Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glue a Hoodman loupe to a K-01?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone ever glued a Hoodman Loupe to your LCD screen? Not glued to an adapter, but gluing the hard-rubber loupe directly to the camera plastic or metal surrounding the screen... a permanent connection.

If you have, what glue did you use? I am guessing that crazy-glue... like Gorilla glue... would work?

03-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yikes!
Don't do it, Jon
03-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Yikes!
Don't do it, Jon
+1

but you can also buy a spare K-01 for working withourt the hoodman
03-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't do it, the K-01 does work best with some form of loupe especially when hand held, but if you get a single point fixing strap it gets around the problem of fitting and removing the loupe with the two point fitting neck strap supplied fitted to the camera and using the bungee rubbers fitted to the Hoodman.

I use one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200848333166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I know it doesn't look strong enough, but they can hold well over 10Kg. But if you do want something stronger you can always get an Optech strap. Albeit at three times the price.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
03-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well. Maybe I'll back off a bit, don't want to commit (gasp) sacrilege defacing Newson's wonderful design, at least not permanently. Newly-minted Pope Francis might send me to photo purgatory, too... where the only cameras you ever see are Nikons and Canons.

Today, am thinking a bead of rubber cement (removable later), and some gaffer's tape around the edges (comes off later without residue). That, plus a couple of rubber bands, should do the trick.

And, will wait a few days to see if like the loupe as much as I think I do. So far, it is wonderful. Suddenly, a 3" EVF... and it's adjustable to my nearsighted glasses, which is excellent.

Chris, thanks for the strap info, and for being the 'canary in a coal mine' to see if it breaks! The Pentax neck strap is awkward, it keeps getting caught on things.
03-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

sacrilege

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Well. Maybe I'll back off a bit, don't want to commit (gasp) sacrilege defacing Newson's wonderful design
If putting rubber bands and cheap chinese straps on pious Pope Newson's design helps your photography, by all means go ahead and do it!!! I hate his name plastered over everything and all the product descriptions, handcuffing the marketing of the equipment, like he owns my use of it or something. Just don't put glue on the body, it will reduce your flexibility in the future. Just an opinion, of course.....

03-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
A lot of glues made for plastics work by melting the plastic together. If you can't resist and do glue the loupe on, don't glue it to the screen. I don't know exactly where the Hoodman would line up, but glue on the screen would be a major bad thing. If you glue it to the camera body try a spot on the bottom first so that it can't be seen if it melts. Of course I would have to agree with the others that gluing would not be a good thing period.

Remember, Newson is going to be very collectible in the future and you don't want to ruin you're future $10,000 camera

03-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Use some double sided tape. That's what came with my Delkin shade and it seemed sticky enough to hold the shade but not leave any permanent damage.
03-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good advice about the glue -- I'm leaning toward rubber cement, which is fairly harmless, and removable.

Will also say a prayer to St. Veronica, the patron saint of photographers (and laundry workers). Apparently, she made the world's first contact print, as the cloth she wiped Jesus' face with then developed his image. With Easter coming up, this is probably the best time to get a word in, before I actually glue anything.

post_eos -- I wonder if we could get a reverse mortgage on the future value of our K-01s? As for collectible, I should have bought the yellow one, but I was worried that it would show dirt too easily. It's a good bet -- whether our cameras will appreciate like mini-Leicas, or depreciate like mini-Edsels. We'll see!
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friend drilled a hole in the bottom of the Hoodman body. A small aluminum plate attaches that to the tripod socket of his Pentax Q. Works well and easy to remove. Should work as well with the K-01. My yellow brick may get one soon. The Q too.
thanks
barondla
03-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would this be any use? Or something similar? You might need to hook the two loops together in front, or criss-cross them so the left one doesn't slip off the side, but something may work out.

Hoodman Cinema Strap, Holds Hoodloupe, Video Shooting HSLRM

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-16-2013 at 10:26 PM.
03-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hang it around your neck and then place it against the camera when you shoot, pressing against your eye-socket should be enough to keep it there surely?
03-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Would this be any use? Or something similar? You might need to hook the two loops together in front, or criss-cross them so the left one doesn't slip off the side, but something may work out.

Hoodman Cinema Strap, Holds Hoodloupe, Video Shooting HSLRM
I vote for this or double sided tape, Ixnay on the asticplay ueglay.
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Just glue the hoodman to your eye and bring the camera up to it.
03-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To ChrisJ -- today, per your advice, I re-attached the Pentax strap to make it a 'single-point' strap. There was enough room to put both ends through a single side-bracket -- I used the one on the flash Up button side of the camera. It is better than before! Thanks for the tip.

To Rob22315 et al -- "Roma die uno non aedificata est!" Stay tuned tomorrow for definitive developments on this Hoodman project...
Attached Images

Last edited by jon404; 03-17-2013 at 11:53 PM.