Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pretty tough stuff (the camera)

Well, after being out on my feet and in the sun all day at a St. Paddy Parade, I came home and switched over to an old 50 1.7 to do some experimenting with the old manual for a while. I should have guessed that my fine motor skills were lacking already as I had managed to drop a cup of ice cream in the car on the way home, but I digress... I put on the 50, sat the camera down for a sec, then reached and grabbed it in a way I normally don't. Instead of scooping up the camera strap first, then grabbing the body, I just grabbed it from the top of the lens. The strap promptly snagged on a draw knob. This jerked the camera out of my hand and, more or less, flung the camera extra hard, lens first, into the floor.

I picked it up to find that the haze filter I had on the lens had saved my lens by taking the brunt of the fall. It was shattered and bent so far that I had to get my Dremel out and cut it off of the 50. It was a painful process that left a few, minor cuts on the body of the lens.

All that said, the K-01 was rock solid. I snapped some photos after that with the 50 and didn't have any problems. I'm fairly impressed. It was the hardest fall I've ever let any camera take in my life.

03-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear that your camera is okay.

Once I knocked into a leg of my tripod, sending my K20d to the concrete three feet below. Thankfully, it landed on the battery grip and only damaged that and the camera was fine.
03-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once when I was in a camera shop to by a lens for my K5 another customer picked up a new camera the wrong way. The strap must got caught somewhere sending a brand new camera flying through the air, dropping on concrete floor and skidding for a couple of meters on the floor. I had a closer look, smiled and said: ah, it's a K5... You'll be fine. And he was. :-) (Shop assistants too were only worried about the lense and not the camera...)