Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
There's also the problem of the SR chassis. The K-01's sensor/SR chassis is right up against the LCD, and is already notched at the top for the flash/hotshoe. An EVF below the hotshoe would interfere with both the hotshoe and the SR chassis. It also would have required some additional real estate on the main circuit board. Although it's a lot thinner, the Sony just has more volume to work with, thanks to less than half the register distance and no in-body IS. There's probably room on the K-01 for a corner EVF if the "hump" was extended to the left, but that would be really ugly (or uglier, if you prefer) - probably better to go bigger and use a conventional dSLR body like the K-x. Even if Pentax ate the cost of the EVF and kept the launch price the same, it still would be kind of high for the equivalent of a low/mid-range SLR.
First, because of the quality of the sensor, similar to the sensor of the K5, the K-01 is a viewfinder less, mirror less, version of the K5 and can not be considered the equivalent of a low/mid-range SLR. It is a higher quality camera.

The longer register distance of the Pentax actually gives the Pentax MORE VOLUME than the Sony to work with.

I grant that the dimensions of the in-body IS needs to be accommodated? I just think it could have been solved if it was a priority.

I just think that the K-01 should have been an EVF variant of the K5, not a mirror less/viewfinder less variant.

I also grant that a KX/KR/K5/K30 all are superb cameras to use outside, maybe a better solution than the K-01.

For now, I will use the K-01 with the Clearviewer inside or when traveling. For deliberate macro work outside, I will use a Carry Spped Swivi VF-3, especially since it has a variable diopter loupe, a shutter to prevent light from reaching the LCD when not in use, and the base doubles as a arcs-swiss quick mount plate for use on a tripod.

04-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Went to a car show today. Cloudy, then cloudy-bright, then sunny. Zero problems with my attached loupe. Worked perfectly. Re size of camera -- I noticed that people gave me a lot of space, particularly when I dropped down on one knee to take a low-angle image. But even standing, I just had... space. Able to position myself exactly where I wanted to be. Very different from the smartphone guys, who had a hard time getting a clear shot. I don't think the K-01 looks particularly intimidating, but it IS big, and now, with the loupe, even bigger. A great street and event camera!
Attached Images

04-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
First, because of the quality of the sensor, similar to the sensor of the K5, the K-01 is a viewfinder less, mirror less, version of the K5 and can not be considered the equivalent of a low/mid-range SLR. It is a higher quality camera. The longer register distance of the Pentax actually gives the Pentax MORE VOLUME than the Sony to work with.
My called it a low/mid-range based on it being less capable than the K-30, which is a mid-level, but sometimes described as entry-level, just because there's nothing below it. An EVF K-01 would still have been crticized for its slow AF performance and being larger than other MILCs (whether or not it's a fair comparison).

There's more overall volume, but unfortunately, an awful lot of it has to be empty space in front of the sensor or around the sensor. Cameras with shorter register distances and no IBIS can use that volume for electronics, tilty/flippy LCDs, or whatever. The K-01 has considerably less volume behind the sensor than any other Pentax dSLR; they even went with a pancake lens to make it look smaller. As hard as they squeezed, I'm going to assume that the SR chassis is as thin as they could get it at this time. They need a breakthrough there.

The sun was right behind me this evening when I was trying to shoot a flower located well over my head, so I had to use my deluxe custom LCD shade. I call it "my left hand".
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caver3d Quote
The Hoodman loupe is way too big and bulky and defeats the purpose of this somewhat smaller camera. I just use the Delkin 3" shade on the screen. Fits perfectly, and can be removed without harming the camera if you change your mind.
How effective do you think the Delkin is in sunny weather? I just got one but haven't had the chance to put it through its paces.

04-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
How effective do you think the Delkin is in sunny weather? I just got one but haven't had the chance to put it through its paces.
It's made a huge difference for me. The only time I still have difficult is when the sun is shining in my face - the reflection of my face in the LCD can be very bright. The Delkin shade includes a very shiny clear protector over the screen. That protector is actually more reflective than the screen itself. Some Amazon reviewers recommend leaving the protector off because of the shine. You have to remove the protector from the frame before you install the frame on the camera.

There's another shade by Enhance that's similar but it looks like the screen protector is matte. It's about the same price so I will probably just buy one of the Enhance units and see if it's any better once my Delkin has seen a few miles.
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Site Supporter

I imagine that it is not uncommon for the sun to be shining in one's face.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
It's made a huge difference for me. The only time I still have difficult is when the sun is shining in my face - the reflection of my face in the LCD can be very bright. The Delkin shade includes a very shiny clear protector over the screen. That protector is actually more reflective than the screen itself. Some Amazon reviewers recommend leaving the protector off because of the shine. You have to remove the protector from the frame before you install the frame on the camera.

There's another shade by Enhance that's similar but it looks like the screen protector is matte. It's about the same price so I will probably just buy one of the Enhance units and see if it's any better once my Delkin has seen a few miles.
04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
I got a Delkin last summer, and it helped a lot in the Florida sun. Unfortunately, though, before it had seen many miles it developed the habit of popping off its mount whenever I tried to flip it open--and sometimes on its own. It dropped to the ground or floor a number of times, and the next to last time it did that, one of the side flaps disappeared. Then not long after that the rest of the thing came off and hid itself. It may be in a crevice in the car somewhere, but it's not worth the trouble of looking for it.

So if you get a Delkin, watch out. It has to be treated with constant attention and the greatest tenderness, or it will divorce itself.

Has anyone tried an Enhance shade? Are they more faithful?
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I imagine that it is not uncommon for the sun to be shining in one's face.
Well, that's imagining. Why not spend the $9 and see if you like it.

04-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #54
Site Supporter

I got a Delkin a few days ago. Just haven't had the chance to test it out on a sunny day. Hopefully we will have some sun in the New York area this weekend.

Also, would love to hear how the Enhance one compares to the Delkin and whether it is worth making the switch.
04-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noticed today that Hoodman, obviously inspired by my loupe plus rubberband plus gaffer tape solution (photo above), is now selling a Custom Loupe bolt-on contraption for, hold on, $200. Imagine that!
04-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #56

As others have already mentioned, the Delkin actually works fairly well in sunny weather. The shade really does make it easier to see the screen. For me, for $10 it was a no-brainer. I also like the fact that it is collapsible, so you can close it and put the camera back in your bag with no problem.

Try it.
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #57

Waiting for my Carry Speed vf3 to arrive.
The Delkin or similar shades was not an option for me as I need my reading glasses to see the screen. I dont like taking my glasses on and off everytime I take a picture so something with a diopter is a must. And I tend to forget them at home when I'm out shooting anyway.

Last edited by hypernotactive; 04-12-2013 at 04:30 PM.
04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #58

delkin is a bit shiny IMO and this was just in Scottish 'sun'
04-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #59
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Stearns Quote
Just glue the hoodman to your eye and bring the camera up to it.
ROTFL !!!!!!
04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #60

Take one shot (not more) of your fine single malt, and everything will look better.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimbotheScot Quote
delkin is a bit shiny IMO and this was just in Scottish 'sun'