less expensive than a K-30 or K-5 IIs.

I think that the K-30 is a superb camera. Great AF, very good optical viewfinder.

The clearviewer allows me to compensate for the lack of a viewfinder on the K-01 and be able to see the EVF held near my eyes. That position is more natural and more stable for me. The clearviewer allows me to compensate for me inability to accommodate and focus on the screen.

The hoodman or Swivi also allows me to focus on the screen.

Measuring the space on the K-01 between the LCD and the top of the "flash" housing shows adequate room for the fitting of an EVF eyepiece. From camerasize.com, the Pentax K-01 is 1% (1.1 mm) wider and 18% (12.1 mm) taller than Sony NEX-6. The Sony has an EVF and is smaller in height and width than the K-01. An EVF could have been incorporated in the K-01. (Yes I know the NEX uses a shorter LCD...)

I think that if the K-01 had an integrated EVF it would have been much more successful. I also do not think the great closeout deals would have appeared.

With an EVF, there would have been no need for use of a clearviewer or hoodman style loup.
Attached Images

04-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #41
Site Supporter

The approach I am taking is that the K-01 is for low light/indoor use and I will continue using the ist ds outdoors.
Last weekend I used the ist ds outside in bright sun for family shots and at iso 200 & awb the color fidelity and sharpness of the camera jpgs is still excellent compared to the k-01. ( the ist-ds has a ccd sensor)
The button placement and body grips on the ist-ds are much better than the k-01, the controls/menus are simple and I can't fault the ist ds consistent spot focus confirmation with the M lenses.
I use the rubber eycup on the ist ds with the diopter set, no eyeglasses and sometimes the Magnifier M.

On the other hand the K-01 is all over the ist ds indoors and in P or auto mode in AF, anybody can use it to get a good shot.

Further comparison for traveling: The ist ds body is same weight and size as the K-01, ist-ds battery life is months, so I see no advantage of the K-01 for travel.
04-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #42
Forum Member

BTW, here's one nice option for you:
VF-3 LCD Viewfinder by Carry Speed on PhotoWhoa
04-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Measuring the space on the K-01 between the LCD and the top of the "flash" housing shows adequate room for the fitting of an EVF eyepiece. From camerasize.com, the Pentax K-01 is 1% (1.1 mm) wider and 18% (12.1 mm) taller than Sony NEX-6. The Sony has an EVF and is smaller in height and width than the K-01. An EVF could have been incorporated in the K-01. (Yes I know the NEX uses a shorter LCD...) I think that if the K-01 had an integrated EVF it would have been much more successful. I also do not think the great closeout deals would have appeared.
There's also the problem of the SR chassis. The K-01's sensor/SR chassis is right up against the LCD, and is already notched at the top for the flash/hotshoe. An EVF below the hotshoe would interfere with both the hotshoe and the SR chassis. It also would have required some additional real estate on the main circuit board. Although it's a lot thinner, the Sony just has more volume to work with, thanks to less than half the register distance and no in-body IS. There's probably room on the K-01 for a corner EVF if the "hump" was extended to the left, but that would be really ugly (or uglier, if you prefer) - probably better to go bigger and use a conventional dSLR body like the K-x. Even if Pentax ate the cost of the EVF and kept the launch price the same, it still would be kind of high for the equivalent of a low/mid-range SLR.
04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #44

The Hoodman loupe is way too big and bulky and defeats the purpose of this somewhat smaller camera. I just use the Delkin 3" shade on the screen. Fits perfectly, and can be removed without harming the camera if you change your mind.
04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by EchoOscar Quote
BTW, here's one nice option for you:
VF-3 LCD Viewfinder by Carry Speed on PhotoWhoa
That is the swivi I mentioned in my post above. It is available from several vendors including Carry Speed.