Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Loupe beats d600 viewfinder by a mile!

This afternoon in the state park (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/222252-landscape-torrey-...san-diego.html), a guy asked me if I could take a photo of him and his family... the wife, and two kids. He handed me a new Nikon d600, and, assured that all I had to do was press the shutter button, I composed a picture in the eye-level viewfinder. Got them all on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea, click.

But here's the story. The viewfinder was terrible! Really, really teeny. This ain't a Canon Owl, folks. I have no idea how he could ever get a good picture... it was like looking down a black tunnel. How the mighty have fallen! The d600's viewfinder is nowhere near as good as the one on my old Nikon FM3a film camera.

It is also nowhere near as good -- almost laughably worse -- than my 3" Hoodman loupe plus-gaffers-tape K-01 attachment. Seeing the whole huge back LCD screen spoils you. It is so clear. You can easily adjust your exposure-lock point, and your focus point. Boy, did I luck out with the K-01... it's so easy to gaffer-tape the loupe to the camera body, without obscuring any of the controls. Do I care what it looks like? God no. I care what my pictures look like, not my camera!

Holding up just fine --

Attached Images