Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can't do without accessories K-01

I can't resist what others have been enjoying so I found myself finally purchasing a (white) K-01.
It is still on its way being shipped but I want to know from users here what king of accessories they can't do without with the K-01.
Please forego the given SDHC cards or extra batteries, but I'm thinking more of the lines like the LCD viewfinders..or rangefinder viewfinders, etc.
Do I really need them?
If you feel that it is a very good additional/helpful accessory, what is it and what brand would be the best or is recommended.
Thanks in advance from a future owner of a K-01.

03-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I bought a Delkin hood when I ordered the camera. I have not needed or used it yet. I would recommend getting only the camera, carefully read the manual; shoot lots of pictures to get the feel for how it works. Then evaluate what you might need in the way of accessories. You will make smarter consumer decisions once you are familiar with the camera.
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I've added is a handstrap that makes holding it a whole lot easier, or at least safer for me.

Herringbone Heritage Hand Grip Camera Strap Black Type1 | eBay
03-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Gordy strap (get the longer one) and rangefinder viewfinder. 40Ltd lives on the camera.

03-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Maybe a tripod, but you dont really need anything. See how things work, then get the accessories you need.
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The only thing I've added is a handstrap that makes holding it a whole lot easier, or at least safer for me.

Herringbone Heritage Hand Grip Camera Strap Black Type1 | eBay
I understand the security of a hand strap; however, I use tension on the neck strap to provide a third point to hold the camera steady. This is my first camera with SR. I decided when I got the 100-D that it wasn't worth $100 to me. I'm old and set in my ways! But with SR and the neck strap, I can get acceptable photos down to 1/4 sec with the 40 xs. I don't like lugging my tripod, so this makes me happy.
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RustyWrangler Quote
I can get acceptable photos down to 1/4 sec with the 40 xs.
I just kick the ISO up. 6400 on the k-01 is just fine for most uses. I really hate neck straps.
03-18-2013, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Someone has to say it: Limited primes Sure, you can go with manual-focus small primes while you save up... you might even stop there. But if any camera is a fine match to those lenses, the K-01 and DA40/70 are pretty close to perfect (especially the white K-01 in my opinion).

03-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Someone has to say it: Limited primes Sure, you can go with manual-focus small primes while you save up... you might even stop there. But if any camera is a fine match to those lenses, the K-01 and DA40/70 are pretty close to perfect (especially the white K-01 in my opinion).
I'm finding that I am using my Limited Trio on the K-01 more than anything else too. The 15-40-70 Limited setup is perfect for the K-01.
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm finding that I am using my Limited Trio on the K-01 more than anything else too. The 15-40-70 Limited setup is perfect for the K-01.
Agree, though it's 21-40-70 for me.

I also am using the F 35-70 a lot on the k-01, not a whole lot bigger than the DA 70mm
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Seconding the suggestion of Limited primes; the 31mm is particularly pleasing on the K-01, it's rapidly becoming my favorite (Although, I recently re-discovered my mostly-ignored 21mm Ltd, which is giving it a run for the money).

Aside from that....

"Can't do without accessory" no. 1 is a bag. I find that the perfect camera bag for the K-01 is the LowePro Event Messenger 150 it holds the body with a handful of Ltd primes and one of the "bigger un's" like a 200/2.8 or 50-135/2.8 perfectly....AAAAAND an iPad (or other tablet) in a special room.

Which brings me to "can't do without accessory" no. 2, which is an EyeFi X2 card & a tablet. I know that they're decried by some, but I have mine set to "transfer all RAWs" to the iPad in direct mode, and it works perfectly.

Now, "can't do without accessory" no 3 is the O-GPS1. It's amazingly nice, once used to it, to have position -- but more importantly, camera angle -- of a photo, especially a bit afterwards.

I'll add: get an extra battery, or two. I can easily exhaust one and a half in a day of shooting. It takes a while to charge a battery that's fully depleted, about 6h or so.

I've found that if I'm somewhere, I charge one battery during the night (when I sleep), and charge one battery during the day (when I am out shooting, and burning up two batteries), 3 batteries is just about the right amount for me for photography-peaks.
03-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, how I wish I could afford primes.
Sure I could afford it but I have to starve my wife and kid in the process or walk to work by saving up on gas and not using my car.. =P
I already have tripods (..more than 5 now..ugh), since I have long used a K100D Super.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The only thing I've added is a handstrap that makes holding it a whole lot easier, or at least safer for me. Herringbone Heritage Hand Grip Camera Strap Black Type1 | eBay
Hand Straps I have always used on all cameras I bought and the extra one I got, I will try and find and see if it fits (looks right) on the K-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Gordy strap (get the longer one) and rangefinder viewfinder. 40Ltd lives on the camera.
The Gordy strap, I am not familiar with and what rangefinder viewfinder would you recommend?

Thanks to all the suggestions..keep 'em coming. =)
03-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
..the Eye-Fi I haven't tried but I have heard good praises about it..and the way you are using it is something of a good suggestion.
I just bought an extra battery and I was thinking of either buying just one (which I did) prior to your post "tclausen" so I guess I might try and get another one once I study the way I shoot with the K-01 and my thirst for batteries..good call though based on your experience. =)
03-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
..the Eye-Fi I haven't tried but I have heard good praises about it..and the way you are using it is something of a good suggestion.
I just bought an extra battery and I was thinking of either buying just one (which I did) prior to your post "tclausen" so I guess I might try and get another one once I study the way I shoot with the K-01 and my thirst for batteries..good call though based on your experience. =)
I should add that I do not use the built-in flash much, if at all, just a datapoint.

As for the EyeFi-to-iPad thing, there's an app called PhotoRaw that can actually read, edit and convert DNGs to high-quality jpeg's, and it works OK for highlight/shadow recovery etc., for field-work.
03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me it's FA31mm, DA*55mm and FA*85mm that do most off the tricks.

My latest new lens, the DA10-17mm fish eye is also wonderfull on the K-01.